NEC PC8001 Emulator (M88)

NEC PC8001 Emulator (M88)

Post by Ross Simpso » Sun, 07 Sep 2003 15:20:25



Hi There,

Can anyone here help me in relation to this emulator. I've downloaded this
emualator as a lzh file which wanted a MSVCP60.DLL file, I downloaded this
from a DLL file website unziped it with the emulator (M88.EXE) & got this
message:

MSVCP60.DLL file is linked to missing export MSVCRT.DLL:__lc_collate_cp, bit
still won't run. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong.

Also too, as far as I know this is the only emulator for NEC PC 8001
machines, I would have loved a DOS version, but there doesn't seem to be
any. Does anybody know if there are other emulators (such as Multi-Machine
or MTM) which might emulate a NEC PC 8001?

Cheers,
Ross.

 
 
 

NEC PC8001 Emulator (M88)

Post by Auric_ » Sun, 07 Sep 2003 18:58:33


On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 16:20:25 +1000, "Ross Simpson"


>Hi There,

>Can anyone here help me in relation to this emulator. I've downloaded this
>emualator as a lzh file which wanted a MSVCP60.DLL file, I downloaded this
>from a DLL file website unziped it with the emulator (M88.EXE) & got this
>message:

>MSVCP60.DLL file is linked to missing export MSVCRT.DLL:__lc_collate_cp, bit
>still won't run. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong.

>Also too, as far as I know this is the only emulator for NEC PC 8001
>machines, I would have loved a DOS version, but there doesn't seem to be
>any. Does anybody know if there are other emulators (such as Multi-Machine
>or MTM) which might emulate a NEC PC 8001?

>Cheers,
>Ross.

I can't help much with the emulation question, but I can help with the
DLL Hell. MSVCP & MSVCRT are Visual C++ runtime files - MSVC =
Microsoft Visual C++, RT = RunTime, P = ?

The error message you listed - "missing export" - means that you
probably have the wrong version of the DLL - you need the MSVCRT that
came with VC6. Search your system for MSVCRT.DLL and look at the
version info for each one (right-click, Properties, Version tab). If
the "File version" is at least 6.0.0.0 then you can try copying that
one to the folder where your emulator is installed and run it. While
you're at it, look for MSVCP60.DLL in the same folder that you found
MSVCRT and also copy that if it exists - things will probably go
smoother if both DLLs are the same version.
--
auric "underscore" "underscore" "at" hotmail "dot" com
*****
Only the mediocre are always at their best.

 
 
 

NEC PC8001 Emulator (M88)

Post by Ross Simpso » Sun, 07 Sep 2003 22:19:57



> I can't help much with the emulation question, but I can help with the
> DLL Hell. MSVCP & MSVCRT are Visual C++ runtime files - MSVC =
> Microsoft Visual C++, RT = RunTime, P = ?
> The error message you listed - "missing export" - means that you
> probably have the wrong version of the DLL - you need the MSVCRT that
> came with VC6. Search your system for MSVCRT.DLL and look at the
> version info for each one (right-click, Properties, Version tab). If
> the "File version" is at least 6.0.0.0 then you can try copying that
> one to the folder where your emulator is installed and run it. While
> you're at it, look for MSVCP60.DLL in the same folder that you found
> MSVCRT and also copy that if it exists - things will probably go
> smoother if both DLLs are the same version.

Thanks, that seems to have fixed it.The trouble was that even though I had a
updated version in with my emulator program (it was going to the file in
windows/system directory which was older, so I updated it!).

Unfortunately, it seems to be complaining about something else now in
Japanese  which I cannot figure out. I went back to the website I got some
files from (http://retropc.net/cisc/m88/) & downloaded what looked like BIOS
& Disk stuff, but it hasn't helped! :-(

Ross.

 
 
 

NEC PC8001 Emulator (M88)

Post by Auric_ » Mon, 08 Sep 2003 14:18:07


On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 23:19:57 +1000, "Ross Simpson"



>> I can't help much with the emulation question, but I can help with the
>> DLL Hell. MSVCP & MSVCRT are Visual C++ runtime files - MSVC =
>> Microsoft Visual C++, RT = RunTime, P = ?

>> The error message you listed - "missing export" - means that you
>> probably have the wrong version of the DLL - you need the MSVCRT that
>> came with VC6. Search your system for MSVCRT.DLL and look at the
>> version info for each one (right-click, Properties, Version tab). If
>> the "File version" is at least 6.0.0.0 then you can try copying that
>> one to the folder where your emulator is installed and run it. While
>> you're at it, look for MSVCP60.DLL in the same folder that you found
>> MSVCRT and also copy that if it exists - things will probably go
>> smoother if both DLLs are the same version.

>Thanks, that seems to have fixed it.The trouble was that even though I had a
>updated version in with my emulator program (it was going to the file in
>windows/system directory which was older, so I updated it!).

>Unfortunately, it seems to be complaining about something else now in
>Japanese  which I cannot figure out. I went back to the website I got some
>files from (http://retropc.net/cisc/m88/) & downloaded what looked like BIOS
>& Disk stuff, but it hasn't helped! :-(

>Ross.

If you can post the actual text of the error, I can translate it for
you (or at least try to).
--
auric "underscore" "underscore" "at" hotmail "dot" com
*****
Any IC protected by a fast acting fuse protects the fuse by blowing first.
 
 
 

NEC PC8001 Emulator (M88)

Post by Ross Simpso » Mon, 08 Sep 2003 16:37:41



> >Thanks, that seems to have fixed it.The trouble was that even though I
had a
> >updated version in with my emulator program (it was going to the file in
> >windows/system directory which was older, so I updated it!).
> >Unfortunately, it seems to be complaining about something else now in
> >Japanese  which I cannot figure out. I went back to the website I got
some
> >files from (http://retropc.net/cisc/m88/) & downloaded what looked like
BIOS
> >& Disk stuff, but it hasn't helped! :-(
> If you can post the actual text of the error, I can translate it for
> you (or at least try to).

I can probably send the gibberish I've got, but it probably won't mean all
that much to you. I don't have Japanese Support Text & I cannot seem to find
it to download anywhere!

But perhaps Windows needs it to, but Microsoft seem to be lacking downloads
for Win95! :-(

Ross.

 
 
 

NEC PC8001 Emulator (M88)

Post by Auric_ » Tue, 09 Sep 2003 06:43:18


On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 17:37:41 +1000, "Ross Simpson"



>> >Thanks, that seems to have fixed it.The trouble was that even though I
>had a
>> >updated version in with my emulator program (it was going to the file in
>> >windows/system directory which was older, so I updated it!).

>> >Unfortunately, it seems to be complaining about something else now in
>> >Japanese  which I cannot figure out. I went back to the website I got
>some
>> >files from (http://www.veryComputer.com/) & downloaded what looked like
>BIOS
>> >& Disk stuff, but it hasn't helped! :-(

>> If you can post the actual text of the error, I can translate it for
>> you (or at least try to).

>I can probably send the gibberish I've got, but it probably won't mean all
>that much to you. I don't have Japanese Support Text & I cannot seem to find
>it to download anywhere!

>But perhaps Windows needs it to, but Microsoft seem to be lacking downloads
>for Win95! :-(

>Ross.

You're running Win95? You should have mentioned that in your original
post. For one thing, Microsoft stopped supporting 95 a few years ago,
and stopped offering updates last year (I think).

Also, it's possible that your emulator won't run on Win95 - I've seen
some software that swears that it will run on 98 but not 95. (I never
tested any of them - I haven't run Win95 since I got Win2000.) If your
computer will support it and it's available, you might want to give
Win98 a try - it *might* solve this particular problem. (No guarantees,
though. Do this on a separate hard drive if you have one.) Of course,
this is kind of an extreme step just to get 1 program to work.
--
auric "underscore" "underscore" "at" hotmail "dot" com
*****
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
 -- Philip K.*

 
 
 

NEC PC8001 Emulator (M88)

Post by Auric_ » Tue, 09 Sep 2003 07:21:16




[snip]

Quote:>You're running Win95? You should have mentioned that in your original
>post. For one thing, Microsoft stopped supporting 95 a few years ago,
>and stopped offering updates last year (I think).

>Also, it's possible that your emulator won't run on Win95 - I've seen
>some software that swears that it will run on 98 but not 95. (I never
>tested any of them - I haven't run Win95 since I got Win2000.) If your
>computer will support it and it's available, you might want to give
>Win98 a try - it *might* solve this particular problem. (No guarantees,
>though. Do this on a separate hard drive if you have one.) Of course,
>this is kind of an extreme step just to get 1 program to work.

Okay, now that I've taken a look at the emulator's web site, here's a
few notes...

(All of this comes from http://retropc.net/cisc/m88/howto.html)
The list of requirements:
-a PC with at least a Celeron processor
-Windows 95 or later (so I was wrong about upgrading)
-Visual C++ 6 runtime files
-apparently, if you're using 5-1/4" floppies, you must have DOS Windows
95 or 98 (not too clear here)
-a Japanese 106-key keyboard or a PC-98 keyboard
-the ROM from the PC-88mkIISR or later (says PC-88VA is apparently known
good but PC-8801/mkII is not known)

The reference to a PC-98 keyboard may be a typo, meant to refer to a
PC-88 keyboard.

Apparently, to get the emulator working, you must first have access to
an actual PC-88, and get the ROMs either by somehow copying them to a
floppy at the PC-88 (doesn't seem to tell you how to do it) or by
downloading them via a serial cable. There is a chart that lists the
various ROM files, where they are located in memory, etc.

There are a couple of error messages that are listed, along with
probable causes. One indicates (I think) that you don't have the
necessary ROM files - probably the error that you got. The other error
listed has two possible causes, one of which is a virus. (Just to be
safe, you should do a virus scan.)
--
auric "underscore" "underscore" "at" hotmail "dot" com
*****
I make a sound of pleasure at your shortcomings!
 -- Mojo Jojo

 
 
 

NEC PC8001 Emulator (M88)

Post by Ross Simpso » Tue, 09 Sep 2003 07:23:50



> >But perhaps Windows needs it to, but Microsoft seem to be lacking
downloads
> >for Win95! :-(
> You're running Win95? You should have mentioned that in your original
> post. For one thing, Microsoft stopped supporting 95 a few years ago,
> and stopped offering updates last year (I think).

Sorry

Quote:> Also, it's possible that your emulator won't run on Win95 - I've seen
> some software that swears that it will run on 98 but not 95. (I never
> tested any of them - I haven't run Win95 since I got Win2000.) If your
> computer will support it and it's available, you might want to give
> Win98 a try - it *might* solve this particular problem. (No guarantees,
> though. Do this on a separate hard drive if you have one.) Of course,
> this is kind of an extreme step just to get 1 program to work.

I won't go to those extremes (for one program), however it looks like the
author of this emulator has provided earlier copies of this emulator (in one
of them it looked like he wrote Pentium 3 running at 500mhz).

Sadily, I like DOS emulators more (& so does my computer!).

Cheers,
Ross.

 
 
 

NEC PC8001 Emulator (M88)

Post by Ross Simpso » Tue, 09 Sep 2003 07:40:40


[snip]

Quote:> >You're running Win95? You should have mentioned that in your original
> >post. For one thing, Microsoft stopped supporting 95 a few years ago,
> >and stopped offering updates last year (I think).
> >Also, it's possible that your emulator won't run on Win95 - I've seen
> >some software that swears that it will run on 98 but not 95. (I never
> >tested any of them - I haven't run Win95 since I got Win2000.) If your
> >computer will support it and it's available, you might want to give
> >Win98 a try - it *might* solve this particular problem. (No guarantees,
> >though. Do this on a separate hard drive if you have one.) Of course,
> >this is kind of an extreme step just to get 1 program to work.
> Okay, now that I've taken a look at the emulator's web site, here's a
> few notes...
> (All of this comes from http://retropc.net/cisc/m88/howto.html)
> The list of requirements:
> -a PC with at least a Celeron processor
> -Windows 95 or later (so I was wrong about upgrading)
> -Visual C++ 6 runtime files
> -apparently, if you're using 5-1/4" floppies, you must have DOS Windows
> 95 or 98 (not too clear here)
> -a Japanese 106-key keyboard or a PC-98 keyboard
> -the ROM from the PC-88mkIISR or later (says PC-88VA is apparently known
> good but PC-8801/mkII is not known)

Thanks for going to the trouble of posting the details Auric, the latest
version definitely won't work on my Pentium 166! (I've had a look in it's
obsolete directory which looks more promising). But the keyboard might be
the worry here (I only have a standard PC Keyboard!).

Sadily, it looks more trouble than what it's worth to get an earlier copie
working. Might just have to go out & buy the computer.

The original computer used 5.25" floppies, so perhaps it's possible to read
those in the emulator (which needs a DOS box in Windows to work).

Quote:> The reference to a PC-98 keyboard may be a typo, meant to refer to a
> PC-88 keyboard.
> Apparently, to get the emulator working, you must first have access to
> an actual PC-88, and get the ROMs either by somehow copying them to a
> floppy at the PC-88 (doesn't seem to tell you how to do it) or by
> downloading them via a serial cable. There is a chart that lists the
> various ROM files, where they are located in memory, etc.

That counts me out, I don't have any ROMs or keyboards or anything this
computer needs! Naturally, I thought nowadays most emulators came with it
all up & running.

Because this ol' NEC computer was so popular in Japan, I guessing the author
is hoping that there are still a great number of people in Japan who still
have this machine.

Quote:> There are a couple of error messages that are listed, along with
> probable causes. One indicates (I think) that you don't have the
> necessary ROM files - probably the error that you got. The other error
> listed has two possible causes, one of which is a virus. (Just to be
> safe, you should do a virus scan.)

Darn.