PS2 Emulators

Post by QuickHar » Thu, 07 Aug 2003 06:47:09

I'm looking for an emulator for a PS2. I have searched the net, but there's
not much in the way of what I want. I'm hoping someone may be able to help.

I have a PS2, with discs. All I want is to be able to play the games on my
PC (running Windows XP) using an emulator. I have seen many emulators, but
they seem to require CD/DVD images, not read the drive directly. I also have
a DVD drive, so using the discs shouldn't be a problem for me.

I know this sounds odd considering I have a PS2, but it would be a great
help. It's for the PAL system, not NTSC.

If anyone can point me in any direction (except a search engine), that'd be
great.

--
QuickHare

Remove the REMOVE to E-Mail direct.
Enleve la REMOVE E-Mail moi directement.

PS2 Emulators

Post by Michael Koeni » Thu, 07 Aug 2003 08:41:44

> I'm looking for an emulator for a PS2.

<http://www.ngemu.com/ps2/>

Quote:> I have searched the net, but there's not much in the way of what I
> want.

Because what you want doesn't exist!

* None of the current emulators runs any commercial game yet! It took
PS1 emulation years to get to that level, and it's still not perfect, as
shown by the newest release of ePSXe with lots of bug fixes. And the PS2
is way more complex than the PS1!

* You'll most likely need at least a 3GHz CPU to get anywhere near
realtime PS2 emulation, and that assumption already includes tricks like
dynamic recompilation! Remember that N64 emulators with a good
compatibility need a CPU close to 1GHz, and the PS2 is way more complex
than the N64!

* Obviously complexity is an issue. In terms of complexity the PS2 even
rivals the Sega Saturn, and then take a look how many working Saturn
emulators there are after all these years!

Learn something about emulation and the PS2 hardware, and you'll
understand why it'll take at least another one or two years before the
first games will be playable on an emulator.
Ie. Sony is likely to release the PS3 even before that happens, and I
bet that shortly afterwards the first people will start asking for PS3
emulators...

--
M.I.K.e
(The crownless again shall be King.)