TRS-80 COCO Rom Format Question

TRS-80 COCO Rom Format Question

Post by ayukawa madok » Fri, 19 Sep 2003 16:40:10



In my search to add to my collection I am finding that there are many roms
with the .ccc extention instead of the standard recognized .rom/.pak/.dsk
extention.

I have spent the last three days off and on (about 20 hours total) trying to
find documentation on this extention and how it applies to the coco
emulation scene, with no avail.

Does anyone out there know where I am making my mistakes or perhaps know the
answer as to what is the reasoning behind this ofrmat (and what Emulator
supports it)?

Also, what is the Coco Emulator preference?

Thanks in Advance,
        - Ayukawa

 
 
 

TRS-80 COCO Rom Format Question

Post by tim lindn » Sun, 21 Sep 2003 01:33:59



> In my search to add to my collection I am finding that there are many roms
> with the .ccc extention instead of the standard recognized .rom/.pak/.dsk
> extention.

> I have spent the last three days off and on (about 20 hours total) trying to
> find documentation on this extention and how it applies to the coco
> emulation scene, with no avail.

> Does anyone out there know where I am making my mistakes or perhaps know the
> answer as to what is the reasoning behind this ofrmat (and what Emulator
> supports it)?

As a MESSDEV, and occisinal contributor to the coco drivers: I have
never seen the .ccc extension before.

May I ask for some sample web locations?

Quote:> Also, what is the Coco Emulator preference?

I am not sure what you mean by this.

--
The ears are too length.
--------------------------------------------------------


 
 
 

TRS-80 COCO Rom Format Question

Post by ayukawa madok » Sun, 21 Sep 2003 03:25:46




> > In my search to add to my collection I am finding that there are many
roms
> > with the .ccc extention instead of the standard recognized
.rom/.pak/.dsk
> > extention.

> > I have spent the last three days off and on (about 20 hours total)
trying to
> > find documentation on this extention and how it applies to the coco
> > emulation scene, with no avail.

> > Does anyone out there know where I am making my mistakes or perhaps know
the
> > answer as to what is the reasoning behind this ofrmat (and what Emulator
> > supports it)?

> As a MESSDEV, and occisinal contributor to the coco drivers: I have
> never seen the .ccc extension before.

> May I ask for some sample web locations?

Thaks for responding,

If you go to: http://www.trs-80.com/
and click the following in the left hand margin menu:
Other TRS-80's ==)> COCO

Scroll Down below:
GoodCOCO v0.999.5
COCO ROMs [Complete GoodCOCO v0.999.5 Set]

and pick one of the roms down there. you will find them in the .ccc
extention

Quote:> > Also, what is the Coco Emulator preference?

> I am not sure what you mean by this.

I appologise for not being clear. I am using a windows 98SE as my emulation
system. it has a p4 1.4ghz and 512meg ram. Beyond that pretty standard. I am
curious what would be the recomended emulator for me to use when I am poking
around with the old TRS-80 emulators. You know, ease of use, compatability,
good documentation, those things.
I am particularly interested in making Dungeons Of Daggorath work on the
Coco as well as a few tape based programs. In the Model I I am wishing to
make an old program called Xenos work. Few more obviously, but it was the
main one I never finished way back in the day.
It is complicated to go through each and every emu out there and try and
find the better ones, so I was guessing I could ask and get a more narrow
band of what to check.

Hope that makes sense, and thanks again for respondng.

        - Ayukawa

 
 
 

TRS-80 COCO Rom Format Question

Post by tim lindn » Sun, 21 Sep 2003 13:16:18






> > > In my search to add to my collection I am finding that there are many
> roms
> > > with the .ccc extention instead of the standard recognized
> .rom/.pak/.dsk
> > > extention.

> > > I have spent the last three days off and on (about 20 hours total)
> trying to
> > > find documentation on this extention and how it applies to the coco
> > > emulation scene, with no avail.

> > > Does anyone out there know where I am making my mistakes or perhaps know
> the
> > > answer as to what is the reasoning behind this ofrmat (and what Emulator
> > > supports it)?

> > As a MESSDEV, and occisinal contributor to the coco drivers: I have
> > never seen the .ccc extension before.

> > May I ask for some sample web locations?

> Thaks for responding,

> If you go to: http://www.trs-80.com/
> and click the following in the left hand margin menu:
> Other TRS-80's ==)> COCO

> Scroll Down below:
> GoodCOCO v0.999.5
> COCO ROMs [Complete GoodCOCO v0.999.5 Set]

> and pick one of the roms down there. you will find them in the .ccc
> extention

The guy who does the Good* stuff doesn't like .rom or .bin files
extensions. He thinks they are overused and meaningless.

So he choose .ccc. They are normal Program Paks (TM) rom dumps. Under
MESS they would be loaded with the -cart command line option. I am not
sure if MESS32 will recongonize them automatically (because of the file
extension), but they would need to be added to the "Cartridge" slot.

Other emulators might not like these dumps becuase they prefer to have
positional meta data added to the begining of the ROM dumps. This helps
them know where the ROMs are to be placed in the CoCo's memory map.

- Show quoted text -

Quote:> > > Also, what is the Coco Emulator preference?

> > I am not sure what you mean by this.

> I appologise for not being clear. I am using a windows 98SE as my emulation
> system. it has a p4 1.4ghz and 512meg ram. Beyond that pretty standard. I am
> curious what would be the recomended emulator for me to use when I am poking
> around with the old TRS-80 emulators. You know, ease of use, compatability,
> good documentation, those things.
> I am particularly interested in making Dungeons Of Daggorath work on the
> Coco as well as a few tape based programs. In the Model I I am wishing to
> make an old program called Xenos work. Few more obviously, but it was the
> main one I never finished way back in the day.
> It is complicated to go through each and every emu out there and try and
> find the better ones, so I was guessing I could ask and get a more narrow
> band of what to check.

> Hope that makes sense, and thanks again for respondng.

I am a Macintosh guy, so I can't help you in your quest for the best
CoCo emulator (for you). Buy there arn't many for the PC, here is the
list:

http://discover-net.net/~dmkeil/
http://www.vavasour.ca/jeff/trs80.html
http://members.cox.net/javacoco/
http://www.mess.org/

One is missing from that list: John Collyer has extended Jeff Vavasour's
emulator for the 6309 processor upgrade, but his site is temporarily off
line. He mentioned recently on the CoCo List they he may be able to turn
JV's emulator in to a WIN32 application. That will help it run on newer
Windows operating systems.

Since you a DoD fan, I'll also throw these links in:

http://mspencer.net/forum/viewforum.php?forum=7
http://mspencer.net/forum/viewforum.php?forum=8&4
http://mspencer.net/daggorath/dodpcp.html

--
The ears are too length.
--------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

TRS-80 COCO Rom Format Question

Post by ayukawa madok » Tue, 23 Sep 2003 15:07:10



Quote:

> The guy who does the Good* stuff doesn't like .rom or .bin files
> extensions. He thinks they are overused and meaningless.

Ahhh... makes sense...

Quote:> So he choose .ccc. They are normal Program Paks (TM) rom dumps. Under
> MESS they would be loaded with the -cart command line option. I am not
> sure if MESS32 will recongonize them automatically (because of the file
> extension), but they would need to be added to the "Cartridge" slot.

Not using mess here. I think I am using David Keils TRS80-coco2 Emu version
1.2

Unless I am thinking wrong. It seems to like the .ccc no problem at all.

Quote:> I am a Macintosh guy, so I can't help you in your quest for the best
> CoCo emulator (for you). Buy there arn't many for the PC, here is the
> list:

Decided on David Keils...

Just had to set up a bootdisk... figures but still fun...

Thanks for the input ^,^**  Now off to work with trying to get the Model IV
working.

        - Ayukawa

 
 
 

1. Reading System-80 (TRS-80 Model I) tapes

I have a System-80 system which no longer works (not surprising after
gathering dust for 7 years or so). I have about 40 tapes, and I would like
to find a way to read them.

I have a Microbee computer (CP/M, 3.5" disk drive), and a PC.

Alternately, if someone has Broderbund's "Galactic Empire" in a form that
could be sent to me somehow, I'd really appreciate it.

Final question: I know there are TRS-80 Model I emulators out there. I know
that they require a copy of the ROMs. This seems a little silly to me - I
have a dead TRS clone, and I don't know _how_ to get a copy of the ROMs onto
a PC (even if it was working ... ). Am I just misunderstanding ? Are these
ROMs really freely available ?
(and does anyone have System-80 ROMs ?)

--

Assistant Computer Manager, Stats, Pure and Applied Maths, Adelaide Uni.
"Behind the lines, a face that glimmers. Still looking for a face that shines."
       - Heartland, The Sisters of Mercy

2. Personal Deskmate 2

3. TRS-80 Model 3 / Model 4 Questions & xtrs

4. Memory Barrier useage on ALPHA VMS

5. TRS-80 QUESTION.

6. AutoEventWireup

7. TRS-80 Question.

8. AutoNet and QNX

9. TRS-80 ROM images (Please???)

10. TRS-80 Color Computer ROMs

11. ROM NEEDED: TRS-80 Level 2

12. TRS-80 ROM images (Please???)

13. TRS-80 emulation