SIMULATION DIGEST V14 N10

Post by Moderator: Paul Fishwi » Wed, 04 Apr 1990 22:08:40

Volume: 14, Issue: 10, Tue Apr  3 09:08:23 EDT 1990

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) Turing Conference
(2) Modeling: State of the Art
(3) Simscript Code Needed
(4) Robotics Simulator
(5) Lisp to Ada/C
(6) CALL: Simulation of Adaptive Behavior

* Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
* Send topical mail to: simulat...@bikini.cis.ufl.edu OR
  post to comp.simulation via USENET
* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu (128.227.224.1).
  Login as 'ftp', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest. Do 'type binary' before any file xfers.
* Simulation Tools available by doing above and changing the
  directory to pub/simdigest/tools.

Via: ctcs.leeds.ac.uk (thrills.ARPA); Thu, 29 Mar 90 13:59:31 GMT
From: Turing Conference <turing%ctcs.leeds.ac...@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 90 13:25:55 BST
To: simulation%ufl....@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK
Subject: YOUR LAST CHANCE!!

                                           Computer Studies and Philosophy,
                                                       University of Leeds,
                                                            LEEDS, LS2 9JT
                                                   Friday, 23rd March 1990

                     TURING 1990 - FINAL REMINDER

       I would be very grateful  if  you  could  bring  this  notice to the
attention  of  the  relevant  academic  staff  and  postgraduates  in  your
department,  as soon as possible.   It concerns a major conference which is
taking place in  Sussex University the week after next (starting on Tuesday
3rd April), and for  which  a limited number of places are still available.
Because of the uniqueness of the  Conference,  and its magnificent range of
speakers,  we  are  taking  the  unusual step of  providing  a  last-minute
"reminder"  for anyone who may have  either  failed  to  see  our  previous
notices, or  forgotten to register in time.  We are keen to provide a final
opportunity for British  academics  and postgraduates who are interested in
computers and their philosophical significance,  since  it is very unlikely
that such an impressive list of speakers  in  this  subject  area  will  be
assembled on this side of the Atlantic for a long time to come (see below).

       Yours sincerely, and with many thanks,

                        Peter Millican

                          INVITED GUEST SPEAKERS

ANDREW HODGES,  author of the much-acclaimed  biography  Alan  Turing:  the
Enigma of  Intelligence,  will  give the opening address at the Conference.
DONALD MICHIE and ROBIN GANDY, both of  whom  knew  Turing personally, will
present the first and last major papers.  Gandy is a prominent mathematical
logician,  while  Michie  is  very  well known in  artificial  intelligence
circles, as well as being chief  scientist  at  Glasgow's Turing Institute.
The  two other invited British speakers are CHRISTOPHER PEACOCKE, Waynflete
Professor of  Philosophy at Oxford, and J.R. LUCAS, who will be speaking on
the topic of his famous and controversial paper "Minds, Machines and Godel"
in front of  an  audience  which will include some of his fiercest critics!
One of these, DOUGLAS HOFSTADTER (Indiana), achieved fame with his Pulitzer
Prize winning book Godel, Escher, Bach, which did  much  to provoke general
interest in artificial intelligence.  Other major American visitors include
PAUL CHURCHLAND (California), perhaps the best known connectionist opponent
of folk-psychology; JOSEPH FORD (Georgia), a prominent advocate of  the new
and  exciting  theory  of chaos; CLARK GLYMOUR (Carnegie-Mellon), a notable
philosopher of science, and  last,  but  certainly not least, HERBERT SIMON
(Carnegie-Mellon), one of the founding fathers of the science of artificial
intelligence, and a Nobel laureate in 1978.

                            OTHER CONTRIBUTORS

Authors of the other 18  contributions  include  many  well-known  computer
scientists,  artificial  intelligence  researchers,  and  philosophers from
America, Australia and Europe as well  as  from  Britain.  Their names, and
the titles of their papers, are listed in the programme which follows.

                TURING 1990 - LATE REGISTRATION INFORMATION

                                 VENUE

The Conference takes place at  the  University  of Sussex, Falmer, which is
about 4 miles from Brighton (the frequent trains  take about 8 minutes, and
the campus is barely 100 yards from Falmer station).   Registration is from
11 a.m. until 2 p.m. on Tuesday 3rd April at NORWICH HOUSE,  which is where
most  delegates  will  be accommodated.  Those arriving late should ask the
porter at Norwich House for registration materials unless they arrive after
he has gone off  duty,  in which case registration materials, keys etc. can
be collected from the permanent duty porter at the adjacent YORK HOUSE.

                        FIRST AND LAST AFTERNOONS

The Conference opens at 2 p.m.  on Tuesday, with a lecture by Andrew Hodges
in ARTS A2.  This will be followed by coffee at 3.00, and a paper by Donald
Michie (also in Arts A2) at 3.30.   Dinner  is  from 5.00 until 6.30 in the
Refectory,  Level 2,  with a wine reception in the Grapevine Bar (Refectory
building) from 6.00 until 8.00, when Clark Glymour will speak in Arts A2.

On Friday 6th April, Lunch  is from 12.00 p.m. until 2.00, when Robin Gandy
will give the closing speech.  Coffee at 3.30 marks the official end of the
Conference, although at 4.00 Douglas Hofstadter  will  give  an  additional
open lecture entitled "Hiroshima Ma Mignonne".  Dinner on Friday evening is
available for those who require it (at a cost of #6.00).

                   REGISTRATION AND ACCOMMODATION COSTS

For members of the Mind Association  or  the Aristotelian Society, and also
subscribers to Analysis or Philosophical Quarterly, the registration fee is
only #30, thanks to the generous support  which we are receiving from these
bodies.   The  registration fee for students is likewise  #30.   For  other
academics the fee is #50, while for non-academics the fee is #80.

Full board including bed, breakfast  and  all  meals (with the exception of
Thursday evening) from Dinner on Tuesday to Lunch  on  Friday,  costs  #84.
For  those  wanting these meals alone (and not bed and breakfast), the cost
is #33.  On  Thursday  evening  the  Conference Banquet  takes place at the
Royal Pavilion in Brighton (for  which  we charge only the marginal cost of
#25), but for those not attending the  Banquet,  dinner is available in the
University at a cost of #6.  Please note that  places  at  the  Banquet are
strictly limited, and will be filled on a first come-first served basis.

                          HOW TO REGISTER LATE

Those who wish to book  accommodation for the Conference should ring Judith
Dennison at Sussex University (0273-678379) immediately,  and if she is not
available, should leave on her answerphone full  details  of their meal and
accommodation  requirements, together with A TELEPHONE NUMBER AT WHICH THEY
CAN BE CONTACTED.  Those  who  telephone  by 2.00 p.m. ON FRIDAY 30th MARCH
can probably be guaranteed accommodation  within the University (though not
necessarily in Norwich House), and you are  asked  to meet this deadline if
at all possible (assuming that you are able  to  catch  the  Friday  postal
collection, please also send your cheque and written requirements, by first
class mail, to the address below).  During the following weekend Andy Clark
(0273-722942)  will  be  able  to provide some information on the number of
places remaining, and on Monday  Judith Dennison will do her best to fit in
those who have left their name  in  the  meantime.   Those  who  arrive  on
Tuesday without having booked do so, of course, at their own risk!

CHEQUES AND WRITTEN REQUIREMENTS TO:  Judith Dennison,  School of Cognitive
and Computing Sciences, University of Sussex, Brighton, BN1 9QN (please use
first class post, and do not include cheques if posted after 30th March).

PJRM/23rd March 1990

                           TURING 1990 COLLOQUIUM

               At the University of Sussex, Brighton, England

                            3rd - 6th April 1990

                PROGRAMME OF SPEAKERS AND GENERAL INFORMATION

                              INVITED SPEAKERS

Paul CHURCHLAND (Philosophy, University of California at San Diego)

       FURTHER THOUGHTS ON LEARNING AND CONCEPTUAL CHANGE

Joseph FORD (Physics, Georgia Institute of Technology)

       CHAOS :  ITS PAST, ITS PRESENT, BUT MOSTLY ITS FUTURE

Robin GANDY (Mathematical Institute, Oxford)

       HUMAN VERSUS MECHANICAL INTELLIGENCE

Clark GLYMOUR (Philosophy, Carnegie-Mellon)

       COMPUTABILITY, CONCEPTUAL REVOLUTIONS AND THE LOGIC OF DISCOVERY

Andrew HODGES (Oxford, author of "Alan Turing: the enigma of intelligence")

       BACK TO THE FUTURE :  ALAN TURING IN 1950

Douglas HOFSTADTER (Computer Science, Indiana)

       MENTAL FLUIDITY AND CREATIVITY

J.R. LUCAS (Merton College, Oxford)

       MINDS, MACHINES AND GODEL :  A RETROSPECT

Donald MICHIE (Turing Institute, Glasgow)

       MACHINE INTELLIGENCE - TURING AND AFTER

Christopher PEACOCKE (Magdalen College, Oxford)

       PHILOSOPHICAL AND PSYCHOLOGICAL THEORIES OF CONCEPTS

Herbert SIMON (Computer Science and Psychology, Carnegie-Mellon)

       MACHINE AS MIND

                              OTHER SPEAKERS

Most of the papers to be given at the Colloquium are interdisciplinary,  and
should hold considerable interest for those working in any area of Cognitive
Science or related disciplines.   However the papers below will be presented
in paired parallel sessions,  which have been arranged as far as possible to
minimise clashes of subject area,  so  that  those  who  have  predominantly
formal  interests,   for  example,  will be able to attend all of the papers
which are most relevant to their work, and a similar point applies for those
with mainly philosophical, psychological, or purely computational interests.

Jonathan Cohen (The Queen's College, Oxford)
     "Does Belief Exist?"

Mario Compiani (ENIDATA, Bologna, Italy)
     "Remarks on the Paradigms of Connectionism"

Martin Davies (Philosophy, Birkbeck College, London)
     "Facing up to Eliminativism"

Chris Fields (Computing Research Laboratory, New Mexico)
     "Measurement and Computational Description"

Robert French (Center for Research on Concepts and Cognition, Indiana)
     "Subcognition and the Limits of the Turing Test"

Beatrice de Gelder (Psychology and Philosophy, Tilburg, Netherlands)
     "Cognitive Science is Philosophy of Science Writ Small"

Peter Mott (Computer Studies and Philosophy, Leeds)
     "A Grammar Based Approach to Commonsense Reasoning"

Aaron Sloman (Cognitive and Computing Sciences, Sussex)
     "Beyond Turing Equivalence"

Antony Galton (Computer Science, Exeter)
     "The Church-Turing Thesis: its Nature and Status"

Ajit Narayanan (Computer Science, Exeter)
     "The Intentional Stance and the Imitation Game"

Jon Oberlander and Peter Dayan (Centre for Cognitive Science, Edinburgh)
     "Altered States and Virtual Beliefs"

Philip Pettit and Frank Jackson (Social Sciences Research, ANU, Canberra)
     "Causation in the Philosophy of Mind"

Ian Pratt (Computer Science, Manchester)
     "Encoding Psychological Knowledge"

Joop Schopman and Aziz Shawky (Philosophy, Utrecht, Netherlands)
     "Remarks on the Impact of Connectionism on our Thinking about Concepts"

Murray Shanahan (Computing, Imperial College London)
     "Folk Psychology and Naive Physics"

Iain Stewart (Computing Laboratory, Newcastle)
     "The Demise of the Turing Machine in Complexity Theory"

Chris Thornton (Artificial Intelligence, Edinburgh)
     "Why Concept Learning is a Good Idea"

Blay Whitby (Cognitive and Computing Sciences, Sussex)
     "The Turing Test: AI's Biggest Blind Alley?"

                           TURING 1990 COLLOQUIUM

               At the University of Sussex, Brighton, England

                            3rd - 6th April 1990

This Conference commemorates the 40th anniversary of the publication in Mind
of Alan Turing's influential paper  "Computing  Machinery and Intelligence".
It  is hosted by the School of  Cognitive  and  Computing  Sciences  at  the
University of  Sussex  and  held under the auspices of the Mind Association.
Additional  support  has been received  from  the  Analysis  Committee,  the
Aristotelian Society, The  British Logic Colloquium, The International Union
of History and Philosophy  of  Science, POPLOG, Philosophical Quarterly, and
the SERC Logic for IT Initiative.

The aim of the Conference  is to draw together people working in Philosophy,
Logic,  Computer  Science,  Artificial Intelligence, Cognitive  Science  and
related fields, in order  to  celebrate  the  intellectual and technological
developments which owe so much to Turing's seminal  thought.  Papers will be
presented  on  the  following  themes:  Alan  Turing  and the  emergence  of
Artificial Intelligence,  Logic and the Theory of Computation,  The  Church-
Turing  Thesis, The Turing Test, Connectionism, Mind and Content, Philosophy
and Methodology of Artificial Intelligence and Cognitive Science.    Invited
talks  will be  given by  Paul Churchland, Joseph Ford,  Robin Gandy,  Clark
Glymour,  Andrew Hodges,   Douglas Hofstadter,  J.R. Lucas,   Donald Michie,
Christopher Peacocke and Herbert Simon, and there  are  many other prominent
contributors, whose names and papers are listed above.

The conference will start after  lunch  on  Tuesday  3rd April 1990, and it
will end on Friday 6th April after tea.  ANYONE  WISHING  TO  REGISTER  FOR
THIS CONFERENCE SHOULD SEE THE LATE REGISTRATION INFORMATION ABOVE.

                     Conference Organizing Committee

     Andy Clark (Cognitive and Computing Sciences, Sussex University)
     David Holdcroft (Philosophy, Leeds University)
     Peter Millican (Computer Studies and Philosophy, Leeds University)
     Steve Torrance (Information Systems, Middlesex Polytechnic)

PLEASE SEND ON THIS NOTICE to any researchers,  lecturers or students in the
fields  of  Artificial Intelligence,  Cognitive  Science,  Computer Science,
Logic, Mathematics, Philosophy or Psychology, in Britain  or  abroad, and to
ANY APPROPRIATE BULLETIN BOARDS which have not previously displayed it.

------------------------------

Posted-Date: 29 Mar 90 23:21:25 GMT
To: comp-simulat...@rutgers.edu
From: abb...@aerospace.aero.org (Russell J. Abbott)
Newsgroups: comp.simulation
Subject: Modeling: State-of-the-Art
Date: 29 Mar 90 23:21:25 GMT

I would appreciate pointers to discussions regarding the state of the
art of (declarative) modeling.  Slightly more specifically, I'm
interested in systems/languages that allow users to describe (models of)
objects and then to derive additional information from those
descriptions.  I realize that this is a broad request, but I'd prefer to
leave it broad so as not to miss anything relevant.  Thanks.

--
-- Russ abb...@itro3.aero.org

------------------------------

To: comp-simulat...@uunet.UU.NET
From: motcid!rei...@uunet.UU.NET (Patrick L. Reilly)
Newsgroups: comp.simulation
Subject: Simscript Code Needed
Date: 30 Mar 90 18:43:15 GMT

In several of CACI's manuals there is an example of a
flexible manufacturing facility simulation consisting
of different work stations, each having a given number
of machines. Various job types are injected into the
system and stats are collected on work station and
machine utilization.

Here is my question. Using any of those programs, can
a simscript user out there tell me how it would be
possible to accumulate statistics concerning work station
and/or machine utilization BY JOB TYPE?

I have all the books, so take your pick of examples. The
problem has vexed me for about a week now so I am
appealing to any expert out there.

------------------------------

To: comp-simulat...@uunet.uu.net
From: j...@cs.brown.edu (John Shewchuk)
Newsgroups: comp.simulation
Subject: Robotics Simulator...
Date: 30 Mar 90 21:09:21 GMT
Sender: brunix!n...@uunet.UU.NET

Not sure this is the right newsgroup...

We are putting together a simple robotics simulator.  Currently all
objects in the world are scaled, translated, and rotated unit cubes.

* What is the best way to describe robot motion?

* How do programmers who build aircraft simulators describe the motion
  of aircraft?

Thanks -John

P.S. Here is what we are thinking of doing:

To rotate the cubes we generate a matrix that describes how each cube
rotates in each time step around its center.  Then we would apply an
offset, again based on the robot's coordinate frame, to the center to
get the translation.

Unfortunately rotations in 3D do not seem as easy to work with as
rotations in 2D otherwise our problem would be easy.  The input we
have describes the rotation of the object about it's center in terms
of Euler's angles per minute.  From this we can generate a matrix,
that we apply to cartesian points, that maps from the old rotation to
the new rotation that would occur one minute later, call this matrix
M1.  Now we want to generate another matrix that represents the
mapping that would be needed at each of the time steps required to get
to the rotation that would occur in one minute, call this M2.  In
other words, if we apply M2 to the problem over and over (the number
of time steps per minute) then we would finally arrive at the rotation
that applying M1 to the initial conditions would have produced.  So:

M2^{time steps/minute} . point = M1 . point

If the number of steps per minute was 600 then M2 is the 600th root of
M1.  This seems overly complex...

Code, suggestions and references appreciated.

Thanks again.

--

John Shewchuk,
Computer Science Dept,                                    j...@cs.brown.edu

------------------------------

Date: 2 Apr 90 16:09:00 EDT
From: "Robert  Breaux" <bre...@ntsc-74.navy.mil>
Subject: Ada translators
To: "simulation" <simulat...@bikini.cis.ufl.edu>
Cc: pember...@ntsc-74.navy.mil

Does anyone know of any Lisp to Ada or Lisp to C translators?  We will be
getting some Lisp software from another lab that we would like to incorporate
into our other systems

Please reply to:  Pember...@ntsc-74.navy.mil

------------------------------

[[I obtained this excerpt from the Artificial Life Digest -PAF]]

Date: Mon, 26 Mar 90 11:56:30 EST
From: Eric T. Freeman <efree...@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu>
To: alife-mailing-l...@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
Subject: Artificial Life Digest, #9

DIGEST
                        Artificial Life Digest, Number 9

Subject: SAB90 Call for Papers
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 90 09:42:30 EST
From: Stewart Wilson <wil...@think.com>

                                                March 26, 1990

Dear Colleague,

    Enclosed is the Call for Papers for the conference "Simulation of
Adaptive Behavior: From Animals to Animats" that will be held in Paris
in September, 1990, and is chaired by Jean-Arcady Meyer and me.  We believe
that study and simulation of adaptive animal behavior is an important and
potentially fruitful new trend in artificial intelligence.  The idea of the
conference is to bring together people who are trying to understand adaptive
behavior in real animals with people attempting to create adaptive artificial
animals.  Each group has much to learn from the other.  Since each group also
does considerable modeling, we have emphasized computer simulations-or,
where possible, physical realizations-as a good vehicle for presenting
and comparing ideas.

.    From initial reactions, the conference has an exciting and timely
theme, and we have been fortunate to assemble an outstanding program
committee.  We very much hope you will contribute a paper and will be able
to attend.  Papers will be reviewed by members of the program committee
and will be published in a proceedings volume available shortly after
the conference.  For information, when it is ready, on arrangements for
attending the conference, kindly confirm this message and include your
postal address.  We look forward to seeing you "a Paris"!

Yours sincerely,
Stewart Wilson

                               Call for Papers

           SIMULATION OF ADAPTIVE BEHAVIOR: FROM ANIMALS TO ANIMATS

                An International Conference to be held in Paris
                            September 24-28, 1990

        The object of the conference is to bring together researchers in
        ethology, ecology, cybernetics, artificial intelligence, robotics,
        and related fields so as to further our understanding of the behaviors
        and underlying mechanisms that allow animals and, potentially,
        robots to adapt and survive in uncertain environments.

        The conference will focus particularly on simulation models in
        order to help characterize and compare various organizational principles
        or architectures capable of inducing adaptive behavior in real or
        artificial animals.

        Contact among scientists from diverse disciplines should contribute
        to better appreciation of each other's approaches and vocabularies,
        to cross-fertilization of fundamental and applied research, and
        to defining objectives, constraints, and challenges for future work.

        Contributions treating any of the following topics from the
        perspective of adaptive behavior will receive special emphasis.

   Individual and collective behaviors   Autonomous robots
   Action selection and behavioral       Hierarchical and parallel organizations
    sequences                            Self organization of behavioral
   Conditioning, learning and induction   modules
   Neural correlates of behavior         Problem solving and planning
   Perception and motor control          Goal directed behavior
   Motivation and emotion                Neural networks and classifier
   Behavioral ontogeny                    systems
   Cognitive maps and internal           Emergent structures and behaviors
    world models

        Authors are requested to send two copies (hard copy only) of a
        full paper to each of the Conference chairmen:

          Jean-Arcady MEYER                 Stewart WILSON
          Groupe de Bioinformatique         The Rowland Institute for Science
          URA686.Ecole Normale Superieure   100 Cambridge Parkway
          46 rue d'Ulm                      Cambridge, MA  02142
          75230 Paris Cedex 05              USA
          France
          e-mail: me...@FRULM63.bitnet      e-mail: wil...@think.com
                  me...@hermes.ens.fr

       A brief preliminary letter to one chairman indicating the intention to
       participate--with the tentative title of the intended paper and a list
       of the topics addressed--would be appreciated for planning purposes.
       For conference information, please also contact one of the chairmen.

        Conference committee:

          Conference Chair              J.A. Meyer, S. Wilson

          Organizing Committee      Groupe de BioInformatique.ENS.France.
          and local arrangements    A. Guillot, J.A. Meyer, P. Tarroux,
                                       P. Vincens

          Program Committee     L. Booker, USA          R. Brooks, USA
                                P. Colgan, Canada       P. Greussay, France
                                D. McFarland, UK        L. Steels, Belgium
                                R. Sutton, USA          F. Toates, UK
                                D. Waltz, USA

        Official Language: English

        Important Dates

           31 May 90  Submissions must be received by the chairmen
           30 June 90  Notification of acceptance or rejection
           31 August 90   Camera ready revised versions due
           24-28 September 90  Conference dates

END OF SIMULATION DIGEST