Snake/Nibbles game creator?

Post by Stan Ba » Fri, 19 Sep 2003 02:27:12

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 17:07:30 +1000, Ross Simpson

>Yes EDSAC has a display (so did ENIAC which came out before that I believe),
>but it's quite unusal. It's round, was supposed to be small & the resolution
>of the screen was built up of dots (which means there was no character set).

Edsacs crts displayed the data circulating around the mercury delay tanks
that served as registers and memory.  The main one could be switched to
show the contents any of the 32 "Long Tanks" that constitued the main memory.
Each Long Tank stored 32 18-bit words.  By writing data to a tank characters
or graphics could be displayed.

Quote:>A daisy wheel printer was also used. In case I'm wrong about any of this,
>alt.folklore.computers will know! ;-)

The printer was a Creed 5-unit teleprinter operating at 6 2/3 cps and there
was a 5-unit tape reader that ran at 50cps.

Quote:>> (try to imagine 50 years from now, whether people will refer to
>> XBOX in a similar nostalgic tone as you just mentioned EDSAC :-)

>Well maybe, but the thing to remember is that 50 years ago there were fewer
>machines than what there is today, which means the machines that did exist
>stood out more. If you check out http://www.old-computers.com/museum &
>machines which were made 30-40 years ago, you'll see it becomes trickier to
>remember those! ;-)

Run your own EDSAC -  there are several simulators available.
All my info came from the manual for the simulator from Dept of Computer
Science, University of Warwick.  Programming it is fun...I think... :-)

http://www.dcs.warwick.ac.uk/~edsac/
--

Cheers,
Stan Barr     stanb .at. dial .dot. pipex .dot. com

The future was never like this!

Snake/Nibbles game creator?

Post by Charles Richmon » Fri, 19 Sep 2003 05:55:38

>          [snip...]         [snip...]         [snip...]

> Run your own EDSAC -  there are several simulators available.
> All my info came from the manual for the simulator from Dept of Computer
> Science, University of Warwick.  Programming it is fun...I think... :-)

> http://www.dcs.warwick.ac.uk/~edsac/

The man who produced this EDSAC emulator...is a part of computer
history himself. He is Dr. Martin Campbell-Kelly at the University
of Warwick. His web page is at:

<http://www.dcs.warwick.ac.uk/people/academic/Martin.Campbell-Kelly/>

|   Charles and Francis Richmond     richmond at plano dot net   |

Snake/Nibbles game creator?

Post by Ross Simpso » Fri, 19 Sep 2003 16:43:20

> > A Vic-20 came with graphics once extra hardware was
> > added!
> Err.. are you trying to say it took until the
> development of the VIC-I chip before one of the
> first computers with both graphics, colours and
> sound was possible to produce for the mass market?

Oh no.

I guess I was stating the obvious when I was stating that Microcomputers,
Mainframe & Mini based computers all developed at different stages. The
PDP-1 (a Mini based computer) offered detailed graphics (for it's time). The
PET computers is an interesting one to compare with a VIC-20. Both are
Microcomputers, however one offered 512x512 screen resolution! :-) (in that
instance it's what it's designed to do - the disadvace would have been at
what cost?).

The VIC-20 is just a nice little home computer, so graphics wouldn't have
been a high priority for someone back then. I guess if people insisted then
the 176x158 would have come into play!

Well there's really a number of factors (as I pointed out) as to why
computers were like that.

Quote:> Oh well, as a disclaimer for getting off-topic,
> I might mention Tron, the first movie to be based
> upon a computer game (Snake clone, isn't it?)

Yes! :-)

Cheers,
Ross.

Snake/Nibbles game creator?

Post by Ross Simpso » Fri, 19 Sep 2003 17:46:12

> Edsacs crts displayed the data circulating
> around the mercury delay tanks that served
> as registers and memory.  The main one
> could be switched to show the contents any
> of the 32 "Long Tanks" that constitued the
> main memory.

Oh yes, thanks about mentioning that. It's quite different from any other
computer I've seen.

Quote:> Each Long Tank stored 32 18-bit words.  By
> writing data to a tank characters or
> graphics could be displayed.

How do you mean graphics? Is it more than just those little dots the machine
uses?

Quote:> The printer was a Creed 5-unit teleprinter
> operating at 6 2/3 cps and there was a
> 5-unit tape reader that ran at 50cps.

Oh okay.

Quote:> Run your own EDSAC -  there are several
> simulators available.

Well actually, I am! ;-) I'm using EDSACPC emulator

Quote:> All my info came from the manual for the
> simulator from Dept of Computer Science,
> University of Warwick.  Programming it is
> fun...I think... :-)

Heh! EDSAC programs are somewhat mindboggling!

Cheers,
Ross.

Snake/Nibbles game creator?

Post by Charles Richmon » Sat, 20 Sep 2003 02:10:12

> > There's a Noughts and Crosses (ie Tic Tac Toe) program sitting
> > here on my EDSAC simulator, and the date on that is "c. 1952".

> Excuse my ignorance (I'm too young), but when did the first CRTs
> or similar displays/terminals appear with computer equipment? I
> have a vague memory about learning it once, but it has slipped
> my mind. I guess a terminal which you can constantly update is
> preferred when you play a Snake game. OTOH, Ross mentioned a
> Pong demo, which I assume also includes some display updating?

The *first* video game...Spacewar!...was written for a DEC PDP-1
a little after the 1960 time frame. It used a CRT to display the
game field and space ships.
Quote:

> (try to imagine 50 years from now, whether people will refer to
>  XBOX in a similar nostalgic tone as you just mentioned EDSAC :-)

I hardly think that XBOX will get "similar nostalgic tones" like
the EDSAC. There was only *one* copy of the EDSAC made. It took up
a room, had lots of vacuum tubes and mercury delay lines, and
was *not* convenient to access.

Post by Charles Richmon » Sat, 20 Sep 2003 02:14:01

> > A Vic-20 came with graphics once extra hardware was added!

> Err.. are you trying to say it took until the development of the VIC-I
> chip before one of the first computers with both graphics, colours and
> sound was possible to produce for the mass market?

The Apple II circa 1977 could produce "high resolution" graphics.
I am *not* sure that the Apple II was the *first* to do so...

|   Charles and Francis Richmond     richmond at plano dot net   |

Snake/Nibbles game creator?

Post by Stan Ba » Sat, 20 Sep 2003 05:06:09

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 18:46:12 +1000, Ross Simpson

>> Each Long Tank stored 32 18-bit words.  By
>> writing data to a tank characters or
>> graphics could be displayed.

>How do you mean graphics? Is it more than just those little dots the machine
>uses?

Just the dots.
You could, by careful choice of bit patterns, display anything that would fit
into a 36 column x 16 row array of dots.   The Tic-tac-toe program (Oxo) shows
the moves that way, and someone wrote a space invaders simulation recently,
with sound effects courtesy of the Creed c/r sound :-)

Quote:

>> Run your own EDSAC -  there are several
>> simulators available.

>Well actually, I am! ;-) I'm using EDSACPC emulator

I've got that, but I usually use the old Mac one 'cos the Mac's down here
and the Winbox is upstairs...