Apple II / Commodore 64 game conversion!

Apple II / Commodore 64 game conversion!

Post by Jason Finl » Fri, 31 May 2002 16:18:57

Please help!

I am a student at UCLA and I need to translate some old games from
Apple II and Commodore 64 5.25" floppies to ROM/DSK files so they can
be run by emulators on modern platforms!

This is all entirely legal as I am working with the creators of the
software (who also own the rights).  The games were made in the
mid-1980s and based on scifi author Fred Saberhagen's "Berserker"
books.  We just need to translate the games as soon as possible for
inclusion on a CD of historical software that is to accompany an
upcoming book from the MIT Press.

If anyone knows of any leads or resources to help me accomplish this,
please let me know.  Thank you very much for your help.

Jason Finley

Post by Paul R. Santa-Mari » Fri, 31 May 2002 16:59:37

> I am a student at UCLA and I need to translate some old games from
> Apple II and Commodore 64 5.25" floppies to ROM/DSK files so they can
> be run by emulators on modern platforms!

Did you finally find copies of these games?
If so, are the games copy protected?
Do you have an Apple II with a serial interface?
Have you read the FAQ about creating disk images?

Paul R. Santa-Maria
Monroe, Michigan USA

Apple II / Commodore 64 game conversion!

Post by Jason Finl » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 00:18:21

Yes! I'm working with the Saberhagens and they think they can make
copies of their original 5.25" game disks, but we then need to convert
them.  I'm not sure if they are copy protected, but I will ask.  I've
seen a couple of FAQs; to which one are you referring?  Thanks much

Jason

> > I am a student at UCLA and I need to translate some old games from
> > Apple II and Commodore 64 5.25" floppies to ROM/DSK files so they can
> > be run by emulators on modern platforms!

> Did you finally find copies of these games?
> If so, are the games copy protected?
> Do you have an Apple II with a serial interface?
> Have you read the FAQ about creating disk images?

> Paul R. Santa-Maria
> Monroe, Michigan USA

Apple II / Commodore 64 game conversion!

Post by Todd Elliot » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 02:01:36

Quote:> I am a student at UCLA and I need to translate some old games from
> Apple II and Commodore 64 5.25" floppies to ROM/DSK files so they can
> be run by emulators on modern platforms!
> If anyone knows of any leads or resources to help me accomplish this,
> please let me know.  Thank you very much for your help.

Hello.

Unless the Commodore disks are heavily copy-protected, I can make disk
images suitable for use in an emulator. I live in Riverside, CA, if you
want to consider a local resource.

Enjoy.
--
Todd Elliott

Apple II / Commodore 64 game conversion!

Post by Jason Finl » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 08:35:01

Hi Todd,

[tried emailing this to you, but address didn't work; please respond

Wow, great!  I've found some leads on the Apple II conversion, but
nothing yet for the Commodore 64 disk!  Riverside's only about an
hour away so I could drive over with the disk (there's only one game
which we have on a Commodore 64 5.25" disk).  I don't have the disks
in hand yet (the Saberhagens are working on making copy disks form
their masters, in New Mexico), but hopefully can have them sent to me
soon.  ot sure if they're copy-protected or not, but I will ask.

If there's a place for it, of course anyone lending help to this
endeavor would be given credit (e.g. perhaps in the credits on the
CD-ROM where the games will be included).

Shall I keep you posted on when I'm likely to have the floppy?  thanks
much

Jason

Post by Eric Curti » Sun, 02 Jun 2002 15:16:25

> Hi Todd,

> [tried emailing this to you, but address didn't work; please respond

> Wow, great!  I've found some leads on the Apple II conversion, but
> nothing yet for the Commodore 64 disk!  Riverside's only about an
> hour away so I could drive over with the disk (there's only one game
> which we have on a Commodore 64 5.25" disk).  I don't have the disks
> in hand yet (the Saberhagens are working on making copy disks form
> their masters, in New Mexico), but hopefully can have them sent to me
> soon.  ot sure if they're copy-protected or not, but I will ask.

> If there's a place for it, of course anyone lending help to this
> endeavor would be given credit (e.g. perhaps in the credits on the
> CD-ROM where the games will be included).

> Shall I keep you posted on when I'm likely to have the floppy?  thanks
> much

> Jason

For the C64 stuff, you might have better luck on the Arnolds Site.
http://arnold.c64.org/
--
ICQ 26608833; MnUSA# 65776; IRC Curt340; VSCA# 02446

Apple II / Commodore 64 game conversion!

Post by Burt » Sat, 08 Jun 2002 16:04:37

Have some book on converting programs between apple, c64, atari ...
I haven't look at it in all that much detail...
maybe it'll help...
--
   ___
  / __|__   Burt /Terminator                / /

Post by Ralph Gla » Sun, 09 Jun 2002 10:14:34

> Have some book on converting programs between apple, c64, atari ...
> I haven't look at it in all that much detail...
> maybe it'll help...

If the original poster isn't interested in the book you have, I sure
would be! Please email me at rbg at penn dot com if you're willing to
sell it to me. Thanks!

Ralph Glatt

1. Does anyone have an APPLE II or APPLE II gs Emulator

I need an apple 2 or apple2gs emulator for dos or windows please.
Thanx

| Lovely Spam, wonderful Spam!                   |

2. AT&T RR in Smyrna/Marrieta/Atlanta GA

3. Commodore 64 Game console...

4. Help--MSN Messenger

5. Commodore 64 / UltiMAX japanese games

6. OOD vs Structured Design approach

7. Commodore 64 games

8. 4.10 to 4.11