GeoCable II vs MPS 803?

Post by ShrieKbacK » Mon, 07 Aug 2000 04:00:00

I have just picked up an MPS 803 printer from a car boot sale for 1.

Doing my usual dismantling routine, clean up and component maintenance, the
printer looks and works as good as new! However my dilemma is I was just
about to buy the GeoCable II so that I could print direct to my Epson Stylus
Color 740.

Should I continue with this purchase and put the MPS 803 up for auction? The
reason I am asking is that I have read some rather poor opinions of the MPS
series of printers within these newsgroups. Is the GeoCable II a better
option than an MPS 803?

--
ShrieKbacK!

GeoCable II vs MPS 803?

Post by kh6.. » Mon, 07 Aug 2000 04:00:00

The MPS 803 is a piece of junk. Toss it.

: I have just picked up an MPS 803 printer from a car boot sale for 1.

: Doing my usual dismantling routine, clean up and component maintenance, the
: printer looks and works as good as new! However my dilemma is I was just
: about to buy the GeoCable II so that I could print direct to my Epson Stylus
: Color 740.

: Should I continue with this purchase and put the MPS 803 up for auction? The
: reason I am asking is that I have read some rather poor opinions of the MPS
: series of printers within these newsgroups. Is the GeoCable II a better
: option than an MPS 803?

: --
: ShrieKbacK!

--------------------------------

--------------------------------

GeoCable II vs MPS 803?

Post by Ranjith Ekanayake Mudiyanselag » Tue, 08 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> Doing my usual dismantling routine, clean up and component maintenance, the
> printer looks and works as good as new! However my dilemma is I was just
> about to buy the GeoCable II so that I could print direct to my Epson Stylus
> Color 740.

> Should I continue with this purchase and put the MPS 803 up for auction? The
> reason I am asking is that I have read some rather poor opinions of the MPS
> series of printers within these newsgroups. Is the GeoCable II a better
> option than an MPS 803?

What software are you using? If you have a GEOCable II, you need programs that
can print using the user port, otherwise it won't do you any good. Check your
manuals. I know that GEOS, Wheels, Mastertext, Pagefox, and Hi- Eddi do user
port printing. The Write Stuff and Speedscript don't, if I recall correctly, but
you better see your manual. If your program does user port printing, you really
ought to get the cable. It's really good to be able to get at those nifty new
printers :) . MPS 803 should be 7 pin dot matrix. When printing GEOPaint
documents, leave about a sixth of the page (from the right) free, the resolution
just isn't good enough (I started with a Seikosha which was compatible to the
MPS803/801). There is no quality printing with the MPS effectively, but you can
certainly use it for listing dumps. My experience with dot matrix printers is
that you virtually never need to replace the ribbon - just get used to the lousy
quality. Therefore it's advantage is, that printing a page costs you virtually
nothing. So there is at least one reason not to dump it.

                                                       DEATHWORKS