Copyright Help Available!

Post by Holly Goodhea » Wed, 10 Jul 1996 04:00:00

YOUR ELECTRONIC COPYRIGHT FAIRY-GODMOTHER IS HERE!

Need information regarding registering for copyright protection???  I can help!

WHO I AM - I am a former big-firm intellectual property lawyer (still licensed).  The
focus of my practice is copyright in the entertainment and technology realms.  I've now
"retired" in order to pursue a new career as a fledgling writer (but that's another
story......)

WHAT I DO - I  instruct you how to file for federal copyright protection properly (the
first time!), quickly and painlessly and will provide you VIA E-MAIL with all of the
information and requisite application form(s) for registering your particular type of work.
I'll also be a nice guy (rather gal) and answer your simple copyright questions in the
process (i.e., without wearing my lawyer hat - I left that world, remember!)

WHAT IT COSTS - My fee is a mere $25 for this service, payable by credit card
(visa/mc/amex/discover).  Other forms of payment negotiable (e.g., cash, check, small
stones, subway tokens, ex-husbands, etc.).

WHY I AM DOING THIS - Well to make money of course.

TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE? - Maybe, but I'm legit,  perhaps just stupid.  I am able to
provide this useful service at a low cost (yes, my former law firm charged upwards of
$200
an hour for my services) for two simple reasons: a) I am a trained professional and after
several years of experience in this area know it inside and out so it doesn't take much
time for me to provide you with this information because its in my head/at my fingertips;
and b) Now that I work at home in my pajamas over the computer, I have virtually no
overhead!

WHY SHOULD YOU USE MY SERVICES? - Because if you do, you will be assured
that you are filing for copyright protection properly , and you won't have to go through
the hassle of figuring out how to do it yourself, take the risk of not registering properly
and/or paying YOUR big firm lawyer $200 an hour to do it for you.

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? - You could be on your way to ensuring protection
of your work within hours (minutes??).  Full refund if not satisfied!  Simply e-mail me
with a general description of the type of work you wish to register (e.g., screenplay,
computer program, film, etc.), provide contact information, and, if you wish to proceed
without further info, your credit card information (or, if you prefer to fax this
information to me for security purposes, the fax number in my home office is
310-652-9050).  I will thereafter e-mail you confirmation of receipt and then e-mail you
all necessary information and application forms, and will be available to answer your
additional questions.  Of course, feel free to contact me for more information about me
and/or my service before you make a decision to proceed....

Thank you for your time!  Oh, and one last thing....iIt would be greatly appreciated if
you would be kind enough to forward this message to other groups/individuals you
know of who may be interested in my service.

Thanks again.

P.S.  If there is enough interest, I may start a copyright mailing list if I can figure out
how to set up the program....So please e-mail me to let me know if you'ld be interested
in that as well.

Copyright Help Available!

Post by Imaginact » Thu, 11 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>YOUR ELECTRONIC COPYRIGHT FAIRY-GODMOTHER IS HERE!
>Need information regarding registering for copyright protection???  I can help!
>WHO I AM - I am a former big-firm intellectual property lawyer (still licensed).  The
>focus of my practice is copyright in the entertainment and technology realms.  I've now
>"retired" in order to pursue a new career as a fledgling writer (but that's another
>story......)
>WHAT I DO - I  instruct you how to file for federal copyright protection properly (the
>first time!), quickly and painlessly and will provide you VIA E-MAIL with all of the
>information and requisite application form(s) for registering your particular type of work.
>I'll also be a nice guy (rather gal) and answer your simple copyright questions in the
>process (i.e., without wearing my lawyer hat - I left that world, remember!)

This may be a god service, and I am not flaming you for offering it,
but I did notice that no where in your announcement did you announce
that in order to obtain a copywrite, no filing is needed.

All that is needed to secure a copywrite is to place, visually, on
whatever you are copywriting, a "Copywrite (the copywrite
symbol)(Date)(Your name)". That's it! This is legal in a court of law
and is protected by treaty in several countries.

The only reason to file is to have a public record of your work. It is
not nescessary, but is a good idea. The specifics of filing is
available from the Library of Congresses Web Page. I have the actual
page, in HTML format, if anyone wants me to send it to them.

Copyright Help Available!

Post by H. Golightl » Thu, 11 Jul 1996 04:00:00

*     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *

[...]

Post by Terry Aust » Thu, 11 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Newsgroups:
alt.movies.independant,alt.journalism.*,alt.ezines,comp.sys.mac..games,rec..games..frp..dnd,rec..audio..pro,comp..emulators..misc,misc..legal..computing,rec..arts..prose,alt..prose
Subject: Copyright Help Available!
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 1996 22:11:18 -0800

comp.sys.mac.games:55251 rec.games.frp.dnd:97039 rec.audio.pro:70497
comp.emulators.misc:10217 misc.legal.computing:15253
rec.arts.prose:6657 alt.prose:5295

Quote:>WHO I AM - I am a former big-firm intellectual property lawyer (still licensed).
>WHAT I DO - I  instruct you how to file for federal copyright protection properly (the
>first time!),
>WHAT IT COSTS - My fee is a mere $25 for this service, payable by credit card
>(visa/mc/amex/discover).  Other forms of payment negotiable (e.g., cash, check, small
>stones, subway tokens, ex-husbands, etc.).

As I recall (and I'm *damned* sure of this), *all* written material,
artwork, or anything else that qualifies for copyright protection is
*automatically* copyrighted at the moment of creation.  One can still
file the appropriate paperwork, for additional protection, but it is
by no means necessary, and the only function it really serves is to
set a date of creation that cannot be disputed.

Quote:>WHY I AM DOING THIS - Well to make money of course.

!

Quote:>TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE? - Maybe, but I'm legit,  perhaps just stupid.

!

Quote:>I am a trained professional and after
>several years of experience in this area know it inside and out

!

Quote:>WHY SHOULD YOU USE MY SERVICES? - Because if you do, you will be assured
>that you are filing for copyright protection properly , and you won't have to go through
>the hassle of figuring out how to do it yourself, take the risk of not registering properly
>and/or paying YOUR big firm lawyer $200 an hour to do it for you.

I've seen the forms in question.  The average dirt clod could fill one
out.  Even Poison could probably get it right.  The *first* time.

Quote:>Thank you for your time!  Oh, and one last thing....iIt would be greatly appreciated if
>you would be kind enough to forward this message to other groups/individuals you
>know of who may be interested in my service.

So that you may be flammed as a spamming scammer, too!  TWELVE
newsgroups!  Advertising to do something that is not only FREE, but
occurs AUTOMATICALLY when you create something that qualifies for the
protection in the first place!  From someone who wants your CREDIT
CARD NUMBER!

Quote:>Thanks again.

Oh, thank YOU!  I haven't had such a laugh in a long time.  Your
postmaster probably hasn't, either.

Quote:>P.S.  If there is enough interest, I may start a copyright mailing list if I can figure out
>how to set up the program....So please e-mail me to let me know if you'ld be interested
>in that as well.

And how much will *that* cost?

-------------------------------------
Terry Austin
Hyperbooks Online Bookstore
Submission Guidelines at:
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Role Playing Submissions Welcome!

-------------------------------------
Sure I'm prejudiced!  None of my friends are idiots!
----Larry Niven

Copyright Help Available!

Post by Tom Lored » Thu, 11 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Hi-

There's been somewhat ignorant info in the responses to
the message starting this thread.  Yes, it's true, your
work is copyrighted (not copywritten!! -- it's a right,
not a write!) when you put the appropriate marks on it
(and I believe even if you don't).  But filing a copyright
gets you *additional* rights beyond those available to
someone who has not filed (you can sue for penalties beyond
damages if your copyright is violated, for example).
Besides which, it is much easier to prove a violation if
your work is filed.

I'm told (by songwriters) that is is neither difficult nor
expensive to file copyrights yourself.  There is a lot of
info about it online, much quite readable.  I've collected
several links on my acoustic guitar pages:

   http://astrosun.tn.cornell.edu/staff/loredo/ag/

Look in the "music" page, near the end.

None of this should be construed as recommending that you
use or not use the services advertised in the original post.

Good luck,
-Tom Loredo

Copyright Help Available!

Post by Terry Aust » Fri, 12 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>I'm told (by songwriters) that is is neither difficult nor
>expensive to file copyrights yourself.  There is a lot of
>info about it online, much quite readable.  I've collected
>several links on my acoustic guitar pages:

I've seen the forms, and my shoelaces could fill them out.  It is
*not* necessary to have legal assistance if you are reasonably
literate.

Quote:>   http://astrosun.tn.cornell.edu/staff/loredo/ag/
>Look in the "music" page, near the end.

By all means, research the facts yourself before giving your credit
card number to someone who changes their name in every post.

-------------------------------------
http://www.well.com/user/taustin

Role Playing Submissions Welcome!

-------------------------------------
Sure I'm prejudiced!  None of my friends are idiots!
----Larry Niven

Copyright Help Available!

Post by Terry Aust » Fri, 12 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>All that is needed to secure a copywrite is to place, visually, on
>whatever you are copywriting, a "Copywrite (the copywrite
>symbol)(Date)(Your name)". That's it! This is legal in a court of law
>and is protected by treaty in several countries.

Even that's not necessary.  The only thing necessary to copyright
something is to create it.  Copyright is automatic.  The notice makes
it easier to enforce, and will have a significant effect on any
judgements, as will registrations.  But it's not necessary.

-------------------------------------
Terry Austin
Hyperbooks Online Bookstore
Submission Guidelines at:
http://www.well.com/user/taustin

Role Playing Submissions Welcome!

-------------------------------------
Sure I'm prejudiced!  None of my friends are idiots!
----Larry Niven

Copyright Help Available!

Post by Terry Aust » Fri, 12 Jul 1996 04:00:00

First spam:

alt.journalism.*:3067 alt.ezines:563
comp.sys.mac.games.adventure:16239 rec.games.frp.dnd:97116
rec.audio.pro:70561 comp.emulators.misc:10240
misc.legal.computing:15257 rec.arts.prose:6675 alt.prose:5307

Second spam:

comp.sys.mac.games:55251 rec.games.frp.dnd:97039 rec.audio.pro:70497
comp.emulators.misc:10217 misc.legal.computing:15253
rec.arts.prose:6657 alt.prose:5295

Note Ms. Holly has changed her last name from Goodhead to Golightly.
If I didn't know someone whose name really *is* Golightly, I'd swear
she was making these names up as * euphamisms.

<Identical post snipped>

-------------------------------------

Post by Larry Colli » Fri, 12 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>>WHAT I DO - I  instruct you how to file for federal copyright protection properly (the
>>first time!), quickly and painlessly and will provide you VIA E-MAIL with all of the
>>information and requisite application form(s) for registering your particular type of work.
>>I'll also be a nice guy (rather gal) and answer your simple copyright questions in the
>>process (i.e., without wearing my lawyer hat - I left that world, remember!)

>This may be a god service, and I am not flaming you for offering it,
>but I did notice that no where in your announcement did you announce
>that in order to obtain a copywrite, no filing is needed.

>All that is needed to secure a copywrite is to place, visually, on
>whatever you are copywriting, a "Copywrite (the copywrite
>symbol)(Date)(Your name)". That's it! This is legal in a court of law
>and is protected by treaty in several countries.

>The only reason to file is to have a public record of your work. It is
>not nescessary, but is a good idea. The specifics of filing is

Actually, the best reason to file is to have a documented DATE of the
copyright. You own the copyright as soon as it's in "fixed form", but
that doesn't mean squat if someone else has it in "fixed form" also,
and can prove the date better than you.

Also, if you sue someone for infringement of a registered work, you
can include your legal fees in the settlement.

Otherwise, you're likely to recover only the ACTUAL profits made by
the infringer, and legal fees are likely to eat most or all of your
settlement, or worse.

Quote:>All that is needed to secure a copywrite is to place, visually, on
>whatever you are copywriting, a "Copywrite (the copywrite

No, even THAT little isn't needed. As soon as it's recorded, or
written down, it's automatically copyrighted.

As I said, though that won't mean much in court.

There was a case where Dolly Parton was sued over "9 to 5" by a guy
who mailed a copy of it to himself through Registered Mail, and he
lost. The jury said his song was similar enough to win the suit, but
Dolly had it registered and he didn't.

No proof that he didn't tamper with the sealed envelope after it was
delivered, for one thing.

Copyright Help Available!

Post by Larry Colli » Fri, 12 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>YOUR ELECTRONIC COPYRIGHT FAIRY-GODMOTHER IS HERE!

>Need information regarding registering for copyright protection???  I can help!

What in the Catfish Hell would anyone need with what you're offering?

Anyone who can create something that needs copyright can certainly
fill out a little one-page form, just from the instructions that come
with it.

Are you offering any information that can't be gotten by visiting
http://loc.gov and getting the circulars and forms there?

This IS the USA, but it still irks me to see someone trolling for
suckers, because they always catch people who are merely naive.

Copyright Help Available!

Post by Catherine & Lew Middau » Fri, 12 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *

> YOUR ELECTRONIC COPYRIGHT FAIRY-GODMOTHER IS HERE!

> Need information regarding registering for copyright protection???  I can help!

[long snip]

Whenever I see something like this it brings up the old saw, "If it sounds too good to be true it is."  This message is a con of  the first order.

Regards,
Catherine

--

Copyright Help Available!

Post by Nichole Y Ki » Fri, 12 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>So that you may be flammed as a spamming scammer, too!  TWELVE
>newsgroups!  Advertising to do something that is not only FREE, but
>occurs AUTOMATICALLY when you create something that qualifies for the
>protection in the first place!

It is quite distasteful the way the "fairy-godmother" posted
shameless advertising.  However, I would like to clarify one point.
It is true that copyright protection occurs "automatically" when one
creates an original work. Nevertheless, there _IS_ a cost in
registering one's work with the U.S. Copyright Office in order to obtain
federal copyright protection (which is the service which is being offered,
albeit unnecessarily).  The forms are quite easy to fill out.

Registering your work with the U.S. Copyright Office provides you with
substantial benefits such as the ability to obtain statutory damages if
the works are infringed.

Indeed, it is a shame to see some lawyers prostituting themselves so
shamelessly.

Nichole

Copyright Help Available!

Post by h.. » Fri, 12 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>>YOUR ELECTRONIC COPYRIGHT FAIRY-GODMOTHER IS HERE!

   [snip]

Quote:>Are you offering any information that can't be gotten by visiting
>http://loc.gov and getting the circulars and forms there?

   The correct URL for the main Library of Congress web page is:

      http://lcweb.loc.gov

   These opinions are my own, not those of the Library of
Congress.

                                             Howard Sanner

Copyright Help Available!

Post by Mark Asht » Fri, 12 Jul 1996 04:00:00

[lengthy but friendly offer cut]
Holly Golightly is a lawyer? God save us all...

-Mark

1. HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP

When someone sends a file to the newsgroup with an attachment what do
you do with it. Do I join it as the first part doesn't work without it.
Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please help me as I
much software in this state. Thanks.
Regards.
--
James A.Sheffield.

2. RoadRunner and card setup?

3. HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP !!!!!!!

4. US games vs EU games

5. Software copyright status: Audiogenic

6. USR 5686D and low speed problems

7. Copyrights

8. REQ: Copyright Dates?

9. The official word on software copyrights in NZ...

10. Copyright

11. C64 emulators and copyright

12. FAQ pointer -- please read (was: Copyright on CBM games?)