SIMULATION DIGEST V26 N7

Post by Moderator: Paul Fishwi » Tue, 17 Mar 1992 11:27:45

Volume: 26, Issue: 7, Sun Mar 15 21:27:02 EST 1992

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

[NEW QUESTIONS]
  Virtual Corporate Models
  Radio Simulation Tools
  Using Simulation for Teaching Computer Networks
[REGARDING PAST QUESTIONS]
  Simulation in Computer Science
[TECHNICAL REPORTS]
  Problems with Technical Report Printing
[CALL FOR PAPERS/PARTICIPATION]
  Dynamic Modelling of Information Systems
  Designing Dynamic Systems and Organizations
  Computer Aided Design

* Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
* Send topical mail to: simulat...@bikini.cis.ufl.edu OR
  post to comp.simulation via USENET
* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu (128.227.224.1).
  Login as 'ftp', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest. Do 'type binary' before any file xfers.
* Simulation Tools available by doing above and changing the
  directory to pub/simdigest/tools.

Subject: [NEW QUESTIONS]

------------------------------

Newsgroups: comp.simulation
From: eich...@dec6.wu-wien.ac.at (Brigitte Eichler)
Subject: Inquiry about CIM -- virtual corporate models
Sender: n...@wu-wien.ac.at (NetNews)
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 1992 18:02:17 GMT
Apparently-To: comp-simulat...@news.uu.net

Inquiry about CIM -- virtual corporate models

We are a group of students at the Vienna University of Economics
and Business Administration, department of Business Management,
Professor Eschenbach.
The subject of our current scientific project is

        International Concepts of CIM.

For this purpose we are collecting information on already existing
projects and on projects under development.
Furthermore we are looking for contacts (addresses, fax- and
telephone numbers) who might be able to furnish additional data.

Our main points of interest are the following:

        - virtual corporate models,
        - CIM-simulations,
        - artificial intelligence and neuronal networks and
        - their applications in business corporations,
        - case studies concerning integrated CIM concepts,
        - integrated business planning.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,

Mag. Brigitte Eichler,

Student Group Leader.

 ---

Where else should I post this query?

------------------------------

To: simulat...@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Cc: i...@nttslb.ntt.jp
Subject: Radio Simulation Tools/Methods
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 92 16:17:35 +0900
From: i...@nttslb.ntt.jp

      Dear Sirs,

      I would like to have radio simulation tools/methods.
      Are there any information?

      [My purpose]
      In real life(Cellular System)
         subscribers --------- base station -------- PSTN
                       Radio                  Wire
         Radio transmission is done by TDMA or CDMA.
                     fig.1 Real Life Configuration

      I want to simulate the above situation with the following
      configuration.
         SUN ws for subscriber ------- SUN ws for base station
                                Ether
                         fig.2 My Configuration

      I will appreciate any radio simulation tools/methods
      and  any questions and comments on my purpose.

 -- Mitsutaka Ito                  E-mail: i...@nttslb.ntt.jp
 -- NTT Software Laboratories      Tel/Fax: +81-3-3740-5715/+81-3-3740-5740
 -- Adddress: 1-9-1 Kohnan Minato-ku Tokyo 108 Japan

------------------------------

Newsgroups: comp.edu,comp.protocols.appletalk,comp.simulation
From: d...@wildcat.dartmouth.edu (David Kotz)
Subject: teaching computer networks
Sender: n...@dartmouth.edu (The News Manager)
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1992 21:36:54 GMT
Apparently-To: comp-simulat...@rutgers.edu

I am teaching Computer Networks to undergraduates this spring. Does
anyone know of good software for demonstrating protocols and concepts
in computer networking? Something that runs on Macs or Unix with X is
most useful. I'm looking for two types of software:
 -- a visualization of protocols, such as data link protocols, routing
algorithms, etc.
 -- a simulation environment where students can implement simple
protocols and test them, e.g., they could implement a simple routing
protocol, plug it in, and see how it reacts under different loads.

They will also be writing AppleTalk and TCP/IP programs, but I am
looking for an environment that was a little less hostile and a little
more flexible, to allow them to focus more on concepts and less on
implementation details.

I don't read these groups so please respond by email.

Thanks,
David Kotz
Asst. Prof.

 --
 -----------------
Mathematics and Computer Science

------------------------------

Subject: [REGARDING PAST QUESTIONS]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Mar 92 17:50:39 EST
From: Richard E. Nance - SRC <srcna...@popeye.src.vt.edu>
To: simulat...@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: RE: Simulation Techniques in Computer Science
Cc: fishw...@fish.cis.ufl.edu
=>
=>
=> Mr. Coenen:
=>
=> I need some clarification of your inquiry to know how to respond.
=>
=>
=> I'm looking for references to
=> articles that introduced simulation techniques in
=> computer science ,say before 1981, such as
=>
=> R. Milner, An algebraic definition of simulation between programs
=> Proc. IJCAI 1971, pp 481--489.
=>
=> * What is meant by "simulation techniques in computer science"?
=> * I do not know if papers on time flow mechanisms, languages,
=> * etc. are "in computer science."  What is your purpose or need
=> * for information?
=>
=>
=> I'm especially interested in an article by D. Park that
=> (if I'm correctly informed) appeared in 1971 or 1972.
=> (I know about his 1981 article)
=>
=> And in "early' references to back-forth simulation.
=>
=> * Pray tell, what is "back-forth simulation"?  I have never heard
=> * the term used before.
=>
=> * Dick Nance
=>

------------------------------

Subject: [TECHNICAL REPORTS]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Mar 92 19:25:16 -0500
From: "Paul Fishwick" <fishw...@fish.cis.ufl.edu>
To: simulat...@ufl.edu
Subject: new TR

Date: Sat, 7 Mar 92 11:44:45 PST
From: jamin%caldera.usc....@usc.edu (Sugih Jamin)
To: comp-simulat...@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: If you have problems printing our tech. report . . .

From: ja...@caldera.usc.edu (Sugih Jamin)
Newsgroups: comp.simulation
Date: 7 Mar 1992 11:44:44 -0800
Sender: ja...@caldera.usc.edu (Sugih Jamin)

Hello,

Several people have had problems printing our tech. report
on tcplib announced here a few weeks back.  I have generated
a new postscript file (with an older operating system/device
driver) that should print without problems.  If you had problems
printing our tech. report, you might consider getting the new
version.  Sorry for any inconveniences.  Following is the
announcement I posted on the availability of the tech. report.

There is a new version (0.9) of tcplib on jerico.usc.edu
(128.125.51.6), under ~ftp/pub/jamin/tcplib.

The differences between this version and the previous version are:
    - Two bug fixes.
    - Uniform use of lrand48() in place of random().
    - Addition of telephone (voice) conversation characteristics.
    - Addition of application breakdown characteristics.
    - A more descriptive tech report.  Among other things, the tech
      report shows how to use the traffic application breakdown to
      derive a simple conversation arrival model.
If you use the old version of tcplib, you want to get the new version
if just for the bug fixes.  And if you do use tcplib, please send us
your e-mail address to expedite future bug fixes.

Following is the orginal release note of tcplib.  The papers
[Caceres91] and [Danzig92] cited in the tech report are also available
for anonymous ftp from jerico.usc.edu:~ftp/pub/jamin/traffic. The file
traffic.ps.Z is for [Caceres91] and the files journal.part[1-4].ps.Z
are for [Danzig92].

The following technical report and the source library it describes are
available for anonymous ftp from jerico.usc.edu:~ftp/pub/jamin/tcplib.
(Jerico's IP address is 128.125.51.6.) The directory contains the
following files:

  README
  libtcp_ds31_ultrix41.a.Z
  libtcp_hp90_hpux847.a.Z
  libtcp_sun3_sunos411.a.Z
  libtcp_sun4_sunos411.a.Z
  brkdn_dist.h
  tcpapps.h
  tcplib.1
  tcplib.tar.Z
  tcplibtr.ps.Z

All you need to transfer to use the library are: README, brkdn_dist.h,
tcpapps.h, tcplib.1, and one of libtcp* that matches your setup.  You
need tcplib.tar.Z only if you must generate the library yourself.
The file tcplibtr.ps.Z is the PostScript version of the tech. report
which is introduced below:

    tcplib: A Library of TCP Internetwork Traffic Characteristics

                 Peter B. Danzig       Sugih Jamin

                    Computer Science Department,
                 University of Southern California,
                 Los Angeles, California 90089-0781

                     traf...@excalibur.usc.edu

                            USC-CS-91-495

1. Introduction
  When simulating computer networks, it is necessary to specify the
traffic between network nodes.  Typically, simulation studies of
wide-area tcp/ip networks model traffic as a combination of Poisson
processes and maximal rate streams--corresponding to telnet traffic
and large file transfers respectively.  Such traffic models are
justified when the modeler wants to show, for example, that his flow
control or gateway scheduling algorithm responds well to worst case
traffic or when essentially nothing is known about the real network
traffic.  However, such models do not reveal how similarly robust
algorithms respond to the common case load.
  This paper describes tcplib, a library to help generate realistic
tcp/ip network traffic.  Tcplib is motivated by our observation that
present-day wide-area tcp/ip traffic cannot be accurately modeled with
simple analytical expressions, but instead requires a combination of
detailed knowledge of the end-user applications responsible for the
traffic and certain measured probability distributions [Caceres91].
We collected three-day traces of wide-area Internet traffic at UC
Berkeley, University of Southern California, and Bell Communications
Research.  Our study identified that out of more than 35 different
application programs, ftp, smtp, nntp, vmnet, telnet, and rlogin are
responsible for 96% of wide-area tcp/ip bytes.  Two related studies,
one at University College London and the other at Lawrence Berkeley
Laboratory, identified a subset of these six applications as
responsible for most of their wide-area tcp traffic [Crowcroft91]
[Paxson91]. Tcplib models five of these six applications.  It excluded
vmnet, an IBM mail exchange application , because it was absent from
three of the five traces.  Furthermore, since telnet and rlogin have
essentially the same characteristics, we have included in tcplib only
routines describing telnetUs.  Additionally, we included characteristics
of phone conversations based on the study reported in [Brady65] and a
distribution of conversations composition breakdown derived from several
stub-network traces.
 --
sugih                                              Use email, save a tree.

------------------------------

Subject: [CALL FOR PAPERS/PARTICIPATION]

------------------------------

Newsgroups: comp.simulation
From: winf...@dutrun2.tudelft.nl (Alexander Verbraeck)
Subject: Call for Part: Dynamic Modelling of Information Systems III
Sender: n...@dutrun2.tudelft.nl (Aad Boer)
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 1992 02:41:35 GMT

                         CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

                Third International Working Conference on
                Dynamic Modelling of Information Systems

                            June 9 - 10, 1992
                    Noordwijkerhout, the Netherlands

                              Organized by
                     Delft University of Technology
                    Department of Information Systems

INTRODUCTION
 ------------

Two successful working conferences on dynamic modelling of information
systems have been held in 1990 (the Netherlands) and 1991 (USA).
Elsevier North-Holland published the proceedings of both conferences,
and the many positive reactions that were received - both during the
conferences and afterward - show that there is a growing interest in
this field.

The "Third International Working Conference on Dynamic Modelling of
Information Systems" will be held on June 9-10, in Noordwijkerhout,
the Netherlands. In order to ensure a high quality of the conference,
an internationally well-established Program Committee has been formed.

OBJECTIVE
 ---------

Dynamic modelling is an approach for analyzing various aspects of
information systems, including the behaviour of actors and organizations
employing information systems. The approach recognizes that activities
happen concurrently in organizations, and that methods are needed to
model concurrency in information systems. The objective of the Third
International Working Conference on Dynamic Modelling of Information
Systems is to bring together interested information systems users and
developers, researchers and educators for cross-fertilization and
exchange of information and ideas. The expectation is that continued
development of dynamic models of information systems will lead to the
solution of a number of real-world problems in information systems
development and operation.

At this third conference, special interest will be paid to defining a
consistent terminology for dynamic modelling, to the construction of
professional tools and methods for dynamic modelling, to empirical
studies on dynamic approaches of information systems analysis and design,
and to the transfer of the technology to government and commercial
organizations.

PRELIMINARY PROGRAM
 -------------------

The following papers have been selected to be presented at the conference:

P. Humphreys
The London School of Economics and Political Science, England
Opening speech

J.W. Stott
University of Maryland, MD, USA
R.L. Crosslin
The American University, DC, USA
Modelling Information System Behaviour: Integrating the Research Framework

R.J. Streng and H.G. Sol
Delft University of Technology, the Netherlands
A Dynamic Modelling Approach to Analyze Chain Dynamics on the Inter-
Organizational Level

A.J. Vaz-Velho and R. Carapuga
INESC-Instituto de Engenharia de Systemas e Computadores, Portugal
SOM: A Semantic Object Model - Towards an Abstract, Complete and Unifying
Way to Model the Real World

R.M. Lee
University of Austin, TX, USA
Dynamic Modeling of Contracting Procedures: A Case for EDI

G. Goldkuhl
Linkvping University, Sweden
Contextual Activity Modelling of Information Systems

O. Krusevac, D. Cecez-Kecmanovic, A. Sadikovic, I. Stanisevic and
B. Vuckovic
University of Sarajevo, Yugoslavia
Temporal Aspects of Organizational Activity Support Systems (ASS)

A.K. Fowler, K. Curry and D. Franks
Ernst & Young Management Consultants, England
The Dynamics of Commercial Processes: Concurrency in Events and Episodes

W.M.P. v.d. Aalst
Eindhoven University of Technology, the Netherlands
Logistics: a Systems Oriented Approach

S. Qureshi
The London School of Economics and Political Science, England
Organizational Modelling Using Coloured Petri-nets

C. Cauvet
Universiti de Paris, France
An Event-Driven Approach to the Dynamic Modelling of Objects

F.H. Stanley
DMR Group Inc., Germany
Conceptual Framework for Analyzing Business Infrastructure as an
Integrated Dynamic Model

U. Frank
GMD (Gesellschaft f|r Mathematik und Datenverarbeitung), Germany
Designing Procedures within an Object-Oriented Enterprise Model

G.J. Ramackers
University of Leiden, the Netherlands
P. Verkoulen
Eindhoven University of Technology, the Netherlands
A Formally Integrated Conceptual Model Based on Objects

R.L.W. v.d. Weg and R. Engmann
University of Twente, the Netherlands
Co-ordination and Competences in Dynamic Models based on an Object-
Oriented Framework

H. Saastamoinen and V. Savolainen
University of Jyvdskyld, Finland
Exception Handling in Office Information Systems

J. Rothenberg
The RAND Corporation, CA, USA
Using Causality as the Basis for Dynamic Modeling

P.W.G. Bots and R.C.J. Dur
Delft University of Technology, the Netherlands
Re-engineering Business Processes at a Dutch Municipality

J. Warren, A.F. Norcio, J.W. Stott, G.C. Canfield and R.W. Freedman
University of Maryland, MD, USA
The Decision Support Effectiveness of a Simulation Environment for
Information Systems Analysts: An Exploratory Study

CONFERENCE FEE
 --------------

The conference fee is HFL 600,- . This fee includes participation in the
conference, a conference proceedings, a room for June 8th and 9th,
breakfast and lunches during the conference and a conference dinner on
Tuesday evening.

For those who would like to have a room for Wednesday June 10th an
additional HFL 100,- will be charged.

HOW TO REGISTER FOR THE CONFERENCE
 ----------------------------------

Fill in the registration form contained at the end of this e-mail and
mail (or fax or send) it to:

winf...@duticai.tudelft.nl

Dr. A. Verbraeck
Delft University of Technology
Department of Information Systems
P.O. Box 356, 2600 AJ Delft, the Netherlands

   Do not enclose checks or money in your registration. Participants
   will receive an invoice for the conference fee as soon as their
   registration form has arrived.

As the total number of participants in this working conference is limited,
it is important to send your registration in as soon as possible.

The conference will start with an informal meeting on the evening of
June 8th, and the official program for the conference will start early
on June 9th. It is therefore important to plan to arrive in
Noordwijkerhout on the evening of Monday, June 8th.

For more information, contact:

Local organization                   Program Chairman
Dr. Alexander Verbraeck              Prof.dr. H.G. Sol
Dept. of Information Systems         Dept. of Information Systems
Delft University of Technology       Delft University of Technology
P.O. Box 356                         P.O. Box 356
2600 AJ Delft, The Netherlands       2600 AJ Delft, The Netherlands
Tel 31 (15) 783805 / 784475          Tel 31 (15) 784412 / 784475
Fax 31 (15) 786632 / 787022          Fax 31 (15) 786632 / 787022
e-mail  winf...@duticai.tudelft.nl   e-mail  s...@duticai.tudelft.nl

ORGANIZING COMMITTEE
 --------------------
Ir. M.H. Nieuwmans
Dr. A. Verbraeck
Ir. G.J. de Vreede

PROGRAM COMMITTEE AND REFEREEING
 --------------------------------

Prof. V. de Antonellis
University of Milan, Italy

Prof.dr. J.A. Bubenko
University of Stockholm, Kista, Sweden

Prof.dr. R.L. Crosslin
The American University, Washington D.C., USA

Dr. J.B. Evans
University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong

Prof.dr. L. Mathiassen
University of Aalborg, Denmark

Dr. O.M. Nierstrasz
Centre Universitaire d'Informatique, Geneva, Switzerland

Mr. J. Rothenberg
The RAND Corporation, Santa Monica, USA

Dr. P. Samarati
University of Milan, Italy

Prof.dr. V. Savolainen
University of Jyvdskyld, Finland

Prof.dr. H.G. Sol
Delft University of Technology, Delft, the Netherlands

Prof.dr. R.J. Sprague Jr.
Institute for the Future, Menlo Park CA, USA (temporarily)

Mr. H. Tardieu
SEMA GROUP, Montrouge, France

Prof.dr. K.M. van Hee
University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Canada (temporarily)

Dr. A. Verbraeck
Delft University of Technology, Delft, the Netherlands

Prof.dr. H. Wedekind
University of Erlangen-N|rnberg, Erlangen, Germany

Dr. F.W. Wierda
Origin Information Technology Hamburg GmbH, Hamburg, Germany

                         Call for Participation - Form

                   Third International Working Conference on
                   Dynamic Modelling of Information Systems

                               June 9 - 10, 1992
                       Noordwijkerhout, the Netherlands

  __  I want to participate in the Third International Working Conference
      on Dynamic Modelling of Information Systems on June 9-10, 1992.

_________________________________   ___________________________   __________
Last name                           First                         Middle

Organization

Address

_____________________   _________    _________   ___________________________
City                    State        Zip Code    Country

_____________________   _____________________    ___________________________
Phone                   Fax                      E-mail address

I would like to use a room on (please check):
__  Monday night, June 8th
__  Tuesday night, June 9th
__  Wednesday night, June 10th (extra fee of HFL 100,-)

_____________________    _____________________
Signature                Date

I will wait with my payment until I receive an invoice

Please mail this form to: winf...@duticai.tudelft.nl

                          Dr. Alexander Verbraeck
                          Dept. of Information Systems
                          Delft University of Technology
                          P.O. Box 356, 2600 AJ Delft, The Netherlands

Or fax it to Fax number (31) 15 786632 or (31) 15 787022

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Mar 92 19:26:22 -0500
Newsgroups: comp.simulation
From: winf...@dutrun2.tudelft.nl (Alexander Verbraeck)
Subject: CFP: HICSS-26 - Minitrack on Designing Dynamic Systems and Org.
Sender: n...@dutrun2.tudelft.nl (Aad Boer)
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 1992 02:44:24 GMT

                                CALL FOR PAPERS

                                   HICSS-26
               Hawaii International Conference on System Science
                       Kauai, Hawaii, January 5-8, 1993

                  DESIGNING DYNAMIC SYSTEMS AND ORGANIZATIONS
                              A HICSS - MINITRACK

              Coordinated by Henk G. Sol and Alexander Verbraeck
                        Delft University of Technology

OBJECTIVE
 ---------

Dynamic modelling is an approach for analyzing various aspects of
information-intensive organizations, including the behavior of actors
and organizations employing information systems. The approach recognizes
that activities happen concurrently in organizations, and that methods
are needed to model concurrency in information systems. In addition,
systems and organizations must adapt to changes in the environment and
to each other. The objective of this minitrack is to bring together
interested information systems users and developers, researchers
and educators for cross-fertilization and exchange of information and
ideas. The expectation is that continued development of dynamic models
of dynamic systems and organizations will lead to the solution of a
number of real-world problems in information systems development and
operation.

Special interest will be paid to defining a consistent terminology for
dynamic modelling, to the construction of professional tools and methods
for dynamic modelling, to empirical studies on dynamic approaches of
systems analysis and design, and to the transfer of the technology to
government and commercial organizations.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR SUBMITTING PAPERS
 ----------------------------------

Manuscripts should be 22 - 25 typewritten, double-spaced pages in length.
Please, do not send submissions that are significantly shorter or longer
than this. The paper must not have been previously presented or published,
nor concurrently submitted for journal publication. Each manuscript will
be subjected to a rigorous refereeing process. Manuscripts should have a
title page that includes the title of the paper, full name(s) of the
author(s), affiliation(s), complete postal and electronic address(es),
telephone number(s), and a 300-word abstract of the paper.

DEADLINES
 ---------

 - A 300-word abstract is due by March 15, 1992.
 - Feedback to author(s) on abstract by April 1, 1992.
 - Eight copies of the manuscript are due by June 5, 1992.
 - Notification of accepted papers by August 31, 1992.
 - Camera-ready copies of accepted manuscripts are due by October 1, 1992.

If you are not able to make the deadline for the abstract, but you are
able to have your manuscript ready by June 5, please let us know as soon
as possible (by fax, by e-mail).

SEND SUBMISSIONS AND QUESTIONS TO
 ---------------------------------

Dr. Alexander Verbraeck                Prof.dr. H.G. Sol
Dept. of Information Systems           Dept. of Systems Engineering
Delft University of Technology         Delft University of Technology
P.O. Box 356                           P.O. Box 5015
2600 AJ Delft, The Netherlands         2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands
Tel 31 (15) 783805 / 784475            Tel 31 (15) 784412 / 787100
Fax 31 (15) 786632 / 787022            Fax 31 (15) 784811
e-mail  winf...@duticai.tudelft.nl     e-mail  s...@sepa.tudelft.nl

------------------------------

To: comp-simulat...@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Subject: FINAL CALL - International Conference on CAD
From: fu...@crhc.uiuc.edu (W. Kent Fuchs)
Newsgroups: comp.lsi.cad,comp.simulation,comp.lang.vhdl,news.announce.conferences,comp.lsi,comp.lsi.testing,alt.cad
Date: 9 Mar 92 16:11:11 GMT

                    *****  FINAL CALL FOR PAPERS  *****

         IEEE/ACM INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON COMPUTER-AIDED DESIGN

                                  ICCAD-92

               Submission Due Date:  Postmarked April 12, 1992

     The IEEE/ACM 1992 INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON COMPUTER-AIDED DESIGN
     will  be  held  November  8-12, 1992, in Santa Clara, CA.  ICCAD is
     oriented  towards   Electrical   Engineering   CAD   professionals,
     concentrating on CAD for Electronic Circuit Design.

     AREAS OF INTEREST

     Original technical papers on (but not  limited  to)  the  following
     topics are invited:
     1) COMBINATIONAL LOGIC SYNTHESIS
     2) SEQUENTIAL LOGIC SYNTHESIS
     3) HIGH LEVEL SYNTHESIS, VERIFICATION
     4) TIMING OPTIMIZATION, MODELING AND ANALYSIS
     5) ANALOG MODELING, SIMULATION AND SYNTHESIS
     6) PROCESS AND DEVICE MODELING AND SIMULATION
     7) DISCRETE SIMULATION
     8) ROUTING AND LAYOUT VERIFICATION
     9) PLACEMENT AND FLOORPLANNING
     10) BUILT-IN SELF-TEST AND DESIGN FOR TESTABILITY
     11) AUTOMATIC TEST PATTERN GENERATION AND GENERAL TEST
     12) FRAMEWORKS AND CAD SYSTEMS
     13) ISSUES IN SYSTEM DESIGN

     AUTHOR INFORMATION

     Authors should submit:
     1) 1 cover page including title of paper, the category  1-13  which
     most   closely  matches  the  papers  content,  complete  name  and
     addresses of each author, and identification of  the  corresponding
     author.
     2) 10 copies of a concise one-page abstract.    Include  the  title
     of  the  paper  along  with  the  abstract, but do not identify the
     authors.
     3) 10 copies of the complete paper not to exceed  20  double-spaced
     pages, figures, tables, and references included.

     NOTE: Papers will be  reviewed  anonymously.   Therefore  ONLY  the
     cover  page should identify authors and their affiliations!  Papers
     exceeding 20 pages  in  length  or  previously  published  will  be
     returned   to   the   authors.    This   includes  formal  workshop
     proceedings.

     FORMAT

     The ONE-PARAGRAPH ABSTRACT (10 copies), typed on the separate page,
     should  clearly  and  precisely state what is new and point out the
     significant results.  The full paper (10 copies) should be as close
     as  possible  to  the paper as you would expect to see it appear if
     published.   In  the  detailed   description,   the   author   must
     objectively  address  why  the proposed contribution is superior to
     prior work or what the significance  of  the  contribution  is,  if
     breaking  new  ground.   Demonstration of superiority in algorithms
     and strategies with heuristics is required through a description of
     the  programming implementation and application to "real" problems.
     Additional  mathematical  proofs  are  welcome.   The  contribution
     should  address  an  area  of current technical interest to the CAD
     professional.  A clear description of the new contribution,  status
     of the work and significant examples and appropriate results should
     be given.

     SINGLE COVER PAGE REQUIREMENTS

     Submissions should include, on the cover page:  the  title  of  the
     paper;  the  category  1-13, Which most clearly matches the paper's
     content (see Areas of Interest); the  full  name,  complete  return
     address, telephone number and affiliation of each author; and clear
     identification of the individual to whom all  communication  should
     be  addressed.  In giving your return address, please consider that
     the communications for paper acceptance and mailing of the author's
     kit occur in the months of June and July.

     AUTHOR'S SCHEDULE

     Deadline for submissions:    Postmarked April 12, 1992
     Notification of acceptance:  June 28, 1992
     Deadline for final version:  August 9, 1992

     SEND TO:  ICCAD-92 Publications Department
               MP Associates, Inc.
               7490 Clubhouse Rd., Suite 102
               Boulder, CO 80301
               Telephone: (303) 530-4562