BLACK SUNDAY: Lennon & Frodo down!

Post by (Darkstorm » Mon, 11 Sep 1995 04:00:00

I can`t believe they removed all C64 stuff... Do they seriously
believe that a C64 has a shadow of a chance today? I had time to
download some of the good stuff before they folded though... Armalyte,
Barbarian, Exploding Fist, etc... I was looking for a reliable piece
of software that would convert D64-files to T64-files though. Does
anyone know of any good converters? Right now, my only hope appears to
be the Warez-groups...

Post by Chuck Coche » Tue, 12 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>I can`t believe they removed all C64 stuff... Do they seriously
>believe that a C64 has a shadow of a chance today? I had time to
>download some of the good stuff before they folded though... Armalyte,
>Barbarian, Exploding Fist, etc... I was looking for a reliable piece
>of software that would convert D64-files to T64-files though. Does
>anyone know of any good converters? Right now, my only hope appears to
>be the Warez-groups...

I can convert most .d64 images to work off of tape.  If it's a basic
loader, then it's childs play to re-write the BASIC loader.
Unfortunately, the variable trick doesn't work with tape loads.  So,
instead, POKE the border instead, and peek it to check.  THat is quite
reliable in C64s.  Then, you just put the files on tape in the proper order.
TADA!!  Just change all ,8s to ,1s, and re-write the loader to use
POKEs.  If it instead uses dynamic keyboard (POKEing the keyboard
buffer), then it's even easier..  Just change the ,8 to a ,1.

If it's a single file program loadable with ,8, then just import it onto
tape.

The tricky part is the ML loaders.  For ML autoloaders, put a simple
basic program that has one line:

10 LOAD"FILENAME",1,1

Then put the files on the tape through the import command in order.

The loader may sense the active defvice, in which case it will work.
BUT, if not, then you need to hex-edit the loader.  Use the debug mode
and step through untill you see a ommand that loads a 08 into a
register.  I forget which one, but I think the command ia A0 hex.  In any
case, once you've found the location in memory that sets up the load, hex
edit to that offset, and change the 08 to a 01.  Viola!  You made it load
from tape!  Sometimes you need to do this more than once.  Often, if you
just search the file for a0 08 hex, and change the 08s to 01s, it'll work.

Sometimes, it's not so easy.  In that case, I try to design a basic
loader to load the files.  That doesn't always work though, because
smetimes the file is encrypted, and the ML loader decrypts as it reads.
If the basic loader fails, then you may have to resort to using a
"freeze" to capture to tape..

--

"We all need to get right, and forget the black and the white, and be
     keeping love in sight, like each and every day and night."

Post by Peter Schepe » Wed, 13 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>I can`t believe they removed all C64 stuff... Do they seriously
>believe that a C64 has a shadow of a chance today? I had time to
>download some of the good stuff before they folded though... Armalyte,
>Barbarian, Exploding Fist, etc... I was looking for a reliable piece
>of software that would convert D64-files to T64-files though. Does
>anyone know of any good converters? Right now, my only hope appears to
>be the Warez-groups...

I was about to upload a new version of 64COPY to Lennon, but now that it
is down, never mind.

However, it is available from my machine. Anonymous FTP to
RUSH.UWATERLOO.CA, under G:\UTILS, filename 64CPYxxx.ZIP, where xxx is
the latest version number. Do a DIR to find out what version I am up to.
Right now, the file is 64CPY205.ZIP.

Please read the CHANGES.TXT file to see what has been added/changed since
the 2.0b3 release. I have never stopped adding and fixing, so there is a
night/day comparison between the beta 3 and the present release.

If anybody is running the beta 3 version, I suggest you upgrade to that
one, since it doesn't handle T64's very well (several people have
reported this). I think you will like the changes since then anyways.

------------------------
Synopsis
--------
64COPY is a C64 emulator file converter program, written for the
emulation community as a tool to extract, copy, create and maintain
D64/T64/X64/LNX/#!(ZipCode)/P00 and BIN files that the various emulators use.

It allows conversion between the most popular formats (D64, T64, P00),
and converts from LNX and #! (ZipCoded) files. It also supports most
functions that Norton Commander does.

 Peter Schepers,                 |
 Dept. of Computing Services,    |   The opinions expressed in the above
 University of Waterloo,         |   rant are those of the poster, and not
 Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.      |   necessarily shared by anybody else on
 1-519-885-1211 ext 2456         |   this planet (or employer).

Post by Tre » Thu, 14 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>I can`t believe they removed all C64 stuff... Do they seriously
>believe that a C64 has a shadow of a chance today?

actually yes, they do !

Escom, who now have the rights to commodore, if press releases are to believed
are planning to market the C=64 in the, I guess, third world, countries or
something similar.

oh well!

!m?

--

[pauses for effect] [bows deeply] [waves] [smiles warmly] [exits stage left]

1. Lennon & Frodo

I have just found this newsgroup and I'm thrilled to find a commodore
support base on the internet.  I am new to all this, however, and I have
two questions.  If anyone would take time to answer them it would be
greatly appreciated.

One, I tried to access the Frodo ftp site but it is password protected.
How does one go about applying for an account at that site?

Two, I tried to access Lennon at
"http://www.engr.wisc.edu/~conover/lennon/c64/games/" but received the
following message: "Forbidden: Your client is not allowed to access the
requested object."  When I'm not at school I access the Internet through
AOL.  Does Lennon not accept AOL access?  I though I was unable to get
through to Lennon's ftp site because it was busy.  Could it be that it is
because AOL is also not accepted there?

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

2. VIDEO HELP, Starion 915

3. Lennon & Frodo: All C64 stuff deleted...

4. virtual template and virtual access for ADSL circuits

5. Lennon is down!? :~(

6. ok, I admit it, I'm stumped...

7. Lennon is down!

8. Sun ISDN specs?

9. Open letter to Lennon and Frodo. Why?

10. Frodo down?

11. iMac & Frodo

12. Frodo archive update & Statistics

13. 1. FRODO IS NOT DOWN - 2. FRODO IS STILL CARRYING GAMES