SIMULATION DIGEST V2 N9

Post by Moderator: Paul Fishwi » Wed, 02 May 1990 15:12:00

Volume: 2, Issue: 9, Fri May 27 10:12:49 EDT 1988

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) Debugging Distributed Simulations

Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida

Date: Wed, 25 May 88 15:21:23 PDT

Subject: Your comments in comp.simulation

>> But my heart goes out to someone trying to follow 10 threads of
>> logic WITH the possibility of rollback!

>This is a non-issue. Someone using TW does not see processes
>being rolled back and does not have to take rollback into
>consideration when writing the simulation program.

I was talking about debugging a dist. program, not writing one here.  We all
agree that writing a DP is easier than debugging one......

Quote:

>Going back to my first point, if we can provide programming
>abstractions that hide the underlying synchronisation mechanism,
>we should be able to provide debugging abstractions that hide
>the underlying synchronisation mechanism.

But do we know of any work being done in this area?

Quote:>One of the things necessary for debugging distributed
>simulations is "determinism".
>If you don't have determinism it is very difficult (almost
>impossible) to re-create some bugs and this can be very
>frustrating.

This is precisely the point that was being made by Jerry.  And my concern
is that the TW mechanism is less "deterministic" than BCM, because of the
possibility of rollback.

| END OF SIMULATION DIGEST |