Question for Typhoon Zee re: Spicer Emulator

Question for Typhoon Zee re: Spicer Emulator

Post by Marc Collin » Tue, 28 May 1996 04:00:00

Downloaded new version from your Web page...greatly improved sound
except that it is now only right channel on a stereo sound card!!  I
hope Dave fixes this soon because otherwise the sound is much better.

The new docs refer to Invaders and Pacman as games that will run under
the emulator.  The previous versions of the emulator were supplied with
batch files to run the 3 (4) initial programs assuming one could get a
hold of the ROMs.  Are there batch files for Pacman and Space Invaders
(I am not asking for the ROMs, btw)?

Also, a newbie question: is it possible to contact Dave Spicer directly
about these sorts of things or does he prefer we use this forum through
people like you??

Thanks for your help.  E-mail or post is fine.

P.S., Of course I am looking for the "U.S." version of Amidar (listed as
Amidarus), but everyone I have contacted to date says they are also
looking!  Could you tell me if it is in fact available somewhere if I
look long and hard enough??  (Any hints would be appreciated!)

Thanks again (for a great Web page too!)

Marc Collins

Scott Adams, creator of the comic strip "Dilbert," in his new business
book "The Dilbert Principle"--

"These days it seems like any idiot with a laptop computer can churn out
a business book and make a few bucks.  That's certainly what I'm
hoping."

Question for Typhoon Zee re: Spicer Emulator

Post by Dave Spice » Wed, 29 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Downloaded new version from your Web page...greatly improved sound
> except that it is now only right channel on a stereo sound card!!  I
> hope Dave fixes this soon because otherwise the sound is much better.

Fixed....

Take a look on ftp.demon.co.uk in /pub/ibmpc/dos/games/arcade/dasarc3.zip
for a new version.  It'll probably take Demon a day or two to put it on
the site, so be patient.

Quote:> The new docs refer to Invaders and Pacman as games that will run under
> the emulator.  The previous versions of the emulator were supplied with
> batch files to run the 3 (4) initial programs assuming one could get a
> hold of the ROMs.  Are there batch files for Pacman and Space Invaders
> (I am not asking for the ROMs, btw)?

Sigh!  No wonder I've had so many support queries.

A version with the Pacman/Invaders docs slip was only around for about
a day before it was pulled.  I put an announcement on RVGAC tagged
onto the original 'there's a new version' post to ask people not to
put the problem version on any web or ftp sites until it was replaced.

Quote:> Also, a newbie question: is it possible to contact Dave Spicer directly
> about these sorts of things or does he prefer we use this forum through
> people like you??

See the docs.... :)  Genuine problems I usually try to sort out, those
that are already covered in the docs tend to get ignored.

--
Dave

Post by Chris Coche » Wed, 29 May 1996 04:00:00

: Downloaded new version from your Web page...greatly improved sound
: except that it is now only right channel on a stereo sound card!!  I
: hope Dave fixes this soon because otherwise the sound is much better.

It's probably a simple fix..

: The new docs refer to Invaders and Pacman as games that will run under
: the emulator.  The previous versions of the emulator were supplied with
: batch files to run the 3 (4) initial programs assuming one could get a
: hold of the ROMs.  Are there batch files for Pacman and Space Invaders
: (I am not asking for the ROMs, btw)?

The docs lie.  I examined the exe, and support only exists in it for four
games.  Galaxians (g1),  frogger (g2), Amidar (g3), and US Amidar (g4).
The filenames for those files are also in the executable.  The space
invaders and pacman rom filenames are NOT present in the executable.

(examining the EXE in this case refers only to hex-viewing it, and NOT to
any sort of dissasembly)

That really did tick me off too, as I really wanted to play a home
version of pac-man where I could sit in the hiding plce.. :)

Chuck Cochems

Question for Typhoon Zee re: Spicer Emulator

Post by Dave Spice » Wed, 29 May 1996 04:00:00

> : Downloaded new version from your Web page...greatly improved sound
> : except that it is now only right channel on a stereo sound card!!  I
> : hope Dave fixes this soon because otherwise the sound is much better.

> It's probably a simple fix..

It was.  :)

Quote:> : The new docs refer to Invaders and Pacman as games that will run under
> : the emulator.  The previous versions of the emulator were supplied with
> : batch files to run the 3 (4) initial programs assuming one could get a
> : hold of the ROMs.  Are there batch files for Pacman and Space Invaders
> : (I am not asking for the ROMs, btw)?

> The docs lie.  I examined the exe, and support only exists in it for four
> games.  Galaxians (g1),  frogger (g2), Amidar (g3), and US Amidar (g4).
> The filenames for those files are also in the executable.  The space
> invaders and pacman rom filenames are NOT present in the executable.

Lie...?  LIE?????  :)  Never.

Invaders and Pacman were planned for that release but removed because I
was having second thoughts about producing any more freebie releases.  This
was brought on by a few problems here and there with the emulator being
distributed with roms attached, something that I definately don't want to
happen without the permission of the coin-op companies.

Anyway, the SI/Pacman slip in the docs was removed very quickly as I've
already mentioned in a previous post.  Typhoon Zee must've zipped in and
downloaded the 'duff' emulator before it was removed from ftp.demon.

Quote:> (examining the EXE in this case refers only to hex-viewing it, and NOT to
> any sort of dissasembly)

:-)

Quote:

> That really did tick me off too, as I really wanted to play a home
> version of pac-man where I could sit in the hiding plce.. :)

Weeeelll, I did finally release a version with Pacman and Space Invaders
(and Phoenix!)

It'll appear on ftp.demon.co.uk in /pub/ibmpc/dos/games/arcade within
the next day or two (I've uploaded it, but demon take a little while).

I'm quite pleased with Pacman - the colours haven't been set up correctly,
but other than that it's pretty good.

--
Dave

Post by Barry Leek-Bran » Fri, 31 May 1996 04:00:00

>Weeeelll, I did finally release a version with Pacman and Space Invaders
>(and Phoenix!)
>It'll appear on ftp.demon.co.uk in /pub/ibmpc/dos/games/arcade within
>the next day or two (I've uploaded it, but demon take a little while).
>I'm quite pleased with Pacman - the colours haven't been set up correctly,
>but other than that it's pretty good.
>--
>Dave

I tried the new version with the ROM images from procyon. Pheonix ran fine, but
space invaders and Pacman wouldn't. Strange thing is, if you copy the MsPacman
rom images from procyon to pacman equivalents, it then works on the emulator
(all beit with a little corruption on the Ms pacman character). You can even
tuck yourself away in that old hiding spot that was there in the original
Pacman.

Anyone know why the procyon images for Space Invaders and Pacman refuse to
work???

Bazza

Post by Bryan Wa » Fri, 31 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Weeeelll, I did finally release a version with Pacman and Space Invaders
>(and Phoenix!)

I think the free releases are great.  Especially for the whole
emulator scene in general.  This emulator stuff is about the best
hobby I have had in a long time.  I hope to have time some day to sit
down and write some kind of emulator myself.  I would probably
consider paying for it (your emulator) in a shareware kind of setup,
if ROM's were readily available  (especially if source were included
;)  A lot of the emulators of other systems out there already have
free source available.  I think this is a great teaching tool for me,
just to learn how to design emulators.......)

Quote:>It'll appear on ftp.demon.co.uk in /pub/ibmpc/dos/games/arcade within
>the next day or two (I've uploaded it, but demon take a little while).

Is there any other site you will be putting the files up on regularly?
Like you said, Demon is pretty slow about posting things......

Bryan Wall

Post by Chris Coche » Fri, 31 May 1996 04:00:00

: I tried the new version with the ROM images from procyon. Pheonix ran fine, but

WHERE DID YOU GET THE NEW VERSION?!?!?

(I don't see it on demon yet...)

Question for Typhoon Zee re: Spicer Emulator

Post by pcj.. » Fri, 31 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Anyone know why the procyon images for Space Invaders and Pacman refuse to
>work???

Because they are all screwed up.

The text file in the SI archive even says
one of the files is just a bunch of zeroes.

As for Pac Man, I found the same thing with the
MS Pac Roms. Obviously screwed up. Did you get to the
1st Intermission screen ?

Post by Adam C. Go » Sun, 02 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>The text file in the SI archive even says
>one of the files is just a bunch of zeroes.
>As for Pac Man, I found the same thing with the
>MS Pac Roms. Obviously screwed up. Did you get to the
>1st Intermission screen ?

I got to the first intermission (using the Ms. Pac roms) and it works
- the graphics are screwy but it works.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Looking for:  Coleco/MSX/Gameboy game snapshots, live &
  rare music bootlegs (mostly 'alternative'), Batman toys,
  comic books and other stuff.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Question for Typhoon Zee re: Spicer Emulator

Post by Typhoon Z » Sun, 02 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Anyway, the SI/Pacman slip in the docs was removed very quickly as I've
>already mentioned in a previous post.  Typhoon Zee must've zipped in and
>downloaded the 'duff' emulator before it was removed from ftp.demon.

Yup...  I never got a chance to try it, but the 3rd version of your
Arcade emulator came out promptly, so its been replaced =)

Quote:

>--
>Dave

.Typhoon Z.
`www.applink.net/~antioch

Question for Typhoon Zee re: Spicer Emulator

Post by Typhoon Z » Sun, 02 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>>Weeeelll, I did finally release a version with Pacman and Space Invaders
>>(and Phoenix!)

>>It'll appear on ftp.demon.co.uk in /pub/ibmpc/dos/games/arcade within
>>the next day or two (I've uploaded it, but demon take a little while).

>>I'm quite pleased with Pacman - the colours haven't been set up correctly,
>>but other than that it's pretty good.

>>--
>>Dave

>I tried the new version with the ROM images from procyon. Pheonix ran fine, but
>space invaders and Pacman wouldn't. Strange thing is, if you copy the MsPacman
>rom images from procyon to pacman equivalents, it then works on the emulator
>(all beit with a little corruption on the Ms pacman character). You can even
>tuck yourself away in that old hiding spot that was there in the original
>Pacman.

>Anyone know why the procyon images for Space Invaders and Pacman refuse to
>work???

>Bazza

I had the same problems!  I fixed Pacman the same way, and Space
Invaders still wont work!  Heh... I'd like to know what this 'hiding
place' on PacMan is....
.Typhoon Z.
`www.applink.net/~antioch

Post by Adam C. Go » Wed, 05 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>I had the same problems!  I fixed Pacman the same way, and Space
>Invaders still wont work!  Heh... I'd like to know what this 'hiding
>place' on PacMan is....

There are working roms available now.

As for the hiding place.  Immediately up and slightly to the left of
your starting location - they can't follow you in from the bottom and
if you go in there when none of the ghosts are 'looking at you' they
will never be able to find you.  You can sit there for the rest of
time and nothing will happen.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Post by Typhoon Z » Thu, 06 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>>I had the same problems!  I fixed Pacman the same way, and Space
>>Invaders still wont work!  Heh... I'd like to know what this 'hiding
>>place' on PacMan is....

>There are working roms available now.

>As for the hiding place.  Immediately up and slightly to the left of
>your starting location - they can't follow you in from the bottom and
>if you go in there when none of the ghosts are 'looking at you' they
>will never be able to find you.  You can sit there for the rest of
>time and nothing will happen.

Whoah really?  Awesome!  Speaking of Pacman ROMs, I did receive all
the working ROMs to David's Emulator, and I love em greatly!  I was
wondering if anyone knows if there is a rom similar to the fastchip
that also speeds up the ghosts?  I can't stand the game unless its
playing on turbo =)
.Typhoon Z............................
`aRCHAiC rUiNS is a thing of the past'

Post by Chicken Ninja of Desi » Sun, 09 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>>>I had the same problems!  I fixed Pacman the same way, and Space
>>>Invaders still wont work!  Heh... I'd like to know what this 'hiding
>>>place' on PacMan is....

>>There are working roms available now.

>>As for the hiding place.  Immediately up and slightly to the left of
>>your starting location - they can't follow you in from the bottom and
>>if you go in there when none of the ghosts are 'looking at you' they
>>will never be able to find you.  You can sit there for the rest of
>>time and nothing will happen.
>Whoah really?  Awesome!  Speaking of Pacman ROMs, I did receive all
>the working ROMs to David's Emulator, and I love em greatly!  I was
>wondering if anyone knows if there is a rom similar to the fastchip
>that also speeds up the ghosts?  I can't stand the game unless its
>playing on turbo =)
>.Typhoon Z............................
>`aRCHAiC rUiNS is a thing of the past'

Not to be bothering you, Mr. Zee <g>, but I'm having a problem with
the Spicer Emulator. It says my Command.com interpreter is like
"wrong" wor something and does not allow me to run it. I am runnin
Win95, and was wondering if the emulator was native to only the DOS
6.22 or so command.com...

Post by Typhoon » Tue, 11 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>>>There are working roms available now.

>>>As for the hiding place.  Immediately up and slightly to the left of
>>>your starting location - they can't follow you in from the bottom and
>>>if you go in there when none of the ghosts are 'looking at you' they
>>>will never be able to find you.  You can sit there for the rest of
>>>time and nothing will happen.
>>Whoah really?  Awesome!  Speaking of Pacman ROMs, I did receive all
>>the working ROMs to David's Emulator, and I love em greatly!  I was
>>wondering if anyone knows if there is a rom similar to the fastchip
>>that also speeds up the ghosts?  I can't stand the game unless its
>>playing on turbo =)
>>.Typhoon Z............................
>>`aRCHAiC rUiNS is a thing of the past'
>Not to be bothering you, Mr. Zee <g>, but I'm having a problem with
>the Spicer Emulator. It says my Command.com interpreter is like
>"wrong" wor something and does not allow me to run it. I am runnin
>Win95, and was wondering if the emulator was native to only the DOS
>6.22 or so command.com...

Try running it under STRAIGHT MS-DOS with EMS enabled.  Remember,
David Spicer wrote the emulator, he is a better source than me on this
subject.
.Typhoon Z............................
`aRCHAiC rUiNS is a thing of the past'

1. Arcade Emulator (Typhoon Zee please read again!)

Another message to Typhoon Zee (geeez, get an email address).

When your web page comes back up, please don't put my Arcade
Emulator on it in any form.  It's been withdrawn from the
public domain and should no longer be made available.

...and everyone else: please DON'T jump on Mr Zee's case
about this, because it's not his fault.  Oh no, it's far
worse this time as some folks have been selling the emulator
as "shareware" complete with rom code.

Future updates will now have to go out under some kind of
registration scheme (hi Maret :).  I'll make suitable
announcements when a revamped version is good 'n' ready.

--
Dave

2. Architect Extra Bold?

3. Dave's Arcade Emulator (Typhoon Zee please read)

4. Verizon clueless, DSL down for days, no ETR

5. Typhoon Zee's attitude problem

6. Sec Set = Select Allowed but can't select...

7. Spicer's Arcade Emulator: problems/questions

8. Performance Issues

9. Question for Dave Spicer

10. Dave Spicer's Reply To My Question On R.G.V.A.C

11. ATTN: TYPHOON ZEE!!!!! HELP! Copying Cartridges!

12. REQ: Typhoon Thomson (Amiga)

13. got spicer emulator working