Why is Galaxian sound in MAME still inferior to Dave Spicers ?

Why is Galaxian sound in MAME still inferior to Dave Spicers ?

Post by Filiep Geeraer » Tue, 14 Apr 1998 04:00:00



What I don't understand is that after so many revisions Galaxian sound
in SPARCADE is still a lot better (background sound, and so on) than in
MAME.
Have the authors of MAME tried to contact Dave Spicer to get his
cooperation so that the sound in MAME 's Galaxian could be at SPARCADE
's level ?
Just wanted to know why I still need those two emulators, where I could
easily do with one if it weren't for Galaxian.

 
 
 

Why is Galaxian sound in MAME still inferior to Dave Spicers ?

Post by Robert » Wed, 15 Apr 1998 04:00:00


I almost feel guilty for agreeing with you, but I do.  We could
actually get "rid" of Spicer's emulator if the MAME versions were as
good.  (No offense Dave)

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998 19:00:52 +0200, Filiep Geeraert


>What I don't understand is that after so many revisions Galaxian sound
>in SPARCADE is still a lot better (background sound, and so on) than in
>MAME.
>Have the authors of MAME tried to contact Dave Spicer to get his
>cooperation so that the sound in MAME 's Galaxian could be at SPARCADE
>'s level ?
>Just wanted to know why I still need those two emulators, where I could
>easily do with one if it weren't for Galaxian.

Remove the 'nospam' from my email address to reply

 
 
 

Why is Galaxian sound in MAME still inferior to Dave Spicers ?

Post by Simon Junca » Wed, 15 Apr 1998 04:00:00



> I almost feel guilty for agreeing with you, but I do.  We could
> actually get "rid" of Spicer's emulator if the MAME versions were as
> good.  (No offense Dave)

> On Mon, 13 Apr 1998 19:00:52 +0200, Filiep Geeraert

> >What I don't understand is that after so many revisions Galaxian sound
> >in SPARCADE is still a lot better (background sound, and so on) than in
> >MAME.
> >Have the authors of MAME tried to contact Dave Spicer to get his
> >cooperation so that the sound in MAME 's Galaxian could be at SPARCADE
> >'s level ?
> >Just wanted to know why I still need those two emulators, where I could
> >easily do with one if it weren't for Galaxian.

> Remove the 'nospam' from my email address to reply

Frankly I'll take an EMU that does a few games well over one
that does most games.... not as well.

What's up with some of you people who just HAVE to have a
(possibly) marginal Mame version even when there's a better EMU
of the game already? I mean lets NOT get "rid" of Spicer's
excellent EMU. We should be applauding ANY EMU coder who's
concentrating on getting games to run *BETTER* not trying to get
more to run.

The Mame team has their 'authentic emulation' thing going, that's
fine - but there's plenty of room for the 'playability emulation'.

--
 ______________________________________________

( Aka Alhazred                                (
 ) http://capitals.washington.dc.us/           )
( http://members.tripod.com/~sjuncal/shooter/ (
 )_____________________________________________)
Help fight spam check out http://www.cauce.org

 
 
 

Why is Galaxian sound in MAME still inferior to Dave Spicers ?

Post by Filiep Geeraer » Wed, 15 Apr 1998 04:00:00


I 'm not saying : get rid of SPARCADE, I just know that most of the
emulators contained in MAME started off as stand alone emulators, and
then the authors cooperated with the MAME team, and the games were
included in MAME (Ladybug, Donkey Kong, Galaga, ...).
The MAME emulations of these games now all seem to be up to the same
quality level or better than those separate emulators.
Galaxian is one of the few exceptions to this.
Besides, if you want to return to the days when you needed a separate
emulator for each game, go ahead.
I 'm quite sure most people only use those emulators if they offer
something substantially better, otherwise they use MAME.



> > I almost feel guilty for agreeing with you, but I do.  We could
> > actually get "rid" of Spicer's emulator if the MAME versions were as
> > good.  (No offense Dave)

> > On Mon, 13 Apr 1998 19:00:52 +0200, Filiep Geeraert

> > >What I don't understand is that after so many revisions Galaxian sound
> > >in SPARCADE is still a lot better (background sound, and so on) than in
> > >MAME.
> > >Have the authors of MAME tried to contact Dave Spicer to get his
> > >cooperation so that the sound in MAME 's Galaxian could be at SPARCADE
> > >'s level ?
> > >Just wanted to know why I still need those two emulators, where I could
> > >easily do with one if it weren't for Galaxian.

> > Remove the 'nospam' from my email address to reply

> Frankly I'll take an EMU that does a few games well over one
> that does most games.... not as well.

> What's up with some of you people who just HAVE to have a
> (possibly) marginal Mame version even when there's a better EMU
> of the game already? I mean lets NOT get "rid" of Spicer's
> excellent EMU. We should be applauding ANY EMU coder who's
> concentrating on getting games to run *BETTER* not trying to get
> more to run.

> The Mame team has their 'authentic emulation' thing going, that's
> fine - but there's plenty of room for the 'playability emulation'.

> --
>  ______________________________________________

> ( Aka Alhazred                                (
>  ) http://capitals.washington.dc.us/           )
> ( http://members.tripod.com/~sjuncal/shooter/ (
>  )_____________________________________________)
> Help fight spam check out http://www.cauce.org

 
 
 

Why is Galaxian sound in MAME still inferior to Dave Spicers ?

Post by Michael Haye » Wed, 15 Apr 1998 04:00:00



> I almost feel guilty for agreeing with you, but I do.  We could
> actually get "rid" of Spicer's emulator if the MAME versions were as
> good.  (No offense Dave)

    Galaxian isn't the only reason to keep Sparcade.  The emulation of Nemesis,
Salamander, Vulcan Vulture, and Wardner is not available on MAME at this time,
plus those of us who are blessed with a 486 have no other choice if we want to
play Tron at full speed (KEM runs at almost full speed with no frameskip, but
there is slight graphic corruption.).  Even Pac-Man doesn't run at full speed
in MAME anymore -- it used to, but nowadays I'm lucky to get 70% speed in any
MAME game, besides Green Beret / Rush N' Attack, which run at only 30FPS.

___________________________________________________________

- The Digital Conservatory         | "You win, big deal..."
- The Digital Laboratory           |_______________________
- The Intellivision Library        | END OF LINE

 
 
 

Why is Galaxian sound in MAME still inferior to Dave Spicers ?

Post by Keatah » Wed, 15 Apr 1998 04:00:00


..because it would seem he is the better programmer??
--
Remove the extra "h" if you wish to reply.

 
 
 

1. Why can' t I reach Dave Spicers' SParcade page ?

I 've been trying this on several days, and I always get an error 404
This is the link Dave put on his homepage :

http://www.hubcap.demon.co.uk/sparcade.htm

Is something wrong with this URL ?
Is it a restricted area ?

This is the EXACT error I got :

404 Not Found

URL '/sparcade.htm' cannot be found.

Please refer to http://www.homepages.demon.co.uk/errors/404.html for a
list of possible reasons for this error.

thttpd/1.00.dis++

2. FS Psion 3A

3. Mspacman roms work on Dave Spicer?

4. Systech cable needed...

5. Anymore Roms for DAVE Spicers Arcade Emulation

6. Distributed Files System permission help

7. Dave Spicer - Help please!

8. FP and search abilities

9. Question for Dave Spicer

10. To Dave Spicer:

11. Why no sound in MAME run NeoGeo games?

12. Dave Spicer

13. Whatever happened to Dave Spicer?