unable to delete file with quote mark in name

unable to delete file with quote mark in name

Post by Andy Yet » Sat, 21 Feb 1998 04:00:00



Help,
Don't know how it happened, but a user managed to create a file on our
netware 3.12 server that has an illegal filename. The filename is two
characters: A" (that's a capital letter A followed by a quote mark). If I
try to delete the file or the directory that contains it, I get an invalid
access error (or something like that). I have tried deleting it from dosIs
there a utility capable of deleting this headache? It makes backups fail
because they generate an error every time I touch that file.

TIA!


-Andy

 
 
 

unable to delete file with quote mark in name

Post by Michael Sal » Sat, 21 Feb 1998 04:00:00



> managed to create a file on our
> netware 3.12 server that has an illegal filename. The filename is two
> characters: A" (that's a capital letter A followed by a quote mark).

There are various DOS utilities that will do this, but first try
DIR A?

which will display all files with 2-character names starting with A.
If the only one is A", then do
DEL A?

which, I think, should work.

Have you tried FILER? I don't know if it will handle this.

Best wishes,
--
Michael Salem (email: use "Reply" command, or mgs at michaels.demon.co.uk)
RFC 1855: Quote less than you contribute; keep sig down to 4 lines

 
 
 

unable to delete file with quote mark in name

Post by John Eato » Tue, 24 Feb 1998 04:00:00


Hi Andy

Make sure that there are no other files

if there is then move then somewhere, your next step is:-
Ren A*.*  t.*
this will then rename the file to T.whatever the extention was

hope it works
John Eaton




> > managed to create a file on our
> > netware 3.12 server that has an illegal filename. The filename is two
> > characters: A" (that's a capital letter A followed by a quote mark).

> There are various DOS utilities that will do this, but first try
> DIR A?

> which will display all files with 2-character names starting with A.
> If the only one is A", then do
> DEL A?

> which, I think, should work.

> Have you tried FILER? I don't know if it will handle this.

> Best wishes,
> --
> Michael Salem (email: use "Reply" command, or mgs at

michaels.demon.co.uk)

- Show quoted text -

Quote:> RFC 1855: Quote less than you contribute; keep sig down to 4 lines

 
 
 

unable to delete file with quote mark in name

Post by Kevin D. Snodgras » Tue, 24 Feb 1998 04:00:00





> >Subject: unable to delete file with quote mark in name
> >Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 09:46:55 -0500

> >Help,
> >Don't know how it happened, but a user managed to create a file on our
> >netware 3.12 server that has an illegal filename. The filename is two
> >characters: A" (that's a capital letter A followed by a quote mark). If I
> >try to delete the file or the directory that contains it, I get an invalid
> >access error (or something like that). I have tried deleting it from dosIs
> >there a utility capable of deleting this headache? It makes backups fail
> >because they generate an error every time I touch that file.

> Rename it with a DOS utility such as DR or DF.

> John

Better yet, try:
  DEL A?
The ? matches all single characters.

--
Kevin D. Snodgrass

 
 
 

unable to delete file with quote mark in name

Post by Baird, Jo » Wed, 25 Feb 1998 04:00:00




>Subject: unable to delete file with quote mark in name
>Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 09:46:55 -0500
>Help,
>Don't know how it happened, but a user managed to create a file on our
>netware 3.12 server that has an illegal filename. The filename is two
>characters: A" (that's a capital letter A followed by a quote mark). If I
>try to delete the file or the directory that contains it, I get an invalid
>access error (or something like that). I have tried deleting it from dosIs
>there a utility capable of deleting this headache? It makes backups fail
>because they generate an error every time I touch that file.

Rename it with a DOS utility such as DR or DF.

John

 
 
 

1. Unable to delete file

Hi,

I have a file on my  network's hard drive which I am unable to delete, copy,
move, etc.
I can't seem to remember how to get rid of the file. It's an unimportant jpg
file.  I can't find the right place in Win95 Help to assist me.

When I right click the offending file, to look at its properties, it has no
dates associated with it.  Win95 gives me a File system error (1026 I think)
when trying to delete, move or copy it.

I am using Novell netware 4.11 server, and PC's running Win95

Thanks for your help

Joel Aiken

2. Walkthrough

3. HELP!! Unable to delete 4Gb file

4. ASPI Upgrade?

5. Unable to delete or copy exe & com files

6. NT and unix?

7. (Un)Intelligent quote marks in OE5

8. Even More 5ESS Woes

9. Files restoring if DELETED.SAV deleted ???

10. Invalid deleted file name space

11. 971021 - Deleting a file Deletes the DRIVE!

12. db-XXvsaWpx files instead of my /etc/named.conf name for forward files (i.e., forward)

13. Attempt to delete a file reports back that file can't be found!