Windows 95 Llockup Problems

Post by Ji » Sat, 10 May 1997 04:00:00

I have just installed a Netware 4.11 server with 75 windows 95
clients. Most of the Windows 95 workstations freeze or operate very
slow. Any ideas what may cause a windows 95 machine to just freeze up
on a Netware 4.11 network?  All machines were fine before being
networked, now about 25 freeze on a regular baisis and need to be
rebooted. All clients have 32 M of RAM and Pentium120's or better. I'm
using the Netware 32 bit client from Novell.
Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks,

Jim Morrill

1. Windows 95 -> 1603 -> 3640 -> Windows 95 configuration

Dear Experts,

We have an application which uses TCP/IP. Although it's not really a
client-server application, the equivalent of our "clients" (Windows 95
machines)
run at both the remote and central sites whilst the "servers" (which is
are DOS
machines running a TCP/IP stack) are at the remote sites. The central
3640 router
needs to dial the remotes if backup lines are required, not the other
way around.
This is the way that it needs to work for financial reasons (ISDN
billing). For info, the remote sites have 1603 routers running just the
basic IP feature set but we have IPX feature packs available for them if
necessary but it's easier to leave them alone than to update them if we
don't have to.

The TCP/IP side of things is absolutely fine. We have Kilostream routes
to the
remote sites with ISDN as "proper" backup links (backup interface dialer
X with
the ISDN BRI's all in one pool and each dialer interface pointing at a
different remote site). Kilostream TCP/IP and backup TCP/IP work fine
(Enhanced
IGRP pretty much takes care of all that).

In order to make our software updates easier, we would like to have
visilbility of
our Windows 95 machines at each site from the central site. Although we
can use
FTP clients/servers to pass files we would rather use standard Windows
95
networking (IPX, Netbeui, whatever) and share out the drives/directories
for
each site using Windows 95 file sharing. (It doesn't seem to work over
TCP/IP -
should it?)

I am using bridging over the serial links to successfully provide this
setup BUT
if I either force the kilostream to fail (or if it fails of it's own
accord) the
ISDN backup links don't seem to carry the same information. We need the
ISDN
lines to carry everything that the serial links do and stay connected
permanently until the Kilostream comes good. However, on ISDN backup the
Windows 95 machines disappear from the Network Neighborhood and cannot
be seen
using the normal Windows file sharing connectivity.

Everything I've tried to make this work over the ISDN links has failed.
Has
anyone got any ideas? Am I going about it the wrong way? Should I be
using
another protocol completely (IPX for example) along with our TCP/IP?

I decided not to post the configuration files straight away in case
someone says
"Oh, its obvious, you probably aren't doing X-Y-Z" but I can provide the
files if it will help. And any help will be VERY gratefully received.
I've been scouring the (next to useless) manuals, online help, Cisco's
web site and DejaNews for clues about this, all with no luck so far.

Best wishes,

Rob Darke

2. FS: Action Replay (game cheat/hack hardware)

3. Windows 95 Novell client X Inoculan for Windows 95 1.0

4. LDAP

5. Windows 95 & 98 Networking Problems with Windows XP

6. Disagree

7. Windows ME to Windows 95 Network Problem

8. US-MD-Silver Spring - Delphi + TeX Application Programmer (long)

9. Problems with NE2000 compatible cards and Windows 95/Windows 98

10. Upgrading Windows 3.1 to Windows 95, server from NetWare 3.11 to Windows NT?

11. Announce: Release of Tri Action Syslog Daemon for Windows 95 and Windows NT started

12. Windows 95 and NT RAS clients connecting to 2511 config problems.