Netware 4.10 to 4.11 upgrade

Post by avenge » Fri, 07 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Sorry, I've been out of it for awhile.

I've got a Netware 4.10 server. I'm thinking about upgrading to Netware 4.11.
What, if any, gotcha's are involved? I plan on continuing to use IPX for
at least awhile, but may migrate to IP later. I will enable IP immediately,
however, in order to use the Web server.

I'm using an OS/2 client and running NWAdmin in a Win-OS/2 session.
Will this continue to work with IntraNetware? Please tell me I don't
need Windows 95 in order to run my net...

E-mail replies would be greatly appreciated, as I don't hit this group
as often as I should. Thanks in advance.

Steve Kellmeyer
Network Analyst, Turner SSB

"It is a very great poverty that a child must die so you
may live as you wish."          - Mother Theresa

Netware 4.10 to 4.11 upgrade

Post by David Gers » Sat, 08 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>Sorry, I've been out of it for awhile.

>I've got a Netware 4.10 server. I'm thinking about upgrading to Netware 4.11.
>What, if any, gotcha's are involved?

The only one we've found is that Mac files may get damaged somehow. Exactly
how they get damaged is not apparant, but some applications stopped running
after the upgrade and had to be restored from tape.

Quote:>I'm using an OS/2 client and running NWAdmin in a Win-OS/2 session.
>Will this continue to work with IntraNetware? Please tell me I don't
>need Windows 95 in order to run my net...

Nope. Works fine.

    The packet goes out the card, into the copper, out the router,
    onto the fiber, across the world, thru the copper............
    NOTHING BUT NET.

Systems Programmer                          Northern Illinois University

I'm tired of receiving *in my mailbox, so the E-mail address has been
munged to foil the junkmail bots. Humans will figure it out on their own.

Netware 4.10 to 4.11 upgrade

Post by gamb.. » Sun, 09 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>I've got a Netware 4.10 server. I'm thinking about upgrading to Netware 4.11.
>What, if any, gotcha's are involved? I plan on continuing to use IPX for
>at least awhile, but may migrate to IP later. I will enable IP immediately,
>however, in order to use the Web server.

>I'm using an OS/2 client and running NWAdmin in a Win-OS/2 session.
>Will this continue to work with IntraNetware? Please tell me I don't
>need Windows 95 in order to run my net...

>E-mail replies would be greatly appreciated, as I don't hit this group
>as often as I should. Thanks in advance.

I have upgrade from 4.1 to 4.11i without any problem. I also use OS/2
with the latest Netware Requester for OS/2 V2.12 and it works great.

There is one little bug for me tough: the new NWADMIN3X does not work
yet in a WinOS2 session (config problem ?) so I have to use NWADMIN
which does the job perfectly well anyway.

I have also installed the IPX/IP Gateway and the Novell Web Server on my
network and there is no need to migrate to IP.

As for Windows 95 well, not only you don't need it, you certainly don't
need the bugs in it.

As a Netware network administrator and OS/2 user, I sure would like to
exchange tips and solutions with you.

Pat Gambaro.

Netware 4.10 to 4.11 upgrade

Post by George A. Raetz » Tue, 18 Mar 1997 04:00:00

:>
:>
:>>I've got a Netware 4.10 server. I'm thinking about upgrading to Netware 4.11.
:>>What, if any, gotcha's are involved? I plan on continuing to use IPX for
:>>at least awhile, but may migrate to IP later. I will enable IP immediately,
:>>however, in order to use the Web server.
:>>
:>>I'm using an OS/2 client and running NWAdmin in a Win-OS/2 session.
:>>Will this continue to work with IntraNetware? Please tell me I don't
:>>need Windows 95 in order to run my net...
:>>
:>>E-mail replies would be greatly appreciated, as I don't hit this group
:>>as often as I should. Thanks in advance.
:>>

Be careful if you have any volumes that have mac name space on them.  A
few of our servers corrupted several of the macintosh file when they were
upgraded from 4.1 to 4.11.  A talk with Novell tech, informed me that the
name space files are upgraded when you install 4.11 (unless you have installed
the nam41a patch kit, which of course you are suppose to wipe out the volume
to install.), and this upgrade process works "most" of the time, but now
always.

I tried everything that Novell tech suggested, and all of my own ideas, and
was
unable to fix the files.  So I had to go to tape...

NWAdmin does continue to work fine under win-os/2.  I have heard people say
that they are having problems running the nwadmin3x under win-os/2 but it

Netware 4.10 to 4.11 upgrade

Post by Hansang B » Wed, 19 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Be careful if you have any volumes that have mac name space on them.  A
>few of our servers corrupted several of the macintosh file when they were
>upgraded from 4.1 to 4.11.  A talk with Novell tech, informed me that the

Directory sturcture is different.... as it says in the docs.  If you
want the nitty gritty, use dejanews to searc the bit.listserv.novell
(it's a mailing list gated ot News).  Joe Doupnik talked about this in
detail.

Hansang Bae             Director of Network Operations, Eastern Region
Richey Systems          Main Office: (800) 776-5145   Ext 521

Specializing in Network Design/Troubleshooting and Protocol Analysis

Netware 4.10 to 4.11 upgrade

Post by David Gers » Thu, 20 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>>Be careful if you have any volumes that have mac name space on them.  A
>>few of our servers corrupted several of the macintosh file when they were
>>upgraded from 4.1 to 4.11.  A talk with Novell tech, informed me that the

>Directory sturcture is different.... as it says in the docs.  If you
>want the nitty gritty, use dejanews to searc the bit.listserv.novell
>(it's a mailing list gated ot News).  Joe Doupnik talked about this in
>detail.

This wasn't just a name-space problem, as far as we could tell (George is
one 'cube' over from me at work...), but that the files were actually
damaged. "GetInfo" would return that they were 0 bytes long (ndir
disagreed), and trying to execute them would yield an error message that
the Finder didn't have enough free memory to start the program.