Novell 4.1 and Macs. Printing zones disappear?!?!?

Novell 4.1 and Macs. Printing zones disappear?!?!?

Post by Richard Han » Tue, 09 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Anyone please help me!  I am runing a 4.1 shop with IBM and Mac.
Some of my Mac users during the day loose all ability to print, but still
maintain connectivity to the server (They can't see any of the printing
queues through "Chooser").  If all my Mac users lost printing capabilities
that is one thing, but only about half loose it and they are all on the
same zone.  There is only one zone on the LAN.  They are using SNAP_II
and I do have ATPSCON loaded and running.  Any suggestions???

Thanks,
  Rich

Post by zookg.tech.net.o.. » Fri, 12 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>Subject: Novell 4.1 and Macs.  Printing zones disappear?!?!?
>Date: 8 Apr 1996 22:18:27 GMT
>Anyone please help me!  I am runing a 4.1 shop with IBM and Mac.
>Some of my Mac users during the day loose all ability to print, but still
>maintain connectivity to the server (They can't see any of the printing
>queues through "Chooser").  If all my Mac users lost printing capabilities
>that is one thing, but only about half loose it and they are all on the
>same zone.  There is only one zone on the LAN.  They are using SNAP_II
>and I do have ATPSCON loaded and running.  Any suggestions???
>Thanks,
>  Rich

I have a similar problem.  Our printers are switching zones to one particular
zone.  We thought we were the only ones.  We have lots of Macs/printers and
many zones.  They all seem to end up in our Ethertalk Phase 2 zone.  This has
caused huge problems for us.  We thought this was related to
infrastructure/physical layer issues.  I think the issue is the same as yours.

If anyone has any thoughts, please post or e-mail me.

THANKS!
Greg Zook

Novell 4.1 and Macs. Printing zones disappear?!?!?

Post by David Thomas and Monica Schm » Sat, 13 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Make sure you only have one seeding appletalk router on yournetwork.

That means, when you load APPLETLK NLM on your server and you have the
net=xxxxx-xxxxx zone={zone1} you can only have one server on one cable
segment with this information.. so if you have two 4.1 servers on one
cable segment, and want both to use the same zone, the second server must
have net=0-0 zone={zone1} or you will get this conflict.. i could be a
little mistaken as it was 3 years ago that I had this prob.. and what we
did was make all servers display net=0-0 zone={zone1} and had the cisco
big daddy router that sat in the middle of the network, advertise the
zone numbers for that appletalk zone... that fixed all problems...

hope this helps...  mail me if you have probs..

David

Post by Andy » Wed, 17 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>Anyone please help me!  I am runing a 4.1 shop with IBM and Mac.
>Some of my Mac users during the day loose all ability to print, but still
>maintain connectivity to the server (They can't see any of the printing
>queues through "Chooser").  If all my Mac users lost printing capabilities
>that is one thing, but only about half loose it and they are all on the
>same zone.  There is only one zone on the LAN.  They are using SNAP_II
>and I do have ATPSCON loaded and running.  Any suggestions???

I have a simillar problem sometime ago, until I found Netware Client
For Macintosh OS 5.1 which is available for download at netwire.

Now you can uninstall Netware For Mac and then you can have the mac
connect via IPX and use all the netware resourses. It works like a
charm and take up less server resourses.

Hope this help.

--

H:9842049 O:2484757
Seek and you shall find, ask and it will be given

1. HELP: NOVELL 4.1 / MacIntosh/ Disapearing ZONES

Hi I have a Novell 4.1 with 2 NICs attached to 2 mac networks.
I have both NICs bound to appletalk with two different network ranges.
The Zone that the server "NOVELL" broadcasts in the chosser is very
stable, but the other ZONE keeps losing the zone in the chooser.
In other words, the MACs in the zone where NOVELL is on, always "sees"
multiple ZONES. But the MACs that are on the other network, SOMETIMES
shows only one zone (and NOVELL is not there, of course).
Both NICs are bound to be "seed" an I am not using the internal net
number.
Any suggestions?... Please mail them to:

Thanks in Advance,

Dante

2. DMAs on Pentium architecture

3. Print manager and Novell 4.1

4. can't view pages in browser since moving pages into folders

5. MAC printing on 4.1

6. Why is console I/O so slow

7. Restoring print objects to Novell 4.1 NDS tree

8. Mouse question

9. Printing from Silicon grapics Indego2 to Novell 4.1

10. AppleTalk printing over Novell 4.1

11. Print trouble - Novell 4.1 Client32 and Win95

12. HP 5MP on Novell 4.1 for PC & Mac

13. Novell 4.1 & Mac -- Help