newbie:NT roaming profiles

Post by Hank » Sun, 25 Nov 2001 20:53:22

I am a netware rookie so please bare with.

What I need to do is get the NT machines to retreive and update the profiles
while they are being stored on a netware server. I do not have an NT server
only netware 5.1. I set up a local profile first for Administrator and a
standard user account, then create a PROFILES dir under USER volume on NW
server and make [ROOT] the trustee as well as admin, I am not sure which it
needs to be. I tell the NT w/s where the profile is stored and it attempts
to retrieve it but then times out and fails. But if there is a local profile
ie:Administrator then it uses the roaming profile, almost, it doesn't do
things like the background image and some certain other settings.But thats
no biggie.

So basically it looks to the correct location, I know that because I can
login on the other clean w/s as admin and get all the desktop content that's
stored on the NW server but no background. But if no profile has been
created locally and copied to the \\NWSERV\USER\PROFILES\ directory
ie:default user, then it doesn't allow the login. If a local profile of the
same name exists then the login is allowed but uses the local settings. And
now that I think about this what I have written here is actually a
contradiction but none the less is what has been happening. I am sure it can
be but I don't exactly know how. I want to keep samba out of it. I figure
that as an absolute last resort, samba could be set up as a PDC and then
trick the clients into beleiving they are logging into an nt domain where
the profiles would be stored and retrieved, but the problem here is that the
ony linux box here is the gateway and I feel that to run samba on it as well
will create a security issue. Like I said this would be the last option.

Any ideas at all no matter how vague, would be appreciated. This has got me
absolutly confused.

Thanks all.

newbie:NT roaming profiles

Post by Sami Kapane » Sun, 02 Dec 2001 04:28:43

> What I need to do is get the NT machines to retreive and update the profiles
> while they are being stored on a netware server. I do not have an NT server
> only netware 5.1. I set up a local profile first for Administrator and a

Ok. You need to set up Zenworks. Zenworks2 StarterPack is free.
Install it to server, create NT User Policies and enable roaming
profiles.

Quote:> standard user account, then create a PROFILES dir under USER volume on NW
> server and make [ROOT] the trustee as well as admin, I am not sure which it

In User Profiles you can tell the profile directory or check the option
to store profiles in homedirectory which is the normal way in Netware.

And install client32 to workstations.

-sk

newbie:NT roaming profiles

Post by Hank » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 19:02:14

OK thanks Sami. About the only thing I have not yet done was to create the
NT profiles. Perhaps that was the problem the whole time.

Also how can I tell or change which login client is being used. I used the
client that came with Zen 2. I have installed to the server. I do have
several versions of login client in c:\winnt\system32. There is loginw32.exe
and loginwnt.exe. Is it on the server cd or maybe the ZW2 cd?

Thanks again.

> > What I need to do is get the NT machines to retreive and update the
profiles
> > while they are being stored on a netware server. I do not have an NT
server
> > only netware 5.1. I set up a local profile first for Administrator and a

> Ok. You need to set up Zenworks. Zenworks2 StarterPack is free.
> Install it to server, create NT User Policies and enable roaming
> profiles.

> > standard user account, then create a PROFILES dir under USER volume on
NW
> > server and make [ROOT] the trustee as well as admin, I am not sure which
it

> In User Profiles you can tell the profile directory or check the option
> to store profiles in homedirectory which is the normal way in Netware.

> And install client32 to workstations.

> -sk

newbie:NT roaming profiles

Post by Sami Kapane » Wed, 05 Dec 2001 03:20:10

> Also how can I tell or change which login client is being used. I used the
> client that came with Zen 2. I have installed to the server. I do have
> several versions of login client in c:\winnt\system32. There is loginw32.exe
> and loginwnt.exe. Is it on the server cd or maybe the ZW2 cd?

The one on the Zenworks CD will work but get the resent one (v4.81) from
www.novell.com/download.

-sk

newbie:NT roaming profiles

Post by Hank » Tue, 04 Dec 2001 22:03:39

Where can i download the service packs? I can't seem to tell which file it
is.

> > Also how can I tell or change which login client is being used. I used
the
> > client that came with Zen 2. I have installed to the server. I do have
> > several versions of login client in c:\winnt\system32. There is
loginw32.exe
> > and loginwnt.exe. Is it on the server cd or maybe the ZW2 cd?

> The one on the Zenworks CD will work but get the resent one (v4.81) from
> www.novell.com/download.

> -sk

newbie:NT roaming profiles

Post by Hank » Wed, 05 Dec 2001 15:52:21

I found it
DOH!

> Where can i download the service packs? I can't seem to tell which file it
> is.

> > > Also how can I tell or change which login client is being used. I used
> the
> > > client that came with Zen 2. I have installed to the server. I do have
> > > several versions of login client in c:\winnt\system32. There is
> loginw32.exe
> > > and loginwnt.exe. Is it on the server cd or maybe the ZW2 cd?

> > The one on the Zenworks CD will work but get the resent one (v4.81) from
> > www.novell.com/download.

> > -sk

1. Local NT profiles vs roaming Novell profiles

Hi!
 I installed an authentification NT workstation on a Novell Network.
Once
connected, the NT station notices that the local profile is more recent
then the roaming profile saved on the network. Also, the NT station is
asking the user if he would like to get the local profile. Is there
someone
who can tell me how to configure my workstation to get by the question
and
get the roaming profile as default?

Pascal
Montreal
Canada

2. Error - cannot run test while cross compiling...

3. testmath.tex in AMSLaTeX 1.2 beta

4. Multiple Event 5775

5. Roaming profiles NW5 on NT WS4

6. NW programmer mailing list (was: documentation for sdk)

7. How to get Roaming Profiles on NT server and NOT NetWare when using Client32

8. Roaming NT Workstation Profiles on NetWare

9. Roaming Profiles on NT Laptop

10. NT Roaming Profiles and Login Scripts

11. NT Client 4.3/ZENWorks/Roaming Profiles