Upgrading Windows 3.1 to Windows 95, server from NetWare 3.11 to Windows NT?

Upgrading Windows 3.1 to Windows 95, server from NetWare 3.11 to Windows NT?

Post by Marc Hab » Sun, 28 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Hi!

Please don't be confused if you think that you've already seen this
article somewhere else. I have a truckload of questions that I have
split into various news articles to distribute the questions to the
appropriate newsgroups and to provide descriptive subjects. I am using
this article's first paragraphs to introduce my situation in a bunch
of questions that I will ask after the introduction.

I am currently administrator of a small network. We have 16 machines
running DOS 5.0 / Windows 3.1 hooked up via 10Base2 Ethernet to a
NetWare 3.11 server in an office situation. Word processing using
WinWord 2.0 is the main application, but there also is a Btrieve
database application accessing about 40 MB installed and used
frequently. My users usually don't have any computer knowledge, so the
network is configured very restrictively to minimize damages caused by
some unknowing user.

I am some kind of NetWare guy and the setup is fine-tuned to do some
things that the DOS / Windows / NetWare configuration never was
intended to do. On boot, the workstations synchronize their local HDDs
to a "master image" on the server so that I don't have to run around
on configuration changes. My users can have their personal
configuration like window colors follow them around without being
restrained to identical workstations - the setup is automagically
adapted to the hardware the user is using at that particular time. I
understand that some of these setup quirks such as the sync will have
to go once the machines are running Windows 95. On the other hand,
Windows 95 comes with some features that I had to coax out of Windows
3.1 with some serious arm twisting.

We will upgrade our workstations to Windows 95 in September, after
they have been beefed up to P133's with 16 MB RAM. Although the server
really doesn't need to be upgraded, I am thinking about changing the
OS to Windows NT on that occasion.

These are my reasons:

1)
I have yet to find out how to get NetWare to support Windows-95-type
lower case long file names.

2)
I have a feeling that Windows 95 will integrate more nicely into a
Windows NT server rather than into a NetWare server.

I would like to ask you for your opinion. Any more arguments pro
and/or contra NetWare and/or Windows NT? Should I stick with NetWare?
Would anyone recommend running the workstations under Windows NT also?
Will 16 MB be enough memory on the workstations to do so?

I'd appreciate any hints. If you answer by posting on UseNet and send
me a courtesy copy of your post by email, please indicate so that I
can answer on Usenet rather than by private mail to keep the
discussion going. And please be sure to cut my introductory *and
not to quote it into your followup. I've been posting this so many
times in the last hours, we'd end up singing it if everybody would
quote it. :-)

Greetings
Marc

Karlsruhe, Germany  |     Beginning of Wisdom "     | Fon: *49 721 966 32 15
Nordisch by Nature  | Lt. Worf, TNG "Rightful Heir" | Fax: *49 721 966 31 29

Post by Richard Slob » Mon, 29 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>We will upgrade our workstations to Windows 95 in September, after
>they have been beefed up to P133's with 16 MB RAM. Although the server
>really doesn't need to be upgraded, I am thinking about changing the
>OS to Windows NT on that occasion.
>These are my reasons:
>1)
>I have yet to find out how to get NetWare to support Windows-95-type
>lower case long file names.

To get NetWare 3.11 to support Win95 LFNs (note that I haven't
actually done this):

First, you need to make sure you have the OS2OPNFX patch applied.
This should be included in the NetWare 3.11 patch kit, which can be
found as ftp://ftp.novell.com/pub/updates/nwos/nw311/311ptd.exe if you
don't already have it.  The OS2OPNFX.NLM needs to be loaded before you
load OS2.NAM in the next step and also needs to be put in your
STARTUP.NCF or AUTOEXEC.NCF before OS2.NAM (see below).

Second, you need to install the OS/2 name space.  Executing these two
commands at the NetWare console will do it:

LOAD OS2
ADD NAME SPACE OS2 TO VOLUME <volume name>

The second command needs to repeated for any additional volumes on
which you want LFNs enabled.  The first command should also be added
to your STARTUP.NCF or AUTOEXEC.NCF so that OS2.NAM is loaded before
any LFN-enabled volumes are mounted (if you're LFN-enabling SYS, you
will thus have to copy OS2.NAM to your DOS partition).  It should be
put after the command that loads the OS2OPNFX patch (which thus may
also have to be copied to the DOS partition).

One word of warning:  I seem to recall someone mentioning a problem
convincing NetWare to load OS2OPNFX.NLM in STARTUP.NCF rather than
AUTOEXEC.NCF, which could be a problem if you're LFN-enabling SYS,
because you'd need to load OS2OPNFX.NLM and OS2.NAM before loading the
disk driver, which is loaded in STARTUP.NCF.  In that case, I suppose
you would have to move your AUTOEXEC.NCF to the DOS partition and move
the disk driver from STARTUP.NCF to AUTOEXEC.NCF (if the disk driver
isn't loaded by STARTUP.NCF, NetWare looks for AUTOEXEC.NCF on the DOS
partition rather than on SYS when it boots).  I believe you lose the
ability to edit AUTOEXEC.NCF from SYSCON and INSTALL.NLM if you do
that, but it'll still be accessible via EDIT.NLM on the server console
(and thus via RCONSOLE).

Third, you have to set each Win95 machine to recognize the LFN
support, since it defaults to not supporting it on 3.11 servers so as
to avoid its use on unpatched servers (I believe this step may not be
necesary if you're using Client32).  You can do this either by putting
this in SYSTEM.INI:

[Nwredir]
SupportLFN=2

or by putting SupportLFN=2 in this key in the Registry:

Hkey_local_machine\system\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\Nwredir

Quote:>2)
>I have a feeling that Windows 95 will integrate more nicely into a
>Windows NT server rather than into a NetWare server.

Well, it's certainly a lot easier to get long filenames working
(they're supported out of the box) but, to be fair, most of the above
wouldn't be necesary for a NetWare 3.12 server either (you would only
need to add the OS/2 name space; no NetWare patches or Windows
configuration changes necesary).

Post by Marc Hab » Tue, 30 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>>We will upgrade our workstations to Windows 95 in September, after
>>they have been beefed up to P133's with 16 MB RAM. Although the server
>>really doesn't need to be upgraded, I am thinking about changing the
>>OS to Windows NT on that occasion.
>>These are my reasons:
>>1)
>>I have yet to find out how to get NetWare to support Windows-95-type
>>lower case long file names.
>To get NetWare 3.11 to support Win95 LFNs (note that I haven't
>actually done this):

Well, I have. And I have experienced that NetWare does not allow lower
case letters in long file names - tried this on a NetWare 4.1 server.

Post by Eric Gindru » Sat, 03 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>>>1) I have yet to find out how to get NetWare to support
>>>Windows-95-type lower case long file names.

>>To get NetWare 3.11 to support Win95 LFNs (note that I haven't
>>actually done this):

>Well, I have. And I have experienced that NetWare does not allow lower
>case letters in long file names - tried this on a NetWare 4.1 server.

>Greetings

I recall reading that the Mac namespace would allow the use of
Win95 LFNs, but this is probably wrong.  As far as it goes, there
is nothing that can be done to make a LFN with or without lower-
case letters palatable to a DOS box.  Those LFNs are going to be
upper-cased (the verb) and, if they are actually long, name-mangled.
NetWare can't do anything about this since doing so would break
most DOS apps.  They *should* (in my world of flowers, sweetness,
and light) allow OS/2 machines to read OS/2 filenames just as well
as OS/2 will allow.

The biggest pain about this is that Mac files SALVAGEd at a DOS
box have all upper-cased names and are 8+3.

1. Windows 3.1 & Windows 3.11 running under Novell 3.11

I'm having great difficulty getting the above to happen.

I get frequent lockups, reboots, etc. on workstations running Windows.  No
problems running DOS applications whatsoever under Novell. My workstations
run the gamut from ancient XTs to Pentium/100s with varying amounts of
RAM.  For the workstations which have the hardware to handle Windows, I've
got Windows installed on the workstation and Windows runs and prints
without any trouble when the netware drivers aren't loaded.  Once I load
them, Windows starts giving me trouble.

My biggest problem though is printing.  I have no trouble printing from
DOS, but when I try to print from Windows, I get garbage instead of
graphics, unreliable printing problems, and loads of frustration.  I don't
get error messages that seem to pertain to the problem, just intermitent
crashes and no hard copy.  (For instance, one frequent error message in
3.1 tells me to increase my file handles in CONFIG.SYS; files is already
set at 150!)

Is there a FAQ that would tell me a) if it's possible to get things
working properly, and b) exactly how to configure things so that Windows
and Novell are "happy," c) where would I get such a FAQ?

Please EMAIL me if at all possible rather than posting to the group.

David L. Simpson
Deliverex of Sacramento

2. Desktop Software

3. Windows 3.1 driver to windows 3.11 drivers question

4. new (working) version of unixman.sty

5. Anyone know of a BOOTP server for windows NT,3.1, or 95 ?

6. SystemParametersInfo question

7. Help:Win 95 upgrade on a dual boot Windows 3.11/NT workstation

8. Generate Dataset defaults

9. Looking for Modem Monitor for Window 3.11 and/or Windows 95

10. can i have a network with windows 95 and windows 3.11??

11. Connecting Windows 3.11 For Workgroups To Windows 95 Through Laplink

12. Windows 95 & Windows 3.11

13. HELP! Windows 95, Windows NT, Novell Netware 4.1