Netware 4.1 FILE SYSTEM RIGHTS problem - HELP

Netware 4.1 FILE SYSTEM RIGHTS problem - HELP

Post by Srikanth Chalasa » Tue, 14 Nov 1995 04:00:00



Hi,

We have a peculiar problem surface at one of our lab servers. Here is the
situation:

We currently have a Netware 4.1 server with about 600+ users accounts
defined on it.

We have created 2 directories called (1) FILES and (2) TESTS
The FILES directory has READ AND FILE SCAN only priv. to STUDENTS
The TESTS directory has CREATE and WRITE (no R&F) privs to STUDENTS.

The users in the students group submit their tests back to the teachers
by saving their copy into the TESTS directory. From outside Windows 3.1
(i.e. DOS), it works great, kids can submit their tests to teachers
without overwriting some other kids documents, and once it is submitted,
they cannot pull it back and resubmit.

However the problem is when saving the document to the TESTS directory
directly from Windows applications such as Word, Excel, it gives me file
permission errors. Unless I give the TESTS dir. RWCEF privs, it will not
allow me to save the documents to that dir., and I do not want to give
all those privs. When saving doucments, it is trying to create *.tmp
files in this TESTS dir and is having problems. It can create the *.tmp
files but cannot read then back and eventually erase them. My SET TEMP
variable is set to a valid directory on the local hard drive, and can see
tmp files being created at this location also.

I talked to Microsoft Word support but they were at a loss of a reason
why it is doing so.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sri Chalasani


 
 
 

Netware 4.1 FILE SYSTEM RIGHTS problem - HELP

Post by Edwin Clet » Tue, 14 Nov 1995 04:00:00



 > The users in the students group submit their tests back to the teachers
 > by saving their copy into the TESTS directory. From outside Windows 3.1
 > (i.e. DOS), it works great, kids can submit their tests to teachers
[...]
 > However the problem is when saving the document to the TESTS directory
 > directly from Windows applications such as Word, Excel, it gives me file
 > permission errors. Unless I give the TESTS dir. RWCEF privs, it will not
 > allow me to save the documents to that dir., and I do not want to give
 > all those privs. When saving doucments, it is trying to create *.tmp
 > files in this TESTS dir and is having problems. It can create the *.tmp

Keep the rights as you set them so that it works, the problem can not
be solved for such (windows) programs due to their coding style, advice
those who are having trouble to save their results to a temp dir else-
where(home/floppy?) and copy the final draft to that special dir. You
might even create a pipe icon that copies file x to location y when
being dropped on it.

--

Post Office Box 9179, 3007 AD  Rotterdam  The Netherlands
Ftp Home Site: ftp://sodapop.cc.LaTech.edu/pub/novell/specials/
A.I. & Expert Technology, System Security Expertise/ICSE, ACE, NetWare
# Non-standard-disclaimer, I only speak for those who pay me enough. #

 
 
 

Netware 4.1 FILE SYSTEM RIGHTS problem - HELP

Post by Roger Kres » Thu, 16 Nov 1995 04:00:00



>We have a peculiar problem surface at one of our lab servers. Here is the
>situation:
>We currently have a Netware 4.1 server with about 600+ users accounts
>defined on it.
>We have created 2 directories called (1) FILES and (2) TESTS
>The FILES directory has READ AND FILE SCAN only priv. to STUDENTS
>The TESTS directory has CREATE and WRITE (no R&F) privs to STUDENTS.
>The users in the students group submit their tests back to the teachers
>by saving their copy into the TESTS directory. From outside Windows 3.1
>(i.e. DOS), it works great, kids can submit their tests to teachers
>without overwriting some other kids documents, and once it is submitted,
>they cannot pull it back and resubmit.
>However the problem is when saving the document to the TESTS directory
>directly from Windows applications such as Word, Excel, it gives me file
>permission errors. Unless I give the TESTS dir. RWCEF privs, it will not
>allow me to save the documents to that dir., and I do not want to give
>all those privs. When saving doucments, it is trying to create *.tmp
>files in this TESTS dir and is having problems. It can create the *.tmp
>files but cannot read then back and eventually erase them. My SET TEMP
>variable is set to a valid directory on the local hard drive, and can see
>tmp files being created at this location also.
>I talked to Microsoft Word support but they were at a loss of a reason
>why it is doing so.

This is just a shot in the dark:  Try adding another DOS environment
variable:

SET TMP=

You can even point this at the same directory as the TEMP environment
variable.  Some Windows apps from Microsoft use that variable.  Also,
depending on the version of Word, you can set the directory where
temporary files are created/stored.

--
===================================================================

Inacom Information Systems                    Compuserve: 71023,447
Lancaster, PA    
===================================================================

 
 
 

Netware 4.1 FILE SYSTEM RIGHTS problem - HELP

Post by Gu » Sat, 18 Nov 1995 04:00:00


: SET TMP=

: You can even point this at the same directory as the TEMP environment
: variable.  Some Windows apps from Microsoft use that variable.  Also,
: depending on the version of Word, you can set the directory where
: temporary files are created/stored.

Another suggestion along these lines is to make sure that the Word/Excel
program icon has the working directory set to a directory on the local
drive - if this is not set, the program may be creating temp files
in the current drive location (which can change under Windows by other
programs such as the File Manager) in the absence of a defined working
directory at startup.

 
 
 

Netware 4.1 FILE SYSTEM RIGHTS problem - HELP

Post by Lyle Gie » Mon, 20 Nov 1995 04:00:00




Quote:

>permission errors. Unless I give the TESTS dir. RWCEF privs, it will not
>allow me to save the documents to that dir., and I do not want to give
>all those privs. When saving doucments, it is trying to create *.tmp
>files in this TESTS dir and is having problems. It can create the *.tmp
>files but cannot read then back and eventually erase them. My SET TEMP
>variable is set to a valid directory on the local hard drive, and can see

Have you tried setting a SET TMP=?  (Yes, that is TEMP without the E).

The only other solution would be to have the students save to a local hard
drive and copy the files over.

Lyle

 
 
 

Netware 4.1 FILE SYSTEM RIGHTS problem - HELP

Post by Mark H. Wo » Thu, 23 Nov 1995 04:00:00


[description of problem:  MS app.s want to write temp files in dropbox
directory]

Quote:> This is just a shot in the dark:  Try adding another DOS environment
> variable:

> SET TMP=

> You can even point this at the same directory as the TEMP environment
> variable.  Some Windows apps from Microsoft use that variable.  Also,
> depending on the version of Word, you can set the directory where
> temporary files are created/stored.

Yes, I usually set a machine up with:

        SET TEMP=whatever
        SET TMP=%TEMP%

to get around this particular foolishness.  I wish Mr. Gates would bang some
heads together and tell their owners (and us) which one is real, and which one
is *going away in the next release of your product*.

And MS office products abound with directory path settings, but the
documentation isn't always very good at telling what they are all used for.
It's all magic and Things We Were Never Meant To Know.

BTW, how do we get the Standards Police to go 'round to the handful of ignorant
vendors who make up Yet More Scratch Directory Variables, and give them some
appropriate advice?

Ugh!
--


You are at a complex junction, with hyperlinks running off in *all* directions.
A hollow voice says, "PLUGH".