CD-R with Netware 4.11

Post by Kevin D. Snodgras » Wed, 03 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> but it fills too quickly. We were looking at CD-R, but couldn't find any good
> information about it working under Netware 4.11. Is CD-R possible? If so, do

Not likely to ever be possible.  Too many things can go
wrong with writting a CD-R.  Besides, a server is not the
place to be doing this kind of thing.

Quote:> you know of a particular drive that works (or ships with the right software)?
> If not, do you know of a better alternative? Would a JAZ drive work?

Setup a Win9x or Linux box to write CD-Rs.  Copy the user
hard disk to the server, then to the CD-R box.  Make the
image and write the disk.

But I gotta ask why?  Workstations should be as generic as
possible.  If your users are saving useful data locally you
are not utilizing your *fileserver* correctly.  Plus if
users move around your site their data is not available to
them anywhere they go (unless you have allowed that polluted
Winxx "share"-ing *to get started) since it is sitting
on a hard drive someplace else.

--
Kevin D. Snodgrass              | Money in Washington (D.C.)
                                | is like honey to bears,
Spam-proofed email address,     | they can't keep their paws
intelligent beings will adjust. | off of it. - Steve Forbes

CD-R with Netware 4.11

Post by Ken Agre » Thu, 04 Feb 1999 04:00:00

<snip>

Quote:>what they want: a faster machine that works just like their old one. Keeps
>them happy, and a lot of them have enough pull, that if starting messing
>things up royally, we could be in serious trouble from the powers that be.
>The downside of working in education.

Nearly every server backup package includes agents for backing up
clients across the wire.  Perhaps you should use this feature (on a
limited basis - it can be excrutiatingly slow) for the times you need
to back everything up.

Ken Agress/CNE