Groupwise Utility for POP3 account on the workstations?

Groupwise Utility for POP3 account on the workstations?

Post by Dana Friedm » Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi:

I'm moving a small shop from Netware 3.12 to probably NW for Small
Business 4.2...They're running MS Mail internally. They also dial out
to get their external POP3 e-mail..but there is no version of
Groupwise (currently available) that will dial up and poll multiple
POP3 accounts in a single call from the server and distribute mail
from the server to the workstations.

However..I understand that there's a utility out there that's an
add-on to Groupwise that'll allow users to use Groupwise as a POP3
mail client and put POP3 mail in their individual Groupwise Mailboxes,
so that the users can have one Inbox with everything in it... (Just
like the old Exchange Mail client that came w/ Windows 95). Between
that and the MS Mail Migration utility, they ought to be all set.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Dana
Check out our company's website at http://www.dragonflytech.com

Groupwise Utility for POP3 account on the workstations?

Post by Reverend Te » Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Look for the POPSUCKER C3PO on Novell Consulting's web site.

>Hi:

>I'm moving a small shop from Netware 3.12 to probably NW for Small
>Business 4.2...They're running MS Mail internally. They also dial out
>to get their external POP3 e-mail..but there is no version of
>Groupwise (currently available) that will dial up and poll multiple
>POP3 accounts in a single call from the server and distribute mail
>from the server to the workstations.

>However..I understand that there's a utility out there that's an
>add-on to Groupwise that'll allow users to use Groupwise as a POP3
>mail client and put POP3 mail in their individual Groupwise Mailboxes,
>so that the users can have one Inbox with everything in it... (Just
>like the old Exchange Mail client that came w/ Windows 95). Between
>that and the MS Mail Migration utility, they ought to be all set.

>Anyone have any thoughts on this?

>Thanks,
>Dana
>Check out our company's website at http://www.dragonflytech.com

Groupwise Utility for POP3 account on the workstations?

Post by Charles D. Ki » Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi:

>I'm moving a small shop from Netware 3.12 to probably NW for Small
>Business 4.2...They're running MS Mail internally. They also dial out
>to get their external POP3 e-mail..but there is no version of
>Groupwise (currently available) that will dial up and poll multiple
>POP3 accounts in a single call from the server and distribute mail
>from the server to the workstations.

>However..I understand that there's a utility out there that's an
>add-on to Groupwise that'll allow users to use Groupwise as a POP3
>mail client and put POP3 mail in their individual Groupwise Mailboxes,
>so that the users can have one Inbox with everything in it... (Just
>like the old Exchange Mail client that came w/ Windows 95). Between
>that and the MS Mail Migration utility, they ought to be all set.

I know this doesn't really answer your question, but...

What about using the GWIA?  (GroupWise Internet Agent).  If you are
able to setup your own domain, ect, you can let the GroupWise server
act as the pop3 server.

Groupwise Utility for POP3 account on the workstations?

Post by Dana Friedm » Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>Look for the POPSUCKER C3PO on Novell Consulting's web site.

The folks at Novell's CRC (Customer Response Center) told me about
this utility, and they couldn't locate it. After having tried, neither
could I. I saw some downloadable tools for Groupwise. This was not
among them.

Perhaps it's been taken off the site because the next version of
Groupwise (coming out this summer <<grrr>>) will have this
functionality built in?

But they're YEARS behind other products on this front. It makes them
look bad to be offering this functionality so late. I don't want to
have to explain to my site why they'll need 2 mailboxes and/or mail
applications for internal and external mail respectively after having
upgraded their server hardware and software.

If anyone has a copy of this POPSUCKER C3PO, it is shareware/freeware
(one of the two..I'm not sure which)...I'd sure love a copy. Novell's
CRC is trying to find a copy to send me.

Ah well :(

Dana
Check out our company's website at http://www.dragonflytech.com

Groupwise Utility for POP3 account on the workstations?

Post by Dana Friedm » Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>What about using the GWIA?  (GroupWise Internet Agent).  If you are
>able to setup your own domain, ect, you can let the GroupWise server
>act as the pop3 server.

Well...as I understand it..if the GWIA machine isn't directly on the
net, but is dialing up to the Net, it can't poll for multiple
accounts' mail in a single phone call to the ISP. This is a major
problem, as it would take 10 times the # of 1-2 minute phone calls to
get the (10) users' mail than it really should.

This shop only has dial up 'net access. So GWIA is not the answer, I'm
afraid.

If I'm wrong about this, please feel FREE to contradict me....Also,
the individual users want to dial up to the Net to get mail. They
don't want to have to rely on the server dialing up and getting it for
them, possibly having to wait longer than they want for their Internet
mail.
Check out our company's website at http://www.dragonflytech.com

Groupwise Utility for POP3 account on the workstations?

Post by Dana Friedm » Tue, 09 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi all:

A lovely man named Kent at Novell's Customer Reponse Center sent me
something called GWPOP3.EXE. It has the POPSucker C3PO inside a
self-extracting executable.

Best,

Post by Bud Durlan » Mon, 15 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> I'm moving a small shop from Netware 3.12 to probably NW for Small
> Business 4.2...They're running MS Mail internally. They also dial out
> to get their external POP3 e-mail..but there is no version of
> Groupwise (currently available) that will dial up and poll multiple
> POP3 accounts in a single call from the server and distribute mail
> from the server to the workstations.

I don't know of any add-on GroupWise utilities that will poll multiple
POP accounts, but you did ask for thoughts, so:

There is a company called Allegro that will do all your internet e-mail
work for you. You configure the async gateway portion of GW to
periodically call their servers and fetch your company's e-mail.  This
gets you an e-mail address for every user that's defined in GW.  I've
set this up for a local law firm and it works quite well. You pay per
month for the service. You can go to http://www.allegro.net for more
information

A company call Puzzle Systems puts out a product called IPConnect.  It
is a mail server NLM that runs on your NW box.  It can be configured to
periodically dial a server-attached modem and poll multiple POP3
accounts to download e-mail (as well as send outgoing mail).  It can
also be used as a way to connect the entire network to the internet on
an as-needed basis through a modem on the server. I've heard some
negative reports about their tech support, but I don't have any personal
experience with them (other than the spam they periodically send to
newsgroups).  I think the product costs ~$700. Find them at
http://www.puzzle.com/ipc_info.htm

Finally, there is the Niagara mail server from Camasoft
(http://www.officenet.hu).  It is a full standards based POP3/SMTP
e-mail server.  In conjuntion with MPR, it can be programmed to do
periodic e-mail updates with your ISP.  Cost is based on the number of
mail boxes -- recently a customer setup 35 users for ~$300.

Personally, I'd re-evaluate the need for GroupWise.  It's a great
product, but does come with a lot of overhead & server requirements.  By
implementing a standard SMTP/POP3 e-mail server, your users can continue
to use the Win95 'inbox' that they've become accustomed to.

Bud Durland, CNE   durlandn 'at' westelcom.com  fax 518.834.9934
"There is no careful way to interrogate a Klingon"
                      -- Security Chief Odo

Post by Johan Reuvekam » Tue, 16 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>> I'm moving a small shop from Netware 3.12 to probably NW for Small
>> Business 4.2...They're running MS Mail internally. They also dial out
>> to get their external POP3 e-mail..but there is no version of
>> Groupwise (currently available) that will dial up and poll multiple
>> POP3 accounts in a single call from the server and distribute mail
>> from the server to the workstations.

>I don't know of any add-on GroupWise utilities that will poll multiple
>POP accounts, but you did ask for thoughts, so:

Novell has one in beta now, go to support.novell.com and in the file finder
search for

nwsbp1.exe

Johan Reuvekamp