cmos - bios time

Post by b.j. hogeboo » Thu, 29 Oct 1998 04:00:00

what is the difference between cmos and bios time?

bjh

cmos - bios time

Post by Brian William » Thu, 29 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> what is the difference between cmos and bios time?

I would regard these as the same, referring to the battery-backed Real
Time Clock.  This is distinct from the clock used by DOS or Netware
while either is running.  They initialize from the RTC but maintain time
separately thereafter (unless you set Netware4.x to sync with RTC).
--
Brian Williams

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you really wanted.

cmos - bios time

Post by Steven L. Hoffm » Fri, 30 Oct 1998 04:00:00

On Wed, 28 Oct 1998 08:52:23 +0100, "b.j. hogeboom"

>what is the difference between cmos and bios time?

>bjh

Let's see if I get this right (I hate acronyms).  CMOS (complimentary
metal oxide semiconductor) is a chip type.  BIOS (basic input/output
system) is the software that resides on a chip (CMOS or other type)
that enables the main OS to load.  I would regard them as the same.

If anyone is interested, I would like to start a group of computer
professionals dedicated to ridding the world of these confusing, and
often misleading abbreviations.  If anyone would like to join the
acronym phase out program (APOP), just let me know  ;-)

--------------------

Steve Hoffman
XenoBiotic Laboratories, Inc.

cmos - bios time

Post by Nuno Guerrei » Fri, 30 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>> what is the difference between cmos and bios time?

>I would regard these as the same, referring to the battery-backed Real
>Time Clock.  This is distinct from the clock used by DOS or Netware
>while either is running.  They initialize from the RTC but maintain time
>separately thereafter (unless you set Netware4.x to sync with RTC).
>--
>Brian Williams

>Experience is what you get when you don't get what you really wanted.

By the way, when I tested my PC's for the Year 2000 problem, the
software I used always reported a failure in the Real Time Clock
Rollover test, even on very recent computers. What kind of test is
this?

The software I used is called Test2000.

Many thanks,

Nuno Guerreiro

As I don't normally appreciate unsolicited commercial e-mail (widely known as SPAM),
I encoded my e-mail address. If you want to reply by e-mail, please remove the text
added to fool spam software

"The art of arts, the glory of expression and the sunshine that lights the light of letters
 is simplicity"

                                                        Walt Whitman

cmos - bios time

Post by Brian William » Fri, 30 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> By the way, when I tested my PC's for the Year 2000 problem, the
> software I used always reported a failure in the Real Time Clock
> Rollover test, even on very recent computers. What kind of test is
> this?

> The software I used is called Test2000.

Most of the RTC chips in use will fail a Y2K test.  Apparently there is
such a huge inventory of them in the pipeline that even recent PCs use
them.  Most manufacturers compensate for this in BIOS to achieve proper
rollover.
--
Brian Williams

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you really wanted.

cmos - bios time

Post by Jim » Fri, 30 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>By the way, when I tested my PC's for the Year 2000 problem, the
>software I used always reported a failure in the Real Time Clock
>Rollover test, even on very recent computers. What kind of test is
>this?

>The software I used is called Test2000.

On many of our pc's, if the cmos clock is set to 1 minute before Jan 1 of
2000, the date will revert back to 1980 instead of 2000.  Some of them can
have the cmos date manually set and it will stay it just won't go to y2000
automatically. On all our pc's the operating system's time (ie Win95) can be
set to 2000 and everything is fine until the pc is turned off. Since ours
are all networked and get the time and date at login, I believe they will be
fine except with software that uses the cmos clock for time and date info
instead of the os. At least, this is my understanding.

Jim K

1. Netware, Year 2000, CMOS RTC and BIOS

I'm trying to figure out whether it's important to check a PC's CMOS
Real Time Clock
for Year 2000 compliance or if it's sufficient just to check the BIOS
clock.

Does Netware (server) access the RTC clock directly for some of its
(timing) functions as
opposed to getting it from the BIOS?

2. discussion output

3. Linux Kernel and CMOS Time

4. ASSISTANCE NEEDED!

5. Y2K: Does Netware directly access the RTC, or access date/time via bios??

6. outlook express emails come in twice

7. Xircom V.90 Flash/CMOS bei Armada

8. How to send an e-mail automatically?

9. CMOS/V.90 Flash/Xircom CM56G/Armada

10. Softmodem vs submicrom cmos problems

11. CMOS version of 16550 ?

12. SENIOR CMOS IC DESIGNER/PROJECT LEADER: Ottawa: California: F.T. OPEN $

13. setting up WOL from CMOS settings...