Sync Server Time for Netware / NT 4 / Unix

Sync Server Time for Netware / NT 4 / Unix

Post by Matt » Mon, 29 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

Does anyone know of any utilities that might be able to sync time between
our servers, NW v4.11, NT v4.0 and SCO Unix v5.05?

Matt

Sync Server Time for Netware / NT 4 / Unix

Post by Ken Agre » Mon, 29 Mar 1999 04:00:00

On Sun, 28 Mar 1999 17:41:20 +0100, "Matt"

>Hi,

>Does anyone know of any utilities that might be able to sync time between
>our servers, NW v4.11, NT v4.0 and SCO Unix v5.05?

Sounds like a job for NTP services.  Make the Unix box an NTP
provider, and use Rdate or similar services to synchronize time to
it's time.  You could also use NTP to set the Unix box to the time
provided by one of the atomic clocks available over the Internet.

Ken Agress/CNE

Sync Server Time for Netware / NT 4 / Unix

Post by Matt » Tue, 30 Mar 1999 04:00:00

thanks ken,

could you or someone point me in the right direction to see how to run NTP
on unix and which atomic servers are available to sync from on the net?

regards,

Matt

are available

> On Sun, 28 Mar 1999 17:41:20 +0100, "Matt"

> >Hi,

> >Does anyone know of any utilities that might be able to sync time between
> >our servers, NW v4.11, NT v4.0 and SCO Unix v5.05?

> Sounds like a job for NTP services.  Make the Unix box an NTP
> provider, and use Rdate or similar services to synchronize time to
> it's time.  You could also use NTP to set the Unix box to the time
> provided by one of the atomic clocks available over the Internet.

> Ken Agress/CNE

Sync Server Time for Netware / NT 4 / Unix

Post by Marcus Williams » Tue, 30 Mar 1999 04:00:00

See here :

http://www.connectotel.com/netware/timesg.html

regards
Marcus

On Sun, 28 Mar 1999 17:41:20 +0100, "Matt"

>Hi,

>Does anyone know of any utilities that might be able to sync time between
>our servers, NW v4.11, NT v4.0 and SCO Unix v5.05?

>Matt

Sync Server Time for Netware / NT 4 / Unix

Post by Ken Agre » Tue, 30 Mar 1999 04:00:00

On Mon, 29 Mar 1999 19:19:48 +0100, "Matt"

>thanks ken,

>could you or someone point me in the right direction to see how to run NTP
>on unix and which atomic servers are available to sync from on the net?

I couldn't help on the Unix piece (not being a Unix guru myself), but
I'm sure someone in one of the Unix newsgroups could help.  As to
servers available via the 'net - get your hands on *kit.  It's an
absolutely *fantastic* IP troubleshooting tool (includes ping,
traceroute, all sorts of DNS lookups, and other goodies) that has an
address book including a number of the public clocks you can refer to.

Ken Agress/CNE

Post by Hansang B » Thu, 01 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>could you or someone point me in the right direction to see how to run NTP
>on unix and which atomic servers are available to sync from on the net?

Play with /usr/sbin/ntpdate

*********** Remove the REMOVE if emailing me directly **************
Hansang Bae        Director of Network Operations, Eastern Region
Richey Systems          Main Office: (800) 776-5145

Specializing in Network Design/Troubleshooting and Protocol Analysis

Post by Bruce R. Willia » Fri, 02 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>On Sun, 28 Mar 1999 17:41:20 +0100, "Matt"

>>Hi,

>>Does anyone know of any utilities that might be able to sync time between
>>our servers, NW v4.11, NT v4.0 and SCO Unix v5.05?

>Sounds like a job for NTP services.  Make the Unix box an NTP
>provider, and use Rdate or similar services to synchronize time to
>it's time.

  This sounds useful.  Is RDATE an NLM?  Where can it be found?  I
also would like a way to keep our 3.12 and 4.1 file servers in sync
with our Unix boxes.

-Bruce
--
Bruce R. Williams
Project Manager, Sr. Software Engineer.

Sync Server Time for Netware / NT 4 / Unix

Post by Matt » Fri, 02 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Yes it is an NLM, do a search on the web, i found loadsa sites with it to
download, haven't tried
it yet to see how easy it is to implement.....

Good luck.

Matt.

> >On Sun, 28 Mar 1999 17:41:20 +0100, "Matt"

> >>Hi,

> >>Does anyone know of any utilities that might be able to sync time
between
> >>our servers, NW v4.11, NT v4.0 and SCO Unix v5.05?

> >Sounds like a job for NTP services.  Make the Unix box an NTP
> >provider, and use Rdate or similar services to synchronize time to
> >it's time.

>   This sounds useful.  Is RDATE an NLM?  Where can it be found?  I
> also would like a way to keep our 3.12 and 4.1 file servers in sync
> with our Unix boxes.

> -Bruce
> --
> Bruce R. Williams
> Project Manager, Sr. Software Engineer.
> ROI Systems, Inc.  Midvale, Utah

Sync Server Time for Netware / NT 4 / Unix

Post by Paul Ponti » Fri, 02 Apr 1999 04:00:00

How can you sync an NT4 server from a netware server?

>>On Sun, 28 Mar 1999 17:41:20 +0100, "Matt"

>>>Hi,

>>>Does anyone know of any utilities that might be able to sync time between
>>>our servers, NW v4.11, NT v4.0 and SCO Unix v5.05?

>>Sounds like a job for NTP services.  Make the Unix box an NTP
>>provider, and use Rdate or similar services to synchronize time to
>>it's time.

>  This sounds useful.  Is RDATE an NLM?  Where can it be found?  I
>also would like a way to keep our 3.12 and 4.1 file servers in sync
>with our Unix boxes.

>-Bruce

Paul Ponting
Technical Analyst - CNE

www   : http://www.pponting.demon.co.uk

Post by Ken Agre » Fri, 02 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>How can you sync an NT4 server from a netware server?

NDS for NT?  If an NT server can hold a replica, it has to understand
time stamps and synchronize to the same time as the rest of the
servers.

There may be third-party methods as well (anybody know of an NLM that
makes Novell an NTP *server?*), but I don't know them off the top of
my head.

Ken Agress/CNE

Post by Terry P. Sanderso » Sat, 03 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>   This sounds useful.  Is RDATE an NLM?  Where can it be found?  I
> also would like a way to keep our 3.12 and 4.1 file servers in sync
> with our Unix boxes.

Go to:

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/software.html

A great site for NTP software for most platforms.

--
Terry P. Sanderson P.Eng
Supervisor, Workgroup Technology Support

Sync Server Time for Netware / NT 4 / Unix

Post by David Gers » Sat, 03 Apr 1999 04:00:00

On Thu, 1 Apr 1999 21:22:50 +0100, "Matt"

>Yes it is an NLM, do a search on the web, i found loadsa sites with it to
>download, haven't tried
>it yet to see how easy it is to implement.....

It's just about trivial to set up and use. For NW3, all you have to do
is load it with the command line switches you want. For NW4, you want
to set your entire tree up to timesync from the server running rdate.
Simple configuration details are available from
http://www.veryComputer.com/, for
NW4, you must use UDP mode, as the tcp/ip stack doesn't like the TCP
mode. Other than that, it works great. I've been using it here for a
bunch of years.

 I'm tired of receiving *in my mailbox, so the E-mail address has been
 munged to foil the junkmail bots. Humans will figure it out on their own.

1. Synching Netware NDS time services with Unix time server

Hi

Does anybody know of an nlm that will let me sync my primary timeserver in
with our unix systems - they take their time signal from off-site and are
supposedly set against an accurate time source. Linkin the Netware service
to this would be _very_ useful.

Cheers

Rik

2. Need inexpensive (< $ 5000) mini CNC boring mill

3. Time sync a Netware 3.x server from a Netware 4.x server

4. FS:Amiga games and other stuff

5. Time sync between NT and NetWare servers

6. 3.12 to 4.11 --- More Memory?

7. NTP Time NLM to sync NetWare with NTP time server?

8. Action words in spreadsheets

9. Time Sync NLM to Sync with Internet Time Servers

10. UNIX sync. time from NT domain

11. NetWare Time Synch From Unix?