Win95 and Windows NT peer-to-peer network inside NW 4.11

Win95 and Windows NT peer-to-peer network inside NW 4.11

Post by Helen Lezgin » Wed, 13 May 1998 04:00:00

Hello everybody!
We have 2 servers NW 4.11 and more than 100 workstations with Win 3.1,
Win95 and WinNT Workstation. In some departments users want to share
their disk resources under Win95 or WinNT peer-to-peer network with
simultaneous access to NW 4.11 servers. I know, it's conveniant,
but are there any recomendations concerned broadcast storms, increasing
network trafic and other problems of joined use NetBIOS and IPX/SPX?
Thanks in advance.
                         Helen M. Lezgina

Win95 and Windows NT peer-to-peer network inside NW 4.11

Post by Ken Agre » Wed, 13 May 1998 04:00:00

On Tue, 12 May 1998 16:54:58 +0600, Helen Lezgina

>Hello everybody!
>We have 2 servers NW 4.11 and more than 100 workstations with Win 3.1,
>Win95 and WinNT Workstation. In some departments users want to share
>their disk resources under Win95 or WinNT peer-to-peer network with
>simultaneous access to NW 4.11 servers. I know, it's conveniant,
>but are there any recomendations concerned broadcast storms, increasing
>network trafic and other problems of joined use NetBIOS and IPX/SPX?
>Thanks in advance.

Sharing user's hard drives is a great way to drive network utilization
through the roof and create a situation where security is an utter
joke.  Since security must be administered (if it is at all) from each
individual machine, most users just allow anyone to access whatever
they want on their local drive.  I had a CFO who thought this was just
the most killer idea in the world since he could allow his secretary
access to all his work.  Then I showed him that I could pull up the
payroll files he stored locally, and introduced him to a private
directory for he & his secretary.  End of problem.

Peer-to-peer is a great concept that works when there's about three
users and no server present.  Once the server is there, it makes much
more sense to teach people how to use it and create shared areas as
appropriate to needs.

Ken Agress/CNE