accesing pop3 accounts through firewall with NWSB/GW52/brdrmanager

accesing pop3 accounts through firewall with NWSB/GW52/brdrmanager

Post by Heat » Fri, 03 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I had a problem yesterday getting my NWSB server to dial out with
groupwise and bordermanager.  This was solved thanks to Johan Reuvekamp.

Now I can ping my ISP's mail server by name and IP from the server but
only by IP from clients.  How do I get the name resolution to work so
users can access mail and newsgroups?

NAT is configured for dynamic only on the binding for the modem/ISP
dialout, I was told this would fix the problem but it hasn't.

Formerly, through wingate, users mail was poped by pointing mail

simple workaround like this to avoid the firewall?

Heath

accesing pop3 accounts through firewall with NWSB/GW52/brdrmanager

Post by Johan Reuvekam » Fri, 03 Sep 1999 04:00:00

If you can ping them by IP address and not by name the WS don't have a DNS
server defined. Load dhcpcfg on the server, choose the subnetwork profile
and hit <Enter> on the Domain Name System used = Yes field. Enter the IP
address of your ISP DNS server in the Primary Name Server field. Don't care
what you enter in the domain name field. Run winipcfg on the WS and refresh
(or renew ?). It should have the new settings then.

> I had a problem yesterday getting my NWSB server to dial out with
> groupwise and bordermanager.  This was solved thanks to Johan Reuvekamp.

> Now I can ping my ISP's mail server by name and IP from the server but
> only by IP from clients.  How do I get the name resolution to work so
> users can access mail and newsgroups?

> NAT is configured for dynamic only on the binding for the modem/ISP
> dialout, I was told this would fix the problem but it hasn't.

> Formerly, through wingate, users mail was poped by pointing mail

> simple workaround like this to avoid the firewall?

> Heath

accesing pop3 accounts through firewall with NWSB/GW52/brdrmanager

Post by hkitchi » Tue, 07 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Thanks again Johan,  this pushed me in the right direction, but again didn't
solve the whole problem.  DHCP is dissabled as we only have 10 machines on the
network and 5 are unix servers but it prompted me to set up the client PC's
with correct DNS name servers.

Hasn't fixed name resolution though, I've had to use a static entry in hosts to
access mail server from Eudora.

Eudora will now pop mail but netscape won't. There is a specific TID (2933125)
detailing a solution but it doesn't work. See my message "IP filters and
bordermanager".

Heath Kitchin.

> If you can ping them by IP address and not by name the WS don't have a DNS
> server defined. Load dhcpcfg on the server, choose the subnetwork profile
> and hit <Enter> on the Domain Name System used = Yes field. Enter the IP
> address of your ISP DNS server in the Primary Name Server field. Don't care
> what you enter in the domain name field. Run winipcfg on the WS and refresh
> (or renew ?). It should have the new settings then.

> > I had a problem yesterday getting my NWSB server to dial out with
> > groupwise and bordermanager.  This was solved thanks to Johan Reuvekamp.

> > Now I can ping my ISP's mail server by name and IP from the server but
> > only by IP from clients.  How do I get the name resolution to work so
> > users can access mail and newsgroups?

> > NAT is configured for dynamic only on the binding for the modem/ISP
> > dialout, I was told this would fix the problem but it hasn't.

> > Formerly, through wingate, users mail was poped by pointing mail

> > simple workaround like this to avoid the firewall?

> > Heath

accesing pop3 accounts through firewall with NWSB/GW52/brdrmanager

Post by Marcus Williams » Sat, 11 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Have you tried using SET TCP IP DEBUG=1 to see which ports Netscape is
trying to use?

regards
Marcus

>Thanks again Johan,  this pushed me in the right direction, but again didn't
>solve the whole problem.  DHCP is dissabled as we only have 10 machines on the
>network and 5 are unix servers but it prompted me to set up the client PC's
>with correct DNS name servers.

>Hasn't fixed name resolution though, I've had to use a static entry in hosts to
>access mail server from Eudora.

>Eudora will now pop mail but netscape won't. There is a specific TID (2933125)
>detailing a solution but it doesn't work. See my message "IP filters and
>bordermanager".

>Heath Kitchin.

>> If you can ping them by IP address and not by name the WS don't have a DNS
>> server defined. Load dhcpcfg on the server, choose the subnetwork profile
>> and hit <Enter> on the Domain Name System used = Yes field. Enter the IP
>> address of your ISP DNS server in the Primary Name Server field. Don't care
>> what you enter in the domain name field. Run winipcfg on the WS and refresh
>> (or renew ?). It should have the new settings then.

>> > I had a problem yesterday getting my NWSB server to dial out with
>> > groupwise and bordermanager.  This was solved thanks to Johan Reuvekamp.

>> > Now I can ping my ISP's mail server by name and IP from the server but
>> > only by IP from clients.  How do I get the name resolution to work so
>> > users can access mail and newsgroups?

>> > NAT is configured for dynamic only on the binding for the modem/ISP
>> > dialout, I was told this would fix the problem but it hasn't.

>> > Formerly, through wingate, users mail was poped by pointing mail

>> > simple workaround like this to avoid the firewall?

>> > Heath

1. How to receive eMails from Pop3 Account with Mercury (NLM) 1.48 on Netware 4.15?

My company try to use an Gateway Mailserver on an Novell Netware 4.15,
to distribute eMails from our Provider german Strato. We use PMail as
Mailclient and so we wish to use Mercury (NLM) 1.48 as Mailserver.
Now we have an problem to get access on the Pop3 Account ours Provider
under Mercury(NLM).
I know in the Mercury(w32) Windows Version is the MercuryD Modul the
Client for Pop3 but in the Mercury(NLM)  Netware Version there is no
NLM-Module like that?
How can i deliver/transferred the Mails from our Pop3 Account by
Provider Strato to Mercury(NLM)?

Bye Lars!

2. Nice fonts with pdftex [TT2001][TEXTRACE][PKTRACE]

3. Groupwise Utility for POP3 account on the workstations?

4. Phil Inch

5. Pop3 issues with new Comcast account

6. Backsave products

7. Playing modem games thru 2 Internet shell accounts.

8. RJ21 connector - is it the same as a centronics connector ?

9. Only email accounts thru ppp

10. Cisco VPN Client (Windows) thru Linux Masq Firewall and Dial-Up

11. can't get http protocol to work thru cisco 2621xm firewall

12. Multicast thru PIX firewall

13. Connecting a VPN Client behind a firewall thru TCP port 443 to a PIX