Trouble: Connecting WIN98 and DOS-PC (ethernet)

Trouble: Connecting WIN98 and DOS-PC (ethernet)

Post by MarkBo » Sun, 20 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hello together,

First the most important: HELP!

Now the details: I have a problem with WIN98 and I hope somone can help me.

Few days ago Ive changed to WIN98 (from WIN 3.1 :-) and until that moment I
had connected my two computers (a Pentium and an old 386) with ethernet-cards
and Novell-Lite. It was a peer-to-peer network, that allways worked well.

Now there is the question how to hold up that network because I cannot combine
that old network software (DOS) with WIN98. A test installation of Novell-Lite
told me, that WIN98 realy dont like DOS-TSR programs :-)

Certainly Ive tried to use the WIN98-network-client. It seems, that it works
only with Novell-Netware, but not with Novell-Lite. I was asked for a working
group and for the server with the user list. But I dont know such things from
Novell-Lite. If somone knows how it works, please send me a e-mail!

If Im right that the WIN98-network-client doesnt works together with
Novell-Lite please tell me if there is software to connect WIN98-computers with
DOS-computers via peer-to-peer (best with ethernet).

I know its seems to be crazy and possibly you ask yourself: why doesnt he buy
a second pentium-computer and make WIN98-intern network? But theres running a
freeware BBS-software on the DOS-machine and Im sure it wont run correct with
WIN98. Thats why I want to remain it first (never change a running system, you
know? :-)

Thank you very much for your help in advance!

Please answer with e-mail, because I usualy cant have a look in this
newsgroup.

And excuse my bad english (german? yes... :-)

bye,

Mark

1. How do I connect 2 DOS PC's through Ethernet.

Hi all,

I have 2 DOS (Gasp!) PC's that I would like
to share information.  (Either via a DOS file, or
through a C program)

I guess a file would be the most standard way.

So, one PC would have to give file access to
the other PC.  I really don't want to load some
bulky LAN software.  (I use Novell with other
systems)

Is there anywhere on the net that I can find
out how to do a build it yourself network
with 2 PC's through their ethernet NIC's?
They both have RJ45's.  Do I need something
like a null modem connector between them?

Thanks!
Gerald

2. MicroStation 'J' Font Characters

3. connecting my home PC to my office PC (win98)

4. Educational Palm

5. Can Win98 PCs run DOS network software?

6. Atari ST FTP site list

7. How to Connect the network from Win98 or NT to Novell DOS system via Networking

8. A500 Network Array Part 2

9. Connecting DOS Machine to Win98 perr-to-peer network

10. Connecting DOS to Win98 LAN at home

11. Netware server / win98 PC connect

12. Connecting 2 Win98 PCs Using UTP & Network cards???

13. Can I connect 2 PCs (Win98) using direct cables?