New Arcserve/DAT problem

Post by Iain McLare » Fri, 12 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I have a new problem with my DAT drive and ArcServe after changing to an
adaptec 1542CP card. I have got the software recognising the drive, and
I can perform backups, but when it comes to do the compare I get an
error E1058, Failed to read from media - End of media.

After re-installing to make sure that it knows about the card change, I
looked on the Cheyenne technical site and found a document that
recommends changing the SCSI transfer rate of the host adapter  to
5Mb/s.

I hope this will fix the problem, but I won't be able to try it until
next week. Has anyone come across this error and fixed it before?

...until then, it's CRC checks only!

Regards,

Iain

New Arcserve/DAT problem

Post by Barry Gros » Fri, 12 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I had this problem and changing the sync rate did fix it.

> Hi,

> I have a new problem with my DAT drive and ArcServe after changing to an
> adaptec 1542CP card. I have got the software recognising the drive, and
> I can perform backups, but when it comes to do the compare I get an
> error E1058, Failed to read from media - End of media.

> After re-installing to make sure that it knows about the card change, I
> looked on the Cheyenne technical site and found a document that
> recommends changing the SCSI transfer rate of the host adapter  to
> 5Mb/s.

> I hope this will fix the problem, but I won't be able to try it until
> next week. Has anyone come across this error and fixed it before?

> ...until then, it's CRC checks only!

> Regards,

> Iain

New Arcserve/DAT problem

Post by Michael Wurb » Mon, 15 Mar 1999 04:00:00

We have had a very similar problem with Arcserve 6.1. We spent absolutely
ages on the phone to Computer Associates and eventually fixed the problem.

Try this:

-Apply Novell service pack 6 - Computer Associates actually states, that the
Disk Drivers contained within SP6 can actually break Arcserve. It is
therefore imperative that  make a backup of your Diskdrivers (SCSI Card
drivers) before applying SP6.

-There are 2 patches available for download from Computer Associates's
Website ( 5MB and 11MB I think ). Also check for other patches, which
specifically apply to your hardware. We downloaded some new driver's for our
DAT drive.

-In our case the Arcserve Database had corrupted itself. There is a
procedure to verify if this is the case. (Size of the database directory &
number of files). Go to www.cai.com for details.

-Also be aware that autopurge / autoprune of the Arcserve database is
disabled by default. Verify your settings

Cheers,

Mike

Quote:>Hi,

>I have a new problem with my DAT drive and ArcServe after changing to an
>adaptec 1542CP card. I have got the software recognising the drive, and
>I can perform backups, but when it comes to do the compare I get an
>error E1058, Failed to read from media - End of media.

>After re-installing to make sure that it knows about the card change, I
>looked on the Cheyenne technical site and found a document that
>recommends changing the SCSI transfer rate of the host adapter  to
>5Mb/s.

>I hope this will fix the problem, but I won't be able to try it until
>next week. Has anyone come across this error and fixed it before?

>...until then, it's CRC checks only!

>Regards,

>Iain

1. ArcServe won't recognise DAT after move to new SCSI card

Hi,

I have changed the SCSI cards in my server to allow me to put new hard
disks in. Previously, there was an Adaptec 2940 (narrow) card that drove
my HP DAT drive (and all the volumes...). I have replaced this with an
Adaptec 1542 card that has the DAT drive connected, and (temporarily) as
a couple of the old disks.

When Arcserve loads, it claims that it cannot find this tape drive. This
is the tapeserver log:

Mar 10 07:03:43  Loading TAPESVR.NLM, CHEYENNE release...
Mar 10 07:03:43  Scanning Board 0, ADAPTEC AHA-1x4x, Board Name = BOARD0
Mar 10 07:03:44     SCSIID 00: SEAGATE  ST31230N         0300  (Fixed
Disk)
Mar 10 07:03:44     SCSIID 01: QUANTUM  LIGHTNING 730S   241E  (Fixed
Disk)
Mar 10 07:03:44     SCSIID 02: QUANTUM  FIREBALL1280S    630G  (Fixed
Disk)
Mar 10 07:03:44     SCSIID 03: < No Device Present >
Mar 10 07:03:44     SCSIID 04: < No Device Present >
Mar 10 07:03:44     SCSIID 05: HP       C1533A           A612  (Tape
Drive)
Mar 10 07:03:45  E7027 Failed to locate any tape drives on Board
[BOARD0]
Mar 10 07:03:45  E7028 Group [ARCSERVE] failed to initialize properly
and will
Mar 10 07:03:45  STANDARD.NLM is loaded
Mar 10 07:03:47
Mar 10 07:03:47  E6916: No backup device was found by Tape Server

As you can see, the bus scan reveals the DAT device, but tape server
doesn't like it.

Anyone know what to do, or is it a reinstall job?

TIA,

Iain

2. Driver for PP scanners

3. Problem with Arcserve and a Compaq 12/24 DAT Drive

4. Unable to emit assembly: Referenced assembly 'Interop.ADOR' does not have a strong name

5. problems arcserve 4.x with HP 1537 DAT

6. Change SFTP home drives

7. Sony DAT drive problems. and Arcserve HELP

8. Digital Terminal Servers 8 Port only USD350

9. Arcserve & Sony SDT5000 DAT Problem

10. Compaq 12/24G DAT, Arcserve, and NW4.11

11. ArcServe/DAT tape full message

12. Arcserve and HP surestore DAT 24 GB

13. Arcserve 7 changer.dat