OT? - Font display problem

Post by No Spa » Fri, 09 May 2003 21:02:31

Client swears "I didn't do anything"       :-)

MAC G3 Notebook
OS 9.2.1
System font Helvetica displays as blocky and pixellated.
In MS Word 2001 - all fonts display blocky and pixellated.
All fonts print correctly.  Just look terrible on screen.
Documents not in error (proved in another machine to look OK)

The machine has a maximum of 177 fonts.  Mix of True Type, Open Type and
Postscript.

There is a copy of Extensis Suitcase 10 and to simplify things I simply
created a set of all 177 and turned them ALL on.  This flagged a couple of
conflicts which were resolved by eliminating conflicting fonts (backed up
and deleted) - No fix

Moved all fonts to SYSTEM - FONTS and removed Suitcase including making sure
all Suitcase Extensions disabled - no fix.

I'm stuck - any ideas?

TIA

Graeme

OT? - Font display problem

Post by tlsh.. » Fri, 09 May 2003 22:31:09

On Thu, 8 May 2003 08:02:31 -0400, "No Spam"

scribbled:

Quote:>MAC G3 Notebook
>OS 9.2.1
>System font Helvetica displays as blocky and pixellated.
>In MS Word 2001 - all fonts display blocky and pixellated.
>All fonts print correctly.  Just look terrible on screen.
>Documents not in error (proved in another machine to look OK)

Helvetica seems to be a pain in the *ss. I work with a machine that
can't keep Italics displayed properly. It keeps "disappearing". You
can see it in print, and it's there in the application, but it's
invisible on screen. Reinstalling restores it, and then soon after it
disappears again. It's only Helvetica; if I change to a different font
with Italics, I can see the text again. I would ditch it if it weren't
for the fact that the publication I'm working on uses ALL Helvetica!

So, anyway, is this machine prone to being shut down improperly?
That's the only thing I can think of with the machine I'm using, as I
see ATM Font Manager periodically saying something like "this machine
was not shut down properly...ATM will examine the fonts and fix blah
blah blah..." Unfortunately, I have no control over this as it seems
the electricity is irregular or something.

--
Therese Shellabarger / The Roving Reporter - Civis Mundi

1. OT: Outlook Express Memory Problem

I know this newsgroup isn't about OE, but I am starting to get repeated
crashing of OE with messages related to being out of memory.  I have tried
increasing the memory allocation to huge sizes and still this happens. Some
of the Identity Folders (where I think messages are kept on my computer) are
getting huge, but deleting old messages doesn't seem to shrink them.

Is this how MS forces me to buy the full-featured Outlook mail program?  If
there isn't a way to keep using this App, then I'd rather get a decent mail
program (I am not a MS fan, but I knew how to use this from my former life
as an engineer, when Company provided s/w).

Any recommendations for Macintosh mail programs? Or to fix my OE Memory
problem?

Thanks for any help or ideas.

- Mike Yanega
Bowfin Printworks
http://www.bowfinprintworks.com

2. Help - DDM job hangs at random

3. Postscript in MS Word display problems.

4. FS: Games, Cheap!

5. Font display problems in IE5 and Word97 (resent)

6. Hit Counter

7. Display problem - anti aliasing doesn't work

8. Have C-64 want to get it on the internet

9. Font display problems under NT4.0

10. Windows font display problems

11. Windows TrueType display problem

12. Display Problem