Kerning in FF Scala Italic

Post by Esmond Pit » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 13:33:41

I'm using FF Scala & FF Scala Italic. If I have a word in italic,
followed by a word in regular, the space between the words is much too
small, it almost disappears. Has anyone else had this problem or is it
just me? (I am using tight spacing, as little as em/6 on occasions.)

replies via e-mail too if possible.

TIA

EJP

Kerning in FF Scala Italic

Post by Armadill » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 17:27:00

Quote:> I'm using FF Scala & FF Scala Italic. If I have a word in italic,
> followed by a word in regular, the space between the words is much too
> small, it almost disappears. Has anyone else had this problem or is it
> just me? (I am using tight spacing, as little as em/6 on occasions.)

Usually italic characters extends out of the 'character space area' from the
right side. In this case the last character of the word in italic overlaps
following space character a bit and since the next character is upright the
space between two words look too small. The effect is even stronger with
tall last characters like 'd' or 'l'.
This happens with many other tpefaces as well but it depends on the design
and italic angle how strong the effect will be.

Correspondingly the space before the word in italic probably looks a bit
wider.

I think that too tight spacing always destroys legibility in body text. It
is sometimes justified as a way to save space but in most cases making the
type size 0.2 - 0.5 point smaller while keeping the optimal character
spacing works much better. Correct proportions between type size character
spacing and line spacing is the key to good body text.

Jukka