Graphite Font?

Post by Larry St. Aub » Mon, 27 Jun 1994 01:24:22

I've just purchased the Graphite font from AgfaType. However when I went to
install it on my Macintosh with the Font/DA mover all that was on the disk was
24 point black, bold, demi and light (plus the AFM files) The dealer said it
was a special font the will automatically adjust to the size I want. Is this
legit? Will a 12 point _be_ a 12 point from only a 24 point in the system

Graphite Font?

Post by Charles Wiltg » Mon, 27 Jun 1994 11:41:14

> I've just purchased the Graphite font from AgfaType. However when I went to
> install it on my Macintosh with the Font/DA mover all that was on the disk was
> 24 point black, bold, demi and light (plus the AFM files) The dealer said it
> was a special font the will automatically adjust to the size I want. Is this
> legit? Will a 12 point _be_ a 12 point from only a 24 point in the system

No prob.  More and more fonts (especially display-type fonts) are shipping
with, for example, only a 24-point bitmap.  This is mainly because font
renderers are usually "good enough".

--
Charles Wiltgen    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and

(INTP)              At night, the ice weasels come." - Nietzsche (Groening)
World Wide Web      http://www.mcs.net/~cwiltgen/home.html

Graphite Font?

Post by Henry McGilt » Tue, 28 Jun 1994 07:28:45

Quote:Aubin) writes:

    *  I've just purchased the Graphite font from AgfaType. However
    *  when I went to install it on my Macintosh with the Font/DA
    *  mover all that was on the disk was 24 point black, bold,
    *  demi and light (plus the AFM files) The dealer said it was
    *  a special font the will automatically adjust to the size
    *  I want. Is this legit? Will a 12 point _be_ a 12 point from
    *  only a 24 point in the system
Any chance you ended up with the Multiple Master version of Graphite?
That might account for the dealer's remarks about the font adjusting
to the size you need.  Be aware that you'll need SuperATM to deal
with Multiple Master fonts.

        ........  Henry

Graphite Font?

Post by David Lem » Wed, 29 Jun 1994 07:07:38

>Aubin) writes:

>    *  I've just purchased the Graphite font from AgfaType. However
>    *  when I went to install it on my Macintosh with the Font/DA
>    *  mover all that was on the disk was 24 point black, bold,
>    *  demi and light (plus the AFM files) The dealer said it was
>    *  a special font the will automatically adjust to the size
>    *  I want. Is this legit? Will a 12 point _be_ a 12 point from
>    *  only a 24 point in the system
>Any chance you ended up with the Multiple Master version of Graphite?
>That might account for the dealer's remarks about the font adjusting
>to the size you need.  Be aware that you'll need SuperATM to deal
>with Multiple Master fonts.

I wondered if anyone would bring that up. Graphite is available in two
flavors (what *does* graphite taste like, anyway?): a set of regular,
monomaster fonts from Agfa, and a multiple-master font from Adobe. Mr
St.Aubin's question contains the distinction. The multiple-master
version ships with nine preselected "primary" fonts, each of which has
a 10-point screenfont, so that's definitely not what he bought.

Actually you don't need SuperATM to run multiple-master fonts; it's
required only if you want to do font substitution with some
specially-made mm fonts that come with it. Any Mac ATM released in the
last couple years should do just fine, although newer is always nice.
The current version is 3.6, and something larger is imminent.

- David Lemon
  type nerd

Graphite Font?

Post by Jonathan A. Du » Thu, 30 Jun 1994 22:26:40

Quote:> I wondered if anyone would bring that up. Graphite is available in two
> flavors (what *does* graphite taste like, anyway?): a set of regular,
> monomaster fonts from Agfa, and a multiple-master font from Adobe. Mr
> St.Aubin's question contains the distinction. The multiple-master
> version ships with nine preselected "primary" fonts, each of which has
> a 10-point screenfont, so that's definitely not what he bought.

Actually, there is (or maybe *was*) a third flavor of Graphite.

It is from Monotype's Type Designers of the World grouping.  They released
it in the summer of 1993.

There were three widths available: regular, condensed, and extended. Each
width group made a separate package.  Unfortunately, lack of attention to
naming conventions really messes up Type Reunion (all the widths & weights
show up under the same name).  These only came with a Fontographer
generated 24 point bitmap.

I like the font, but was disappointed that the fonts weren't up to
standards that I've come to expect from Monotype's products (clean bitmaps
and good hinting).

Jon

--
Jonathan A. Duke
Boston College

1. Graphite Regular TTF

Graphite Regular ttf came with a old program that I bought a
number of years ago.

I still have the Graphite Light ttf but I can't find the
regular version of the font on any of my old software.

I can purchase the font for somewhere between $22 and $99
but it's not worth it to me as I'm using it for
non-commercial applications.

Any one know where I can get a free copy of this font?
--

me)

2. Help! LAN WIN 95 Security

3. need a font "graphite"

4. REPOST: "101 HARD FACTS ABOUT YEAR 2000". It's getting better, but I still need your input!!

5. ....chi ha il font GRAPHITE ???

6. FS: PAR With 500 Meg HD Must Sell

7. Futura, Tekton and/or Graphite - need

8. WANTED - GRAPHITE LIGHT ATT

9. REQ: Graphite family of fonts

10. Looking for updated Graphite Light ATT font

11. True Type Version of Graphite

12. POWER SPIKE! Fried Printer, font gone - Please HELP! (GRAPHITE LIGHT ATT)