Underlining Times Roman using bold but without BOLD underline

Underlining Times Roman using bold but without BOLD underline

Post by Jo Glav » Thu, 24 May 2001 00:08:22

Is there a way to get rid of bold underlining when bolding a font?  I
am still exploring the equation stuff, but finding that difficult
since the stuff that I would like underlined without the bold is also
part of a heading.  For example:

I.      Background
        A.        Name
        B.        Address
        C.        Telephone

If using Times Roman font and Heading 1 as my style and the content
"Background" needs to be both bolded and underlined, the document does
not look clean and smooth, but rather the composition becomes unstable
and heavy looking in appearance.

Underlining Times Roman using bold but without BOLD underline

Post by RSD9 » Thu, 24 May 2001 02:25:11

"... Heading 1 as my style ..."
Indicates that you are using a word processing program, such as Microsoft
Word. This is not really "a font issue," and you should probably be asking
the question in a newsgroup (or forum) for your word processor program.

[Hint: define a new "Style" with just the attributes you need.]

Quote:> Is there a way to get rid of bold underlining when bolding a font?  I

Post by Andreas H?fel » Thu, 24 May 2001 19:31:33

Quote:> Is there a way to get rid of bold underlining when bolding a font?

Yep. Don't use underlining in typeset material.
This is something for typewriters that have no
equivalent for bold type. It usually reveals the
typographical amateur.

Greetings
Andreas

--
To email me directly please use "Fontgrube" somewhere in
subject line. Other mails are spamblocked.

Post by Marek Willia » Thu, 24 May 2001 23:59:13

>>Is there a way to get rid of bold underlining when bolding a font?  I
>>am still exploring the equation stuff, but finding that difficult
>>since the stuff that I would like underlined without the bold is also
>>part of a heading.  For example:

>>I.      Background
>>        A.        Name
>>        B.        Address
>>        C.        Telephone

>>If using Times Roman font and Heading 1 as my style and the content
>>"Background" needs to be both bolded and underlined, the document does
>>not look clean and smooth, but rather the composition becomes unstable
>>and heavy looking in appearance.
>"... Heading 1 as my style ..."
>Indicates that you are using a word processing program, such as Microsoft
>Word. This is not really "a font issue," and you should probably be asking
>the question in a newsgroup (or forum) for your word processor program.

>[Hint: define a new "Style" with just the attributes you need.]

Defining a style won't help.

The only that I know will help is to use Ventura, or possibly TeX. No
word processor has the capability he needs.

The problem is that underlining is not a function of the font, but of
the operating system and printer driver. In Windows, the default
position of the underline is very close to the baseline. The default
is also to bold the underline if the font attribute is bold.

There exist system calls in Windows that an application programmer can
access to change these defaults. Practically none do. In Ventura,
however, you can specify the thickness of the underline and its
distance from the baseline. As far as I know Ventura is alone in this
capability (except maybe for TeX, but I'm not familiar with it). Even
Adobe's vaunted InDesign cannot do any more than the system default
for underlining.

There are possible workarounds. If the text you want underlined is
toward the top or the bottom of the paragraph, you can apply a
paragraph rule. With paragraph rules you can specify the offset from
the top or bottom of the paragraph, indents from right or left, and
the thickness of the rule. Using these settings you could make a rule
(by trial and error) that fit exactly under a word or phrase just the
way you want it. It's a kludge and a pain in the neck. If you later
add or delete some words from the paragraph the rule will no longer be
under the right words.

Another workaround would be to use WordArt to create a line of the
correct thickness and length. Place the line on the page as a graphic,
making sure that word wrap is set to off. Position it on the page
under the text. As with the first workaround, if you edit the text the
rule will no longer be in the right place.

You could also create a text frame and set its word wrap to off. Type
a lot of blank spaces in the frame and select them. Apply a very small
point size and leave bold attribute off. Then apply underlining to the
spaces. This will create an underline without any text above it.
Because the point size is small the underline will be thinner than
your normal text. Now position the frame over the text that you want
underlined.

Those are all the kludges I can think of in Word.

Don't reply to the e-mail address in the header. It's bogus. But
I read the newsgroup every day so post here.

Underlining Times Roman using bold but without BOLD underline

Post by Stew » Sat, 26 May 2001 13:24:26

Top post: Sorry, didn't want to snip.
Do you really want to underline? Underlining is for typewriters, italics are
for computers.
Otherwise use a different weight, say (font)Black or (font)Poster
This is the "easy" solution.

> [...]

> making sure that word wrap is set to off. Position it on the page
> under the text. As with the first workaround, if you edit the text the
> rule will no longer be in the right place.

> You could also create a text frame and set its word wrap to off. Type
> a lot of blank spaces in the frame and select them. Apply a very small
> point size and leave bold attribute off. Then apply underlining to the
> spaces. This will create an underline without any text above it.
> Because the point size is small the underline will be thinner than
> your normal text. Now position the frame over the text that you want
> underlined.

> Those are all the kludges I can think of in Word.

> Don't reply to the e-mail address in the header. It's bogus. But
> I read the newsgroup every day so post here.

Underlining Times Roman using bold but without BOLD underline

Post by Marek Willia » Mon, 28 May 2001 11:03:40

Quote:>Do you really want to underline? Underlining is for typewriters, italics are
>for computers.

Of course. We all know that underlining became the standard
alternative to indicate italics on typewriters, because typewriters
couldn't change the face (not until very recent times, anyway).

But if you look at books, magazines and newspapers typeset back in the
1800s before typewriters even existed, you do see occasional use of
underlining. Underlining has its place in traditional typography.
Admittedly it is a limited place, but there are occasions when italics
are wrong and nothing else will do but an underline.

Don't reply to the e-mail address in the header. It's bogus. But
I read the newsgroup every day so post here.

1. sans bold, sans Italic & sans underlined

I'm looking for the ttf 'sans bold', 'sans italic' & 'sans
underlined'. I already have sans regular. Unfortunately Coreldraw
can't convert this font to the fonts above. I don't understand why,
because MS-Word doesn't seem to have any problem with converting it to
bold, italic or underlined. However, Coreldraw needs another ttf. Can
you help me?

Thanks!

Jeroen

2. HELP! How to arrange icons ?

3. Bold-underline problem

4. Routing and multiple IPSec VPNs

5. Times Roman and Times Bold

6. Arithmetic Coding

7. Mac -> PC font replacement: myriad roman / myriad bold / eurostyle bold

8. CWPro6.3 and MacOS 9 - X Package creation

9. Strange entry in font: Times New Roman PS MT - Bold Italic

10. Frutiger Roman & Frutiger Roman Bold

11. Times Ten Roman vs. Times Roman

12. Times-Roman vs New Times Roman