Who sells Times Ten Cyrillic A for PC?

Post by George Fowle » Fri, 13 Apr 2001 08:14:24

Greetings!

I'm a Mac user trying to advise a colleague who uses Windows. He needs a
high-quality Cyrillic font including stressed vowels, for a publishing
project. Stressed vowels are not in the standard Cyrillic font encoding
for either Windows or Mac. The fonts he has available do not have true
italics, and so are unsuitable for the project. For my Mac I have Adobe
Times Ten Cyrillic, and from somewhere I also have Times Ten Cyrillic A.
This font matches the former perfectly, but adds stressed vowels and
some other goodies at the cost of losing the English letters. The latter
has normal Adobe icons, but it doesn't seem to be available from Adobe.
I have looked at their type catalog on their www site, and have called
Eyewire (recommended as a vendor on their www site), who acted like I
was crazy. Perhaps this is one of those fonts available from Linotype or
someone else. I've always been very confused by font licensing.

Anyway, does anyone know where Times Ten Cyrillic A can be purchased??

Thanks in advance for any information!

George Fowler

Who sells Times Ten Cyrillic A for PC?

Post by Tim Murra » Fri, 13 Apr 2001 10:51:00

I would take a shot at Linotype, the holders of the 'Times' trademark

Who sells Times Ten Cyrillic A for PC?

Post by RSD9 » Fri, 13 Apr 2001 13:00:14

Both Adobe and Linotype sell "Times Ten Cyrillic" in four versions, but not
the "A" variation (it probably stands for "Alternates," or something like
that).

Here are a couple of additional resources that may help.

Luc Devorye's Cyrillic Fonts page
http://cgm.cs.mcgill.ca/~luc/cyrillic.html

Dr. Berlin's Foreign Font Archive
http://user.dtcc.edu/~berlin/fonts.html

HTH

PS -

(1) Why don't you look "inside" the Times Ten Cyrillic A font that you have?
It may have a copyright or vendor name somewhere in the font.

(2) Why don't you just convert your Mac font to PC and use that? Crossfont,
Transtype, Fontographer, or FontLab should be able to do that fairly easily.

- - - - -

Post by George Fowle » Fri, 13 Apr 2001 17:59:10

> Both Adobe and Linotype sell "Times Ten Cyrillic" in four versions, but
> not
> the "A" variation (it probably stands for "Alternates," or something like
> that).
> (1) Why don't you look "inside" the Times Ten Cyrillic A font that you
> have?
> It may have a copyright or vendor name somewhere in the font.

How do I do this? ResEdit?

Quote:> (2) Why don't you just convert your Mac font to PC and use that?
> Crossfont,
> Transtype, Fontographer, or FontLab should be able to do that fairly
> easily.

It is my impression that opening a commercial font in Fontographer to
modify it (I have tried this in the past, but don't actually *own* the
program, just having picked it up somewhere, and have no manual etc.)
loses any hinting built into the font. Since this book project involves
a lot of tiny font sizes, this seems undesirable. Do any of the
cross-platform conversion utilities retain hinting, i.e., keep all the
information in the font to begin with? Also, aren't there substantial
metric differences when going from one platform to the other, due at
least to the difference in screen resolution?

Please excuse my ignorance.

George Fowler

Post by G-A » Fri, 13 Apr 2001 22:39:33

>Greetings!

>I'm a Mac user trying to advise a colleague who uses Windows. He needs a
>high-quality Cyrillic font including stressed vowels, for a publishing
>project. Stressed vowels are not in the standard Cyrillic font encoding
>for either Windows or Mac. The fonts he has available do not have true
>italics, and so are unsuitable for the project. For my Mac I have Adobe
>Times Ten Cyrillic, and from somewhere I also have Times Ten Cyrillic A.
>This font matches the former perfectly, but adds stressed vowels and
>some other goodies at the cost of losing the English letters. The latter
>has normal Adobe icons, but it doesn't seem to be available from Adobe.
>I have looked at their type catalog on their www site, and have called
>Eyewire (recommended as a vendor on their www site), who acted like I
>was crazy. Perhaps this is one of those fonts available from Linotype or
>someone else. I've always been very confused by font licensing.

>Anyway, does anyone know where Times Ten Cyrillic A can be purchased??

Linotype should have them. I don't know why it does not show
up on their web page, but Lino Gold 6.0 CD being uploaded
in abf right now has this:

ttzb____.pfb    Times 10 Cyrillic A Bold
ttzbi___.pfb    Times 10 Cyrillic A Bold Inclined
ttzi____.pfb    Times 10 Cyrillic A Inclined
ttzu____.pfb    Times 10 Cyrillic A Uprihgt
ttyb____.pfb    Times Ten Cyrillic Bold
ttybi___.pfb    Times Ten Cyrillic Bold Inclined
ttyi____.pfb    Times Ten Cyrillic Inclined
ttyu____.pfb    Times Ten Cyrillic Upright

Who sells Times Ten Cyrillic A for PC?

Post by RSD9 » Fri, 13 Apr 2001 22:59:56

Sorry ... can't help you very much ... I'm PC-only.

However, opening the font in Fontographer *will* allow you to view the "Font
Information" fields. There you can probably find the original "Foundry" that
furnished your copy.

Element
Font Info ...

Post by Paul Gorodyansk » Sat, 14 Apr 2001 03:30:31

> Greetings!

> I'm a Mac user trying to advise a colleague who uses Windows. He needs a
> high-quality Cyrillic font including stressed vowels, for a publishing
> project. Stressed vowels are not in the standard Cyrillic font encoding
> for either Windows or Mac. The fonts he has available do not have true
> italics, and so are unsuitable for the project.

For PC/Windows:
I have a link to a page with free Cyrillic fonts with stressed vowels, though
I never used them myself, so I don't know if they support true italics:
http://www.eff.co.uk/W/Cyr.htm

Here are couple more famous sites with special Cyrillic fonts:
http://www.d-s.ru/ and its sub-site http://vedi.d-s.ru/
http://home.onego.ru/users/diai/di_home/ttf_95/products.htm

--
Regards,
Paul Gorodyansky

Who sells Times Ten Cyrillic A for PC?

Post by Louis Voslo » Mon, 23 Apr 2001 20:25:18

Sounds like this "A" font is a special made version not commericially available.

Assuming the font license permits this your best bet might be to convert it to
IBM PC/Windows format

http://www.yandy.com/products.htm#FMP

http://www.YandY.com/unique.htm

Who sells Times Ten Cyrillic A for PC?

Post by Eugene Sorense » Thu, 26 Apr 2001 01:54:01

Our Cyrillic II product follows code page 1251 but adds the stress
marks and keeps the English (ASCII). It is provided in both TrueType
and Type 1. See http://www.linguistsoftware.com/c2.htm. It is also
available for the Mac, and we have a Mac utility for converting files
between the Windows cp 1251 and Macintosh Cyrillic character sets. See
http://www.linguistsoftware.com/cplatfrm.htm.

Hope this helps,
Gene
Linguist's Software

> > I'm a Mac user trying to advise a colleague who uses Windows. He
needs a
> > high-quality Cyrillic font including stressed vowels, for a
publishing
> > project. Stressed vowels are not in the standard Cyrillic font
encoding
> > for either Windows or Mac. The fonts he has available do not have
true
> > italics, and so are unsuitable for the project. For my Mac I have
Adobe
> > Times Ten Cyrillic, and from somewhere I also have Times Ten
Cyrillic A.
> > This font matches the former perfectly, but adds stressed vowels
and
> > some other goodies at the cost of losing the English letters. The
latter
> > has normal Adobe icons, but it doesn't seem to be available from
Adobe.
> > I have looked at their type catalog on their www site, and have
called
> > Eyewire (recommended as a vendor on their www site), who acted
like I
> > was crazy. Perhaps this is one of those fonts available from
Linotype or
> > someone else. I've always been very confused by font licensing.

> --
> http://www.YandY.com/unique.htm

1. Adobe Times Ten Cyrillic font

A friend of mine purchased Adobe Times Ten Cyrillic fonts for Mac, wrote a
series of documents using them, and then sent them to me for editing.  I,
however, have a PC and don't have a cyrillic font with equivalent codepage
assignments.  I've used a freeware program that translates the Mac fonts
(suffix AFM) to PC fonts (suffix PFM) but am still unable to install the
fonts--Windows font manager claims they aren't really fonts.  Does anyone
know of an equivalent true type font or a way to import these fonts into
Windows?  Thanks for whatever help you can offer.

Paul

2. Amiga Sale

3. Times Ten Roman vs. Times Roman

4. Patents on Ari-coding

5. WANTED: TIMES TEN ROMAN FOR WINDOWS

6. formal language theory question

7. Times Ten Roman

8. Announce: MIDI Library for Solaris + Midiator MS-124W

9. conversion of cyrillic PC-docs to cyrillic Mac-docs?

10. Mac Zone/PC Zone sells stolen typedesigns, Boycott

11. Times, Helvetica, Arial, Dutch, Swiss, Univers, CG Times, Times New

12. Times New Roman Cyr (Cyrillic) font --Where???