Is there Times New Roman version of Arial Unicode MS

Is there Times New Roman version of Arial Unicode MS

Post by Carfield Yi » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 18:43:48



I would like to ask if there any Times New Roman clone of Arial Unicode
MS, which contain Chinese, Japanese and Korean Character, but the
English and other western font are in Times New Roman style, is the
market have anything like this?
 
 
 

Is there Times New Roman version of Arial Unicode MS

Post by Josef W. Segu » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 09:10:23



>I would like to ask if there any Times New Roman clone of Arial Unicode
>MS, which contain Chinese, Japanese and Korean Character, but the
>English and other western font are in Times New Roman style, is the
>market have anything like this?

--
                                                   Joe

 
 
 

Is there Times New Roman version of Arial Unicode MS

Post by Josef W. Segu » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 09:22:53



>I would like to ask if there any Times New Roman clone of Arial Unicode
>MS, which contain Chinese, Japanese and Korean Character, but the
>English and other western font are in Times New Roman style, is the
>market have anything like this?

Bitstream *bit is a Serif font similar to Times New Roman, and has
coverage of the CJK scripts similar to Arial Unicode MS. At one time
it was offered free by Bitstream, but they no longer have it. It is
available elsewhere on the internet, though.

--
                                                   Joe

 
 
 

Is there Times New Roman version of Arial Unicode MS

Post by Alan Wo » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 18:13:24



> I would like to ask if there any Times New Roman clone of Arial Unicode
> MS, which contain Chinese, Japanese and Korean Character, but the
> English and other western font are in Times New Roman style, is the
> market have anything like this?

You could try the free Bitstream *bit font, available here:

<ftp://ftp.netscape.com/pub/communicator/extras/fonts/windows/>

It is a serif font, and includes Latin, Cyrillic and Greek characters
as well as CJK.

--
Alan Wood
http://www.veryComputer.com/ (Unicode, special characters, pesticide names)

 
 
 

Is there Times New Roman version of Arial Unicode MS

Post by Andrew Stephens » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 01:49:02




Quote:> You could try the free Bitstream *bit font, available here:

> <ftp://ftp.netscape.com/pub/communicator/extras/fonts/windows/>

> It is a serif font, and includes Latin, Cyrillic and Greek
> characters as well as CJK.

Useful pointer.  Thanks.  On the OS/2 IBM Web Browser 1.1, based
on Mozilla, which has some font sizing issues (eg, I have to tell
it the screen resolution is 191 dpi, instead of 85, or text shows
greeked), it looks slightly awkward but definitely good enough to
use.  The extra symbols are a reassuring reserve.

BTW, with OS/2 Warp 4's Java IBM were giving away a Unicode font
called MT30 ("Times New Roman MT30").  It is huge, almost 22MB,
was from Monotype who called it a "combined" font and basically
was Times.  Contrasting it with *bit, I have to say *bit
wins on appearance.  I don't know whether to bother keeping MT30,
except maybe for versality.  Have you any information?
--
Andrew Stephenson

 
 
 

Is there Times New Roman version of Arial Unicode MS

Post by Alan Wo » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 18:03:10



> with OS/2 Warp 4's Java IBM were giving away a Unicode font
> called MT30 ("Times New Roman MT30").  It is huge, almost 22MB,
> was from Monotype who called it a "combined" font and basically
> was Times.  Contrasting it with *bit, I have to say *bit
> wins on appearance.  I don't know whether to bother keeping MT30,
> except maybe for versality.  Have you any information?

Sorry, I have not heard of it before.  I try to maintain lists of free
and cheap Unicode fonts on my Web site - you may find some other
suitable fonts else there.

--
Alan Wood
http://www.veryComputer.com/ (Unicode, special characters, pesticide names)

 
 
 

Is there Times New Roman version of Arial Unicode MS

Post by Andrew Stephens » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 00:20:10






> > with OS/2 Warp 4's Java IBM were giving away a Unicode font
> > called MT30 ("Times New Roman MT30").  It is huge, almost 22MB,
> > was from Monotype who called it a "combined" font and basically
> > was Times.  Contrasting it with *bit, I have to say *bit
> > wins on appearance.  I don't know whether to bother keeping MT30,
> > except maybe for versality.  Have you any information?

> Sorry, I have not heard of it before.  I try to maintain lists of free
> and cheap Unicode fonts on my Web site - you may find some other
> suitable fonts else there.

> [...]
> http://www.veryComputer.com/ (Unicode, special characters, pesticide names)

Okay, thanks.  Am hoping to inspect your lists.

"Pesticide names" -- <g>.  Good name for a typeface: spiky, loads
of attitude, dangerous-looking; available in
     Pesticide Regular
     Pesticide Double-Strength
     Pesticide Green
--
Andrew Stephenson

 
 
 

Is there Times New Roman version of Arial Unicode MS

Post by Carfield Y » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 02:24:28




> > with OS/2 Warp 4's Java IBM were giving away a Unicode font
> > called MT30 ("Times New Roman MT30").  It is huge, almost 22MB,
> > was from Monotype who called it a "combined" font and basically
> > was Times.  Contrasting it with *bit, I have to say *bit
> > wins on appearance.  I don't know whether to bother keeping MT30,
> > except maybe for versality.  Have you any information?

> Sorry, I have not heard of it before.  I try to maintain lists of free
> and cheap Unicode fonts on my Web site - you may find some other
> suitable fonts else there.

Thx all input! Actually I am not looking for free font at first, it
just great to know there is freely avaliable unicode Times font
 
 
 

1. Times-Roman vs New Times Roman

One difference between some versions of Times Roman
and some versions of Times New Roman (not New Times
Roman) that I have noticed is that the f in the
Monotype-based versions will, naturally, have a
slightly greater overhang. But surely it is time
for someone to make a careful analysis of all of
the important digital versions of TNR and TR
available? Not forgetting the TNR in "SuperFont"
format which shipped at some point with some
versions of Monotype's type manipulation utility.
Bill.

2. Urgent! Need more info + drivers for SONY CDU31A-LL

3. Times, Helvetica, Arial, Dutch, Swiss, Univers, CG Times, Times New

4. John Steele to speak in Colorado Machine Learning series

5. HELP: Arial and Times New Roman Missing

6. Create empty file

7. Acrobat 4.0 has Arial and Times New Roman

8. CFP: 5th USENIX UNIX Security Symposium

9. Times New Roman font, postscript version wanted

10. CG Times & Times New Roman

11. Times Ten Roman vs. Times Roman

12. Times New Roman vs. Courier New

13. MS Arial Unicode