middle age font found

Post by Jona » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 05:18:09

Hi,
Jonas again, the one who asked for the font. Thanks a lot for all the
answers, especially to "aschliesser" who has sent me this link which
solved all my problems:
http://www.mediaevum.de/haupt6.htm
(unfortunately, I'm not able to create a hyperlink in an e-mail...
Anyway, this i not a question ;-)

Greetings
Jonas

middle age font found

Post by Alan J. Flavel » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 06:02:09

On Mon, Jul 14, Jonas inscribed on the eternal scroll:

Quote:> Jonas again, the one who asked for the font. Thanks a lot for all the
> answers, especially to "aschliesser" who has sent me this link which
> solved all my problems:
> http://www.mediaevum.de/haupt6.htm

Judging by what the ListFont utility shows in its Unicode display for
this font, I would anticipate problems with any specification-
conforming software.  (Paging A.Prilop?  I'm no expert in these
things).

For example at the position U+0161 (latin small letter s with caron,
says unicode) I see a large W with an overbar.  At 017E, I see a small
o with ogonek, which ought to be at 01EB.  And so on.

Quote:> (unfortunately, I'm not able to create a hyperlink in an e-mail...

In a plain-text usenet posting, it's the job of the client software to
work that out (there's a delimiter convention using < > shown in the
URI RFCs, but unfortunately not too widely supported in client
software).

Quote:> Anyway, this i not a question ;-)

Anyway, this is some kind of an answer ;-))

all the best

middle age font found

Post by Andreas Prilo » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 06:21:14

Quote:>> http://www.mediaevum.de/haupt6.htm

> Judging by what the ListFont utility shows in its Unicode display for
> this font, I would anticipate problems with any specification-
> conforming software.

 http://www.mediaevum.de/mhd/mediaevum.gif

Hopeless!

--
http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/plonk.txt

middle age font found

Post by Alan J. Flavel » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 21:41:08

On Mon, Jul 14, Andreas Prilop inscribed on the eternal scroll:

Quote:> Hopeless!

I don't really understand what I'm seeing when viewing so-called
"SYmbol" fonts - clarification, please?

I'm using H. Eichmann's ListFont utility.

If I inspect the "Symbol" font itself, then the symbols occupy the
code points x20 to xFF (this is, effectively, a private character
encoding, OK), and also appear in the Private Use Area starting at
xF020.

The rest of the Unicode space appears to be unoccupied.  So far, so
good: the font presumably doesn't bother to specify the correct
Unicode code points of those "Symbol-font" characters which have
proper public Unicode assignments, I guess.

However, if I inspect the fonts Wingdings, Webdings, or other fonts
which claim to be "Symbol" fonts, then ListFont shows occasional
characters scattered through the public part of the Unicode code
space, BUT these characters are not the correct Unicode characters for
those code points.  I'm NOT just talking about the 8-bit range x20 to
xFF, but for example, at x0152 (ligature OE) I see a motorcyclist, at
x2021 "double dagger" I'm seeing a ski-er, and so on.

What's the point of that, if I might ask?

(So, this font that's currently under discussion seems to be following
the same old pre-Unicode tradition.)

middle age font found

Post by Andrew Stephens » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 22:30:47

Quote:> On Mon, Jul 14, Andreas Prilop inscribed on the eternal scroll:

> > Hopeless!

> I don't really understand what I'm seeing when viewing
> so-called "SYmbol" fonts - clarification, please?

> [observations on fonts not conforming to Unicode mappings]

> What's the point of that, if I might ask?

> (So, this font that's currently under discussion seems to be
> following the same old pre-Unicode tradition.)

I think you have your finger on the reason, right there.  Many of
these fonts may be pre-Unicode, or pre-Unicode-becoming-popular.

"Wingdings", for example, IIRC dates from the early 1990s, when
Unicode was still one of those "eh?" ideas only a few folk knew
and/or cared about.

In older times, a WP package might only have had ready access to
codepoints 0x20..0xFF, necessitating their re-application when a
symbol font was used.

Those are my guesses, at least.
--
Andrew Stephenson

middle age font found

Post by Alan J. Flavel » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 22:51:42

On Tue, Jul 15, Andrew Stephenson inscribed on the eternal scroll:

Quote:> > (So, this font that's currently under discussion seems to be
> > following the same old pre-Unicode tradition.)

> I think you have your finger on the reason, right there.  Many of
> these fonts may be pre-Unicode, or pre-Unicode-becoming-popular.

Oh, quite.  Which was why I wasn't in the least surprised to find the
Unicode space (I mean, above 0xFF) unpopulated, aside from the private
use area, in the "Symbol" font itself.

Quote:> "Wingdings", for example, IIRC dates from the early 1990s, when
> Unicode was still one of those "eh?" ideas only a few folk knew
> and/or cared about.

> In older times, a WP package might only have had ready access to
> codepoints 0x20..0xFF, necessitating their re-application when a
> symbol font was used.

But that's exactly why I was puzzled, i.e that was meant to be the
motive for my question: what's the idea of having a few of the *dings
scattered around - at the _wrong_ public Unicode code points?

(Or am I seeing some unexpected artefact of the diagnostic tool that
I'm using?).

cheers