Font display problems in IE5 and Word97 (resent)

Post by Louis Voslo » Sat, 17 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Font display problems in IE5 and Word97

> I'm using a set of TrueType fonts to reproduce early modern typesetting - JSL
> Ancient, JSL Ancient Italic, and JSL Blackletter. They display fine in Netscape
> but fail on a subset of characters in IE5 and Word97. Is this fixable? Can
> somebody advise me on what I need to do?
> For an example, see my page
> http://www.veryComputer.com/*/EarlyModern/My_wife_will_be.html

Well, it is displaying exactly as expected.  You are using some
character codes
(like 144) that are not in Windows ANSI encoding, and some character
codes that
correspond to characters other than what you expect (character code 134
is dagger).

No doubt these character codes mean something in the *NON-TEXT* font
called
"JSL Blackletter." Since we don't have that font we don't see what you
are expecting.

Moral: If you want to preserve the exact look, use Acrobat PDF, not
HTML.
And make sure that Distiller embeds the "JSL Blackletter" font.

--

Post by Louis Voslo » Mon, 19 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Font display problems in IE5 and Word97

> I'm using a set of TrueType fonts to reproduce early modern typesetting - JSL
> Ancient, JSL Ancient Italic, and JSL Blackletter. They display fine in Netscape
> but fail on a subset of characters in IE5 and Word97. Is this fixable? Can
> somebody advise me on what I need to do?

> For an example, see my page
> http://www.veryComputer.com/*/EarlyModern/My_wife_will_be.html

I looked at the fonts you used and there are two comments.

(1) One is that they have
extra characters not found in typical text fonts.  Some in character codes
not used in Windows ANSI.  The file you created therefore will only display
correctly when you use those same fonts.

(2) The fonts also (at least the Type 1 versions) are incorrectly marked as text
fonts.
This means they will be reencoded to Windows ANSI and you will lose access
to those other characters anyway.  In addition several misnamed glyphs will
be moved around or disappear.

The fonts need to be marked "pi/symbol/math/decorative" to prevent reencoding
to Windows ANSI.  And then you need to supply the fonts along with the text.

Of course, the best way to do this is with Acrobat PDF, *not* HTML.

1. Times New Roman comes up SYMBOL in IE5

I am getting a font substitution (apparently only in IE5.0 and on a Liquid Motion Header) in which Times New Roman is coming up as Symbol (the Greek alphabet). If anyone has any ideas on how to resolve this, I would sure appreciate your email.

The problem arose as I was removing unused fonts. I did not remove or alter Times New Roman, or Symbol, but they seem to be interacting, and only in this IE5/LM environment. I have seen it only on my home page, where the banner is Greek, but only to me (yah, I know, It's Greek to me ...), while others get it as it is supposed to be.

Thanks in advance to any helpful souls out there.

--

STEVEN SOHN
39 Wellington Court, Brooklyn, NY 11230-2423

2. Lotus Smart Suite 4.0 for Win 3.1: Is it good for OS/2?

3. OT? - Font display problem

4. Attaching a table in Access via Objects for OLE

5. Postscript in MS Word display problems.

6. Sharing data with Co-Pilot

7. Suggestions for on-screen fonts ins small sizes

8. Problemas con Ethernet. AYUDA!!!

9. Display problem - anti aliasing doesn't work

10. Font display problems under NT4.0

11. Questions on macros/add-ins & fonts

12. Word 97 Add-Ins