Postscript in MS Word display problems.

Post by Fred » Thu, 23 Jan 2003 20:03:00

If I use a postscript-based opentype font in Word and attempt to type any
character outside the Western European character set (e.g. cacute), the font
reverts to T.N.R., Arial or Courier New (I presume depending on Panose
information).

The fonts contain the glyphs, and if I apply the font to text after typing
it displays correctly, but it's obviously irritating to have Word change
font whilst typing.

This applies both with 'proper' fonts and ones I've made in Fontlab. TTFs
and TTF-based Opentype fonts work fine.

Any ideas why this happens, and how it can be stopped?

Postscript in MS Word display problems.

Post by Fred » Thu, 23 Jan 2003 20:08:15

By the way:
Windows XP
Office XP

Post by Andreas Prilo » Thu, 23 Jan 2003 21:25:24

> If I use a postscript-based opentype font in Word and attempt to type any
> character outside the Western European character set (e.g. cacute), the font
> reverts to T.N.R., Arial or Courier New (I presume depending on Panose
> information).
> The fonts contain the glyphs,

Does the 'OS/2' table include the necessary information about supported
character sets and code pages?
 <http://www.eu.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/os2.htm>
 <http://www.eu.microsoft.com/typography/unicode/cscp.htm>

--
Top posting.
What's the most irritating thing on Usenet?

Postscript in MS Word display problems.

Post by Fred » Fri, 24 Jan 2003 02:42:40

Quote:> Does the 'OS/2' table include the necessary information about supported
> character sets and code pages?
>  <http://www.eu.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/os2.htm>
>  <http://www.eu.microsoft.com/typography/unicode/cscp.htm>

Codepages and Unicode ranges have been set in the Font Info dialogue of
Fontlab (4.5). The problematic characters work if the font is exported as a
TTF with no other changes made.

But as the problem also occurs with fonts such as Adobe Garamond Pro and
Myriad Pro, and I imagine the codepages and Unicode in these fonts are set
up correctly, then I suppose it's MS Word at fault. Simpler apps like
WordPad, Notepad don't have a problem. Word's obviously just trying to be
helpful, but being anything but.

1. Word Wrap problem in MS-Word 97

I am using Fontographer v3.5.2 (I know it's old but don't have $$$ to
upgrade.) and have created only two fonts.  They work great in
everything BUT Word!  When I try to use them, they don't "Word Wrap"
properly.  The words are cut-off in the middle.

Example:

This is what MicroSoft Word does to my te
xt as I type it and it makes me really ma
d!!!

Anyone know what the problem is?  Keep in mind that I don't know a ton
about Fontographer yet and it may just be something stupid I forgot to
set.

                             Shawn Dowler

                     http://members.home.net/shawn

2. UDO in English via FTP

3. farsi language, numbers typing problem in ms-word

4. Need help setting SCSI CDROM jumpers

5. Word 97 Add-Ins

6. PSI WIn 2.2 or HIGHER

7. New font for TeX in RedHat 3.03

8. Strange problem with a font in MS Word Symbol window

9. MS-Word kerning problem solved

10. NEED Word Perfect and MS Word file formats

11. word randomly changes display font?

12. MS Sans Serif 9pt display ???