Word XP: highlighting text, suddenly text below it turns into strange font boxes

Word XP: highlighting text, suddenly text below it turns into strange font boxes

Post by Joh » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 07:49:32

Is this a Word XP behavior or a virus situation? The font boxes aren't
a strange font language. It created the boxes on its own.

Word XP: highlighting text, suddenly text below it turns into strange font boxes

Post by RSD9 » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:59:54

First ... what application that you are using? It DOES make a difference.

Second ... this sounds like a video driver issue, particularly if you are using Micro$loth
Pub$lasher ... have you checked the video adopter manufacturer's web site and updated to
the most current driver for Windows XP?

Quote:> Is this a Word XP behavior or a virus situation? The font boxes aren't
> a strange font language. It created the boxes on its own.

Word XP: highlighting text, suddenly text below it turns into strange font boxes

Post by Winston Winstanley Stanle » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 11:52:15

Possibly a font substitution problem. I font is being requested which is not
installed so another font is being used for the display. Alas, the
substituted font does not have the glyphs being requested so you are getting
the "sorry-no can do" box.

Other problems can produce the result. A fairly frequent one is a corrupt or
non-matching printer driver. RDS99 mentions that one.

Give us a few more details and someone might be able to give better
suggestions.

In the meantime, check to be sure a good copy the font(s) being used is/are
installed on the system. Try removing and reinstalling a fresh copy of the
printer driver.

Quote:> Is this a Word XP behavior or a virus situation? The font boxes aren't
> a strange font language. It created the boxes on its own.

Word XP: highlighting text, suddenly text below it turns into strange font boxes

Post by Andreas H?fel » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 18:22:53

Quote:> First ... what application that you are using? It DOES make a difference.

> Second ... this sounds like a video driver issue...

I take it you understood his problem? I didn't. (Of course
I have the usual wild guesses.)

Andreas