Mac -> PC font replacement: myriad roman / myriad bold / eurostyle bold

Mac -> PC font replacement: myriad roman / myriad bold / eurostyle bold

Post by Tany » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 12:54:37

Hi!

I need to find close replacements for the following Mac fonts:

*myriad roman
*myriad bold
*eurostyle bold

I'd really appreciate it if someone could suggest a resource (list?)
for me to find the correct PC fonts to replace the above 3 Mac fonts.

Thanks!
Tanya

Post by Lars Trebin » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 00:18:42

> I need to find close replacements for the following Mac fonts:

> *myriad roman

Myriad Roman.

Quote:> *myriad bold

Myriad Bold.

Quote:> *eurostyle bold

(I suppose you're talking of Eurost*i*le:) Eurostile Bold.

Quote:> I'd really appreciate it if someone could suggest a resource (list?)
> for me to find the correct PC fonts to replace the above 3 Mac fonts.

There is nothing like "Mac fonts" and "PC fonts". Virtually every font
exists both in Mac and in Windows format.

--

Post by Ala » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 01:33:26

> I need to find close replacements for the following Mac fonts:

> *myriad roman
> *myriad bold
> *eurostyle bold

> I'd really appreciate it if someone could suggest a resource (list?)
> for me to find the correct PC fonts to replace the above 3 Mac fonts.

Actually, you can use the exact same fonts on PCs. These are all Adobe
fonts, you can buy them. Or if you already have the Mac fonts, use
Crossfont from <www.asy.com> to convert them. Make sure you read the
instructions in the help and include the metrics (bitmaps on Macs) too
for kerning.

Post by Lars Trebin » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 03:14:42

> [...] and include the metrics (bitmaps on Macs) too for kerning.

Ouch! Metrics and bitmaps are two completely different things and have
absolutely nothing in common.

--

Post by Ala » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 12:54:44

> > [...] and include the metrics (bitmaps on Macs) too for kerning.

> Ouch! Metrics and bitmaps are two completely different things and have
> absolutely nothing in common.

On Macs (Mac OS, pre-OSX anyway) the metrics and at least one set of
screen fonts) are in the same file, commonly with a .bmp suffix.

The old DOS utility "bmp2afm" extracts AFMs from these. The current
Windows Crossfont integrates this along with outline conversion.

Many people converting Mac fonts to PC format ignore these and thus
the number of fonts floating around with no kerning.

1. Underlining Times Roman using bold but without BOLD underline

Is there a way to get rid of bold underlining when bolding a font?  I
am still exploring the equation stuff, but finding that difficult
since the stuff that I would like underlined without the bold is also
part of a heading.  For example:

I.      Background
        A.        Name
        B.        Address
        C.        Telephone

If using Times Roman font and Heading 1 as my style and the content
"Background" needs to be both bolded and underlined, the document does
not look clean and smooth, but rather the composition becomes unstable
and heavy looking in appearance.

2. Voice and Video [advice needed please]

3. need eurostyle extended bold for pc

4. MIDI software compatible with MacII?

5. >>>>Looking for Technical/Tekton BOLD<<<<

6. 2 IIgs questions - please help

7. myriad roman

8. REQ: myriad roman

9. Req. Engschrift and Myriad Roman

10. Frutiger Roman & Frutiger Roman Bold

11. REQ: Myriad Pro font family needed for PC

12. Looking for Myriad.ttf for PC