Quark on PC prints Courier -why?

Post by Jim? » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 02:21:23

Quark 5.01 on Win98SE (ATM 4.1) substitutes Courier for one font when
printing. Font looks OK on screen and in PDF if made. Tried different PS
printers using manufacturer and Adobe PS drivers but still Courier. Using
the same font in PageMaker on the same PC prints fine. Any ideas? Thanks.

Quark on PC prints Courier -why?

Post by Ken Shar » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 02:53:40

Quote:> Quark 5.01 on Win98SE (ATM 4.1) substitutes Courier for one font when
> printing. Font looks OK on screen and in PDF if made. Tried different PS
> printers using manufacturer and Adobe PS drivers but still Courier. Using
> the same font in PageMaker on the same PC prints fine. Any ideas? Thanks.

Is it a TrueType font ? If so, it may not be possible to embed it (this
requires the application to pay attention to the embedding flag, which
Adobe drivers and appplications do).

The PDF file may not contain the font, but may synthesise an
approximation. Check out which fonts are embedded and which are actually
used in the font dialog in Acrobat.

Quark on PC prints Courier -why?

Post by Jim? » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 05:42:02

It is a PS font, so should be available to the printer(s). I will check to
see if it's actually in the PDF, thanks.

> > Quark 5.01 on Win98SE (ATM 4.1) substitutes Courier for one font when
> > printing. Font looks OK on screen and in PDF if made. Tried different PS
> > printers using manufacturer and Adobe PS drivers but still Courier.
Using
> > the same font in PageMaker on the same PC prints fine. Any ideas?
Thanks.

> Is it a TrueType font ? If so, it may not be possible to embed it (this
> requires the application to pay attention to the embedding flag, which
> Adobe drivers and appplications do).

> The PDF file may not contain the font, but may synthesise an
> approximation. Check out which fonts are embedded and which are actually
> used in the font dialog in Acrobat.

Quark on PC prints Courier -why?

Post by Ken Shar » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 16:20:51

Quote:> It is a PS font, so should be available to the printer(s). I will check to
> see if it's actually in the PDF, thanks.

Well, the only other thing I can think of is that Quark may not
understand the font type, and therefore may not be able to embed it. Is
it a Multiple Master ? CFF format ?

Quark on PC prints Courier -why?

Post by Ken Shar » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 18:11:31

Quote:> FWIW:
> PostScript printers are programmed to automatically substitute Courier when a requested
> font cannot be found.

<nitpick>

Not exactly true. PostScript printers will usually substitute a font,
usually Courier, when a missing font is detected. However, this is not
mandated by the language, and some printers take other action. In Japan,
for example, the default font is usually a Kanji font, not Courier. Some
printers flag an error and stop instead of substituting Courier.

In this case, you are completely correct of course.
</nitpick>

1. font not exporting as eps from Quark. Why?

QuarkXpress enables you to save a page as an eps image.

I've used this function frequently to "capture" Quark page designs for use
in catalogs. However, sometimes, a typeface fails to export as part of the
Quark PostScript. So instead of the type knocking out of the image, the
image appears without any type on it at all when the Quark eps file is
opened into PhotoShop.

Does anyone know why a typeface might fail to be exported as part of an
eps file from Quark?

The type is a Type 1 PostScript file. Using Quark 3.3 on a Macintosh.

--
Peter Goodman
Stone Bridge Press

2. yamaha web site

3. Moving Job from Quark on Mac to Quark on Windows

4. c++2latex: problems with # in comments

5. Courier New - Why so light?

6. Notes on 3D Autocad 002 of ???

7. Why is Courier ugly?

8. VIP7800 ???

9. Summary of responses to "Why is Courier ugly?"

10. PC Quark to PDF w/custom kerning tables

11. Quark PC ligatures -- how?

12. How to make Quark-X-Press (Mac) read fonts of PC text application foreign fonts

13. Newbie Question: Why do my fonts print so dark?