Font example chart?

Post by Rall » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 00:10:12

Hi!

Adobe has a nice online type library with examples of all their fonts.
Does anyone know if there is some printable font example chart
covering these?

I would like to create a "catalogue" so that I can get a better
overview and easily compare different fonts (also when not sitting at
the computer).

Font example chart?

Post by Mike Yaneg » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 00:44:36

Rally wrote on 7/13/03 8:10 AM:

Quote:> Hi!

> Adobe has a nice online type library with examples of all their fonts.
> Does anyone know if there is some printable font example chart
> covering these?

> I would like to create a "catalogue" so that I can get a better
> overview and easily compare different fonts (also when not sitting at
> the computer).

We would all like that, so if you ever figure out a good way to do it, we'd
like to know!

Seriously, some foundries provide .pdf versions of their font collections,
but what I think you are asking is for something more comprehensive than an
assortment of font samples. When you think about the numbers of fonts, I
suppose you'll guess why there isn't anything quite like it. The closest I
have seen is the "Font Book" from FontShop International, with showings of
about 25,000 fonts (Price: $110, I think).

As a Font ID fanatic, I have piles of books and catalogs, and stacks of
website printouts of the collections of various foundries. Some of the best
web sites for getting a look at large numbers of fonts are MyFonts.com ( a
Bitstream site with many foundries shown), Fonts.com (Agfa-Monotype's site
which is growing to include more foundries), and FontPool
(http://www.fontpool.com/), which lets you set the text used for all
samples. Other sites with large collections are Phils Fonts
(http://www.philsfonts.com), FontHaus (http://www.fordesigners.com/) and
Precision Type (http://www.precisiontype.com), which also sells a pretty
useful (if aging) Font Guide for about $40, showing about 13,000 fonts.

I suppose there is a practical limit to the number of fonts you need to
know, but for me that is an academic concept.

- Mike Yanega
Bowfin Printworks
http://www.bowfinprintworks.com

Font example chart?

Post by Ala » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 01:55:32

> Adobe has a nice online type library with examples of all their fonts.
> Does anyone know if there is some printable font example chart
> covering these?

Font companies do actually print catalogues and advertising. At many
output centres I've seen wall posters of type samples, usually Adobe
fonts. I got something similar with CorelDraw (for their mostly
Bitstream fonts). I bought some software directly from Adobe a while
ago, along with it there was a little printed catalogue of most of
their fonts.
These are freebies, or packaged with stuff. If you're in a city, find
out who the local Adobe agents are and call or visit them, you'll
probably get something useful. Or if you know anyone in prepress, they
probably have a drawer full of such stuff.

Font example chart?

Post by David Aylot » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 21:09:56

A few useful additions to your font management utilities can be found
at:

http://www.aylott.com.au/software.htm

The font listing macro (LISTFONT) for MS Word produces a sorted list
of your fonts with multiple fonts to a page in the following format:

<fontname>
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

Other options are 'single line listings' or 'entire character set' for
each font. The output is fully configurable.

There's also another program (PFONT) that prints in the same format as
above but does not need MS Word.  PFONT allows you to view each font
and select the ones you want printed with up to three lines of
customised text. It also lets you save lists of your favourite fonts.

FONTFILE lets you View and Print a sorted list of your font names and
filenames. Allows a compact printed list of all your TTF, ATM and
Screen fonts to be kept for reference. FONTFILE can be used to
automatically compare saved and dated lists of fonts with those
currently installed. Very useful to find fonts that have been added or
deleted.

You will also find a LISTCLIP macro that produces a catalogue (set of
thumbnail pictures) of your graphics files.

Lots of other goodies there you may find useful.

Cheers!

>Hi!

>Adobe has a nice online type library with examples of all their fonts.
>Does anyone know if there is some printable font example chart
>covering these?

>I would like to create a "catalogue" so that I can get a better
>overview and easily compare different fonts (also when not sitting at
>the computer).

  ,-._|\    David Aylott (Author of PFONT and LISTFONT utilities)

 \_,--.x/   Shareware, FAQ, hints & tips at:
       v    http://www.aylott.com.au/