"Technical" font

Post by tit » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 03:13:48

Hello,

My bf has a font called "technical" in MS Word. I have Word 2000 but i
don't have this font. Where can I find it? and is there any reason i
shouldn't be using it? Do a lot of people use it?

Thanks

"Technical" font

Post by Andreas H?fel » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 05:20:53

Quote:> Hello,

> My bf has a font called "technical" in MS Word.

bf - *y fool (that's what Collins says, not me)?
Boy friend? *y file?

Quote:> I have Word 2000 but i
> don't have this font. Where can I find it?

It comes/came with Corel Draw (version 3 and later)
and is a clone of the "Tekton" font. (Tekton is Greek
for architect.)

Quote:> and is there any reason i shouldn't be using it?

1. You don't seem to have a proper license for it.
2. The font is over-used and looks like amateurish design.
3. The font is ugly and neither formal nor informal. There
   are better formal as well as informal fonts.

Quote:> Do a lot of people use it?

Too many, if you ask me.

Andreas

"Technical" font

Post by Lambert Dickmei » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 08:20:21

> > My bf has a font called "technical" in MS Word.

> > I have Word 2000 but i
> > don't have this font. Where can I find it?

You could ask your bf to copy it for you.

Quote:> It comes/came with Corel Draw (version 3 and later)
> and is a clone of the "Tekton" font. (Tekton is Greek
> for architect.)

> > and is there any reason i shouldn't be using it?
> 2. The font is over-used and looks like amateurish design.

I do not question your aesthetic judgment. But doesn't it depend on what
you want to use any given font for? Although Tekton/Technical might be a
bad choice for a resume, it might work well for on-screen use (eg in a
chat program) or the lettering in a technical drawing.

Quote:> 3. The font is ugly and neither formal nor informal. There
>    are better formal as well as informal fonts.

Which freely available font(s) would you recommend for architectual
drawings, and where should one look for them?
--
Lambert*meis

"Technical" font

Post by Andreas H?fel » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 15:02:15

Quote:> Although Tekton/Technical might be a
> bad choice for a resume, it might work well for on-screen use
> (eg in a chat program)

I doubt it. Anyway, the OP wrote about MS Word (not many
people's chat program)

Quote:> or the lettering in a technical drawing.

That's what it is meant to look like - neat hand printing
assisted by a stencil as architects use(d) it. If you want to
imitate that, I'd recommend Tekton.

Quote:> Which freely available font(s) would you recommend for architectual
> drawings, and where should one look for them?

If you do it with a computer use a formal serif or sans font.
I'd prefer Lucida Sans or Georgia, the usual Windows standard
fonts will do fine as well (not talking of Courier or Comic Sans).

HTH
Andreas

1. "Technical" font...where from?

I previously had the Technical font on my machine, but since
rebuilding it, it seems to be gone. I am not sure what program
installed the font, but I would like to use it again. If you have
ideas, please let me know. Thank you!
--
Adam Webb

Universal Internet Number(UIN): 118165

For a great, new net communication app!!
----Mirabilis ICQ----
Check out http://www.mirabilis.com/products.html

2. Cursor Color (Building page)

3. Anybody have the "technical" font?

4. is it Arabian Night

5. "book" vs "regular" vs "roman"

6. Why do I see things like this during replica/pull?

7. seeking: "Clarendon", "Renault", "Spaghetti Western WBW"

8. Bizarre memory crashing behavior.

9. "Technical" ?

10. Need Korean fonts "euc-kr" and "ks_c_5601-1987"

11. "opentype" should better be called "closed type"

12. Looking for public domain "bembo" and/or "caslon" (type 1)

13. I'am looking for "AMERICANA" and "LEGACY SANS" ....