Is there a font manager for Windows NT 4.0???

Is there a font manager for Windows NT 4.0???

Post by Kristoffer Bj?rkma » Sun, 19 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I've just installed Windows NT on a computer to try it out.

It seems though that none of the Win95 font handlers I know of are
compatible with NT. Surely there must be font handlers for NT?

Help would be greatly appreciated!

kristoffer

P.S. Yep. I know that NT converts Type 1 fonts to TTF, so that's not the
thing I'm after. I want to be able to group my fonts and have a
userfriendly way to install different libraries...

Is there a font manager for Windows NT 4.0???

Post by Mario Georgio » Wed, 22 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Kristoffer Bj?rkman,
You can try ATM for Windows NT 4.0 ... it should be available by now
from Adobe....

Mario Georgiou

Post by Jim Guthri » Thu, 23 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> Kristoffer Bj?rkman,
> You can try ATM for Windows NT 4.0 ... it should be available by now
> from Adobe....

> Mario Georgiou

I have it at home. While it does some things well, it isn't a full
manager. Adobe kneecapped it by eliminating the ability to actually
relocate fonts. Its library function seems to just manage pointers to the
locations of the actual fonts. (Of course you can install fonts too.)

Things it is missing:
1. Ability to export fonts (perhaps understandable out of fear of
piracy)
2. Ability to move fonts amongst libraries on the host (not so
understandable)
3. Ability to preview more than one font simultaneously. (I really miss
this as I bought the package hoping to be able to pick and choose amongst
all the variants of common faces that I have accumulated.)
4. Does not seem to take advantage of W95 or even W3.x conventions"
--if you want to move a font into a library, as opposed to copy it, you
have to A: copy it into the library B: verify that the copy was good C:
find the origin library location and then delete the reference.
--all of this should be able to be accomplished by a single drag and drop
with the shift key held down.
5. May be unstable when lots of modifications are made without exiting
the application and re-opening it. (I can't confirm that this is not a
function of my particular environment, but doing a lot of moves into
libraries, sometimes the system would lock up, but doing a few at a time
and closing ATM4 then re-opening did not have the same effect.)
6. (May be W95 problem, not ATM) even when one deactivates fonts, the
error message that too many fonts are active stays up. Exiting ATM and
re-opening it causes the message to go away)

Having said all that, I don't know what is better yet still compatible
with ATM4 display control and W95. Qualitype looks interesting but I have
not tried it out at home. Ideally the various font managers should be
able to see common library environments, but the shareware I have tried
does not seem to be able to access ATM libraries.

--
James Guthrie, Senior Planner
Public Education Project, Planning Services Branch

Opinions are not necessarily that of the City
(or even myself if I thought about it more).

Post by Stacy Coo » Mon, 27 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> Kristoffer Bj?rkman,
> You can try ATM for Windows NT 4.0 ... it should be available by now
> from Adobe....

> Mario Georgiou

When some one finds out will they please mail me?

quickly.

thanks,

Stace