Searching for PT Impressive Bold

Post by Bria » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 22:39:44

Years ago, I had a series of fonts that were installed when I loaded a
Parsons Technologies application.  It wasn't Annoucements, their
address labels application or Family Origins.  I still own the app,
but I can't find the font that I need.  Broderbund, who now owns the
PT applications, has no idea what I'm talking about.

Can someone help me?  If you can at least tell me which applications
used to install those fonts, I would greatly appreciate it.

Brian A.

Searching for PT Impressive Bold

Post by Characte » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 01:13:53

PT Impressive and PT Impressive Bold are slightly renamed (added the PT)
versions of fonts originally from "Kinghorn".
Parsons has a large collection of these (about 100); I can't determine
which of Parsons' myriad applications included them.

Most of the Kinghorn fonts are clones or reproductions of other
foundries' originals.
Mike Yanega doesn't list Impressive in his exhaustive Script Font
reference data at
http://bowfinprintworks.com/ScriptIDGuide.html

If you ask in alt.binaries.fonts, I'll be glad to post the two
Impressive fonts there.

 - Character

Post by Bria » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 21:02:24

> PT Impressive and PT Impressive Bold are slightly renamed (added the PT)
> versions of fonts originally from "Kinghorn".
> Parsons has a large collection of these (about 100); I can't determine
> which of Parsons' myriad applications included them.

> Most of the Kinghorn fonts are clones or reproductions of other
> foundries' originals.
> Mike Yanega doesn't list Impressive in his exhaustive Script Font
> reference data at
> http://bowfinprintworks.com/ScriptIDGuide.html

> If you ask in alt.binaries.fonts, I'll be glad to post the two
> Impressive fonts there.

>  - Character

Thanks.  I have just posted the request.

1. Windows scales up a 12-pt font when a 24-pt font is there???

I mentioned something about this problem in another post as an aside,
but I thought it might be worth mentioning on its own.

I've been experimenting with bundling .FNT files into .FON files (after
writing a crude Macintosh-to-PC bitmap font converter). For the most
part, I seem to have things working well. However, a strange thing
happens:

I can show a 24-point font in a .FON by itself, but if I package it with
a 12-point font, Windows actually favors scaling the 12-point font up to
24 in an ugly, chunky way rather than using the actual 24-point font!!!
The same thing is true if I put a 9-point and an 18-pt font in the same
file -- Windows favors scaling the 9-point font over directly using the
18-point font! I can, however, package a 9-point font with a 24-point
font (with 24 not being a multiple of 9 apparently the key here) and get
both fonts to display properly.

This kind of scaling problem doesn't happen with Microsoft's own bitmap
fonts, so it's got to be possible to make this work. As an experiment, I
extracted all of the fonts from the MS Sans Serif .FON file (six of
them: 8-, 10-, 12-, 14-, 18- and 24-point) as .FNT files, modified the
names slightly and then repackaged them into a new font (call MS Xans
Serif just to make it a little different) using the .FNT -> .FON
converter I wrote. I was still able to get a true 24-point font, rather
than a scaled 12-point. So it seems that my .FNT -> FON converter works
okay, but that there might be something subtly wrong with the .FNT files
themselves that makes this scaling problem happen. Very confusing!

-Kerry

2. Composite primary key across hierarchy?

3. In Search of Syntax Bold Font for PC

4. Cheapest 1000m Lan?

5. Searching for Albertus Extra Bold

6. Lectureship, Research Fellowship and PhDs in Evolutionary Computation

7. searching for Kadmos bold...

8. NAL 2.0 beta

9. britannic bold bold

10. need britannic bold-bold

11. Bauhaus Font ID Exhibit-Pt 3

12. Underlining Times Roman using bold but without BOLD underline

13. Looking for: Bembo (bold, semi bold)