Font manager for PC

Post by manon ségui » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 00:10:51

Hi, i m working on a PC and i am used to Macz: i am trying to add fonts
froma CD on ATM. It doesn`t work, i tried rebooting (2 times), tried to drag
and drop in the folder, tried to add, and copy in the folder, it doesn`t
react at all. I was wondering if there is an equeivalent to ATM for PC from
another compagny. Preferably one that i can tryout before buying.

Thanks
Manon

Font manager for PC

Post by Characte » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 01:06:34

What you need depends on what version of Windows you're using.
Windows XP and 2000 have built in Type 1 support (except for Multiple
Master fonts - in which case you need ATM).

To install fonts in those Windows systems, either go to Control
Panel/Fonts or open the Windows/Fonts folder, then select File / Install
New Fonts. You cannot simply drag and drop type 1 fonts (and it's not
recommended for truetype, although it works).

Other Windows versions (3.1, 95, 98, ME, NT) ABSOLUTELY REQUIRE ATM for
Type 1 fonts. (NT will convert T1 to truetype - it works but it's better
to use the T1 fonts in native mode)
"ATM Light" for the PC is free from Adobe at
http://www.adobe.com/products/atmlight/download.html
This has full installation and support; the pay program, "ATM Deluxe"
adds font management capabilities.

If your CD is for the MAC, Mac Type 1 and Truetype fonts need to be
converted for use on the PC; OTF fonts are interchangeable
Useful conversion tools are Crossfont and Transtype

  - Character

> Hi, i m working on a PC and i am used to Macz: i am trying to add fonts
> froma CD on ATM. It doesn`t work, i tried rebooting (2 times), tried to drag
> and drop in the folder, tried to add, and copy in the folder, it doesn`t
> react at all. I was wondering if there is an equeivalent to ATM for PC from
> another compagny. Preferably one that i can tryout before buying.

> Thanks
> Manon

Font manager for PC

Post by manon ségui » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 02:29:19

Thanks Character, it willsurely help!

Manon