After Move Mailbox upgrade

Post by madma » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 03:03:32

Recently upgraded from 5.5 to 2000 using the move mailbox
method. Wanted to test the upgrade before making anything
too permanent, so I have yet to rehome the Public
Folders, etc. Have shut down the 5.5 server and nearly
everything appears to be working fine. However, on
occasion Outlook appears to be looking for information
from the 5.5 server and times out rather than looking on
the new 2000 server. The users' profiles that are
experiencing this are pointing to the new server and
report no other problems. The problem happens when
dealing with older messages that were never sent,when
checking POP mail, or opening up Other Users' Folders
that had been opened previously while still on the 5.5
server. Before removing the 5.5 server from the site, I
would like to know if these symptoms are typical or if
they are indicators of potential problems. If so, what
can be done to correct? Thank you in advance.

After Move Mailbox upgrade

Post by Melissa Travers [MSFT » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 03:59:37

Hi Madman,

You will want to replicate your System Folders over to the E2k server
(Schedule+ Free/Busy, Offline Address List)  Do this first.  Verify via ADSI
edit that the SiteFolderServer is E2k and not the 5.5 following the article
below

284200 Schedule+ Free/Busy System Folder Is Missing
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=284200

Also sometimes the users profile caches references to the old server.  Even
though the profiles point to E2k, try creating a new profile.

We always recommend you leave the 5.5 server online for a week to be sure
that you dont have problems like the ones you are experiencing now.  To
properly decommission the 5.5 server, follow these articles

284148 XADM: How to Remove the Last Exchange Server 5.5 Computer from an
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=284148

Hope this helps

--
Melissa Travers, MCSE
Microsoft Exchange Support

purposes only.

Quote:> Recently upgraded from 5.5 to 2000 using the move mailbox
> method. Wanted to test the upgrade before making anything
> too permanent, so I have yet to rehome the Public
> Folders, etc. Have shut down the 5.5 server and nearly
> everything appears to be working fine. However, on
> occasion Outlook appears to be looking for information
> from the 5.5 server and times out rather than looking on
> the new 2000 server. The users' profiles that are
> experiencing this are pointing to the new server and
> report no other problems. The problem happens when
> dealing with older messages that were never sent,when
> checking POP mail, or opening up Other Users' Folders
> that had been opened previously while still on the 5.5
> server. Before removing the 5.5 server from the site, I
> would like to know if these symptoms are typical or if
> they are indicators of potential problems. If so, what
> can be done to correct? Thank you in advance.

After Move Mailbox upgrade

Post by madma » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 03:16:01

Thank you, Melissa. I'm looking into this right now.
Perhaps you (or someone else) could answer a couple other
questions for me. We only had one 5.5 server prior to
upgrading, and the instructions for removing the first
server as compared to the last server differ. Should both
articles be followed? Also, while troubleshooting the
inability for a user to logon to their own mailbox, I saw
several references to an "Exchange Advanced" tab that is
supposed to be in the AD. I have other Exchange-related
tabs in the AD, but not that one. Why is this and can it
be remedied?
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi Madman,

>You will want to replicate your System Folders over to
the E2k server
>(Schedule+ Free/Busy, Offline Address List)  Do this

first.  Verify via ADSI
Quote:>edit that the SiteFolderServer is E2k and not the 5.5

following the article
Quote:>below

>284200 Schedule+ Free/Busy System Folder Is Missing
>http://support.microsoft.com/?id=284200

>Also sometimes the users profile caches references to

the old server.  Even
Quote:>though the profiles point to E2k, try creating a new
profile.

>We always recommend you leave the 5.5 server online for
a week to be sure
>that you dont have problems like the ones you are

experiencing now.  To
Quote:>properly decommission the 5.5 server, follow these
articles

>284148 XADM: How to Remove the Last Exchange Server 5.5
Computer from an
>http://support.microsoft.com/?id=284148

>Hope this helps

>--
>Melissa Travers, MCSE
>Microsoft Exchange Support

>Please do not send email directly to this alias. This

alias is for newsgroup
>purposes only.

confers no rights.

>> Recently upgraded from 5.5 to 2000 using the move
mailbox
>> method. Wanted to test the upgrade before making
anything
>> too permanent, so I have yet to rehome the Public
>> Folders, etc. Have shut down the 5.5 server and nearly
>> everything appears to be working fine. However, on
>> occasion Outlook appears to be looking for information
>> from the 5.5 server and times out rather than looking
on
>> the new 2000 server. The users' profiles that are
>> experiencing this are pointing to the new server and
>> report no other problems. The problem happens when
>> dealing with older messages that were never sent,when
>> checking POP mail, or opening up Other Users' Folders
>> that had been opened previously while still on the 5.5
>> server. Before removing the 5.5 server from the site, I
>> would like to know if these symptoms are typical or if
>> they are indicators of potential problems. If so, what
>> can be done to correct? Thank you in advance.

>.

After Move Mailbox upgrade

Post by Melissa Travers [MSFT » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 00:37:14

If I am not mistaken, the article on removing the last 5.5 server references
the article on removing the first one, and both articles should be followed
if the server had both of these roles.

To view Exchange Advanced, in Active Directory Users and Computers go to
View -Advanced Features and check this to enable.

Hope this helps

--
Melissa Travers, MCSE
Microsoft Exchange Support

purposes only.

> Thank you, Melissa. I'm looking into this right now.
> Perhaps you (or someone else) could answer a couple other
> questions for me. We only had one 5.5 server prior to
> upgrading, and the instructions for removing the first
> server as compared to the last server differ. Should both
> articles be followed? Also, while troubleshooting the
> inability for a user to logon to their own mailbox, I saw
> several references to an "Exchange Advanced" tab that is
> supposed to be in the AD. I have other Exchange-related
> tabs in the AD, but not that one. Why is this and can it
> be remedied?

1. Ex55 -> E2K Migration Using Move Mailbox Upgrade

I am currently working in a test lab.  I have setup 4
servers, 2 are NT4(one PDC and one member Ex55 Server).
The other 2 are W2K w/AD(one DC and the other a member E2K
Server).  I have set this scenario up with a two-way trust
between the NT4 and W2K active directory domain.  I
populated the NT4 domain by exporting my production user
directory info from Ex55.  So now my test NT4 and Ex55 are
very similar to my production.

I setup an ADC on the W2K DC with a one-way CA from
Exchange 5.5 to W2K active directory.  When I installed
the E2K server, I chose to join an Exchange 5.5 site.  Now
it is a member of the Ex55 site.

I was able to successfully move a mailbox from the Ex55
server to the E2K server.  If I log into the NT4 domain,
on the NT4 system and run Outlook.  I am able to log on as
one of the NT4 user accounts into the NT4 domain and
access the moved mailbox on the E2K server.

The problem is, I cannot log into the W2K domain/active
directory as the replicated user and log into that same
E2K mailbox.  I get the default error: Unable to open
default e-mail folders.

How do I get a mailbox moved successfully that will allow
the new W2K account to access it?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Jeff E.

2. Missing public folders

3. Moving Mailbox upgrade

4. Sending mail to a single account

5. Move Mailboxes Upgrade

6. How does IFS work?

7. Outlook hanging after move mailbox upgrade

8. Mailbox full Message

9. Move mailbox upgrade out of sync??

10. Move Mailbox upgrade process did not update all AD accounts

11. Error message after move-mailbox upgrade

12. Move Mailbox upgrade 5.5 to 2000

13. moving mailbox from exchange 5.5 to exchange 2000 after upgrade