Exchange 2003 Beta 2--Windows 2003 Server

Exchange 2003 Beta 2--Windows 2003 Server

Post by Matthew Le » Fri, 16 May 2003 13:29:26

Has anyone had problems with the Exchange 2003 beta
causing a Windows Server 2003 to hang on shutdown?

I have re-installed multiple times.  I promote the Win
2003 Server to be the Domain Controller (the only DC on
the network).  Then I add in the required prereqs (IIS,
NNTP, SMTP).  I install Exchange beta 2 with typical
settings.  The installation completes fine, but the
Server will hang when I try to shutdown or reboot from
that point on.

If you have a similar problem, or if you've found a
solution please let me know.

Exchange 2003 Beta 2--Windows 2003 Server

Post by Troy » Fri, 16 May 2003 14:00:54

The 2 installations on 2 seperate networks do the same
thing with same config.   I finally get tired of waiting
and hit the power switch after the HD activity slows
down.   They eventually will shut down if you wait long
enough.   Sorry I havn't taken the time yet to see exactly
whats about exchange is causing it.

Troy

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Has anyone had problems with the Exchange 2003 beta
>causing a Windows Server 2003 to hang on shutdown?

>I have re-installed multiple times.  I promote the Win
>2003 Server to be the Domain Controller (the only DC on
>the network).  Then I add in the required prereqs (IIS,
>NNTP, SMTP).  I install Exchange beta 2 with typical
>settings.  The installation completes fine, but the
>Server will hang when I try to shutdown or reboot from
>that point on.

>If you have a similar problem, or if you've found a
>solution please let me know.

>.

Exchange 2003 Beta 2--Windows 2003 Server

Post by William Lefkovics [MVP » Fri, 16 May 2003 19:03:02

I've done about 20 from PII to P4 and while patience is sometimes necessary,
I have not explicitly seen this.
You could try stopping the Exchange Services manually first.

William

Quote:> The 2 installations on 2 seperate networks do the same
> thing with same config.   I finally get tired of waiting
> and hit the power switch after the HD activity slows
> down.   They eventually will shut down if you wait long
> enough.   Sorry I havn't taken the time yet to see exactly
> whats about exchange is causing it.

> Troy

Post by Michael Lamberso » Fri, 16 May 2003 20:07:01

When EX2003 is installed on a DC you will have this issue.
It may take approximately 10 minutes for the server to shutdown. This
is because the AD service shuts down before the Exchange services, and
DSAccess will go through several timeouts before shutting down. The
workaround for this issue is to manually stop the Exchange services
before initiating a system shutdown or restart.

On Wed, 14 May 2003 21:29:26 -0700, "Matthew Lee"

>Has anyone had problems with the Exchange 2003 beta
>causing a Windows Server 2003 to hang on shutdown?

>I have re-installed multiple times.  I promote the Win
>2003 Server to be the Domain Controller (the only DC on
>the network).  Then I add in the required prereqs (IIS,
>NNTP, SMTP).  I install Exchange beta 2 with typical
>settings.  The installation completes fine, but the
>Server will hang when I try to shutdown or reboot from
>that point on.

>If you have a similar problem, or if you've found a
>solution please let me know.

Exchange 2003 Beta 2--Windows 2003 Server

Post by Matthew Le » Sat, 17 May 2003 07:46:21

I have tried to stop all exchange related services prior
to a shutdown or restart.  Still no luck.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Matthew Lee

confers no rights.
>.

Exchange 2003 Beta 2--Windows 2003 Server

Post by Neil Hobso » Sat, 17 May 2003 16:46:41

Does it shutdown eventually, or hang indefinitely?

--
Neil Hobson
Silversands

http://www.silversands.co.uk

> I have tried to stop all exchange related services prior
> to a shutdown or restart.  Still no luck.

> Any other ideas?

> Thanks,
> Matthew Lee

1. Installing Exchange 2003 Beta 2 on Windows Server 2003 RC2

I'm having some big problems getting it installed and I was wondering if
anybody else has had these problems and found any sort of way around it.

I originally had installed Exchange 2000 and gotten everything to work
except OWA.  I then found out it's not supposed to work at all, so I
uninstalled that and downloaded Exchange 2003 Beta 2.

I installed it, everything seemed to work fine, but once it was done,
nothing seemed to work, so I uninstalled it, hoping a reinstal would help
fix it, but I can not uninstall it, I get two error messages saying there
was a problem with Exchange ActiveSync and the other is a problem with
Exchange OMA Browse and both of them are Retry, Cancel Dialogs and Retry
doesn't work.  When I hit Cancel, it continues and uninstalls everything
except Exchange Messaging and Collaboration Services (although, it says it
failed and still shows up in Add/Remove Programs).

If I try to reinstall so I can mess with things to try to fix it, it asks
for the Exchange 5.5 server to connect to and I've never had one of those on
my box and I'm totally confused.

Has anyone seen this?  Is there a way for it to everything to uninstall?

Thanx

-Erik Porter
Microsoft .NET MVP

2. How to block mail relaying

3. EXC 2003 RC1 and Windows.Net Server 2003 Beta

4. Outlook archive and modify date

5. Win 2003 Exchange 2003 RC1 with Office 2003 Beta 2

6. adding a disclaimer through VBS script, relay issue

7. Granting DefaultAppPool Access to Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003

8. Basic Internet Connectivity Confusion...

9. Exchange 2003/Windows Server 2003

10. IIS problems with Exchange 2003/Windows 2003 Server

11. Exchange 2003 on Windows .NET Server 2003

12. Exchange 2003 RC1 with Outlook 2003 Beta 2

13. BETA 2003 - Outlook client will not connect to Exchange 2003 correctly