Setting up exchange

Post by Buzzar » Sun, 14 Dec 1997 04:00:00

My company is currently trying to design an exchange/intranet site.  We
currently do not have e-mail of any type.  I would like to ask a few
questions from people who have been through this.

We have users that span four states and are located in what we call super
regions.  they all connect to corporate via a 56k frame relay wan.  We are
rolling out NT at the same time to support this project.  We have 2000
users.  my questions are:

What NT domain structures should we consider?

Should we have all our exchange servers at corporate or should we place a
server in every region?  I think most mail will be intra regional with few
messages going to corporate and other regions.  What are the advantages and
disadvantages of each?

Will 56k be enough bandwidth to support what we are planning?

Is exchange easy to administer over the wire?

Any other pointers?

All help is appreciated.
Thanks
Sean

Setting up exchange

Post by Anthon » Tue, 16 Dec 1997 04:00:00

The most obvious arrangement would be a separate site and separate NT domain
in each super region.  However, there are many different factors to
consider, and you have provided information on only three (bandwidth, total
number of users, and expected traffic pattern).  The low bandwidth very much
militates in favor of separate sites and domains.  However, 56K bps is quite
slow no matter how you are using it--remember that domain and Exchange
traffic will both be travelling over this wire, and this can become
substantial in very short order.

Exchange is easy to administer from a distance, if you have sufficient
bandwidth.  I'd say that you'd want a good 28.8K bps at least for the
administrator client while it is in use.

--
Anthony

>My company is currently trying to design an exchange/intranet site.  We
>currently do not have e-mail of any type.  I would like to ask a few
>questions from people who have been through this.

>We have users that span four states and are located in what we call super
>regions.  they all connect to corporate via a 56k frame relay wan.  We are
>rolling out NT at the same time to support this project.  We have 2000
>users.  my questions are:

>What NT domain structures should we consider?

>Should we have all our exchange servers at corporate or should we place a
>server in every region?  I think most mail will be intra regional with few
>messages going to corporate and other regions.  What are the advantages and
>disadvantages of each?

>Will 56k be enough bandwidth to support what we are planning?

>Is exchange easy to administer over the wire?

>Any other pointers?

>All help is appreciated.
>Thanks
>Sean

1. Generic email set-ups possible?

We're using exchange 5.5 w/ Outlook 97 for our email system.

Using default setups:   when I set up 1 account on a PC, that person
can't get their email on any other PC  AND  no one else can use that PC
to get their email..

I'd like to have ALL outlook info be stored on the exchange server (or
at least not on the local PC) so someone can log-on any PC and get at
their old and new email and other Outlook info.

and conversly...   I'd like to be able to set up the PC so ANYONE on the
change server can log in and get their email.

can anyone provide help on what I need to do/set to make this happen?

David Tinklepaugh
Network Admin.
The Health Association

2. Exchange

3. Redirect mail !

4. Exchange 5.5 + OWA + Public Folder Access

5. HELP: Using Exchange to Manage Schedules and Sign-Ups

6. Smtp Question (can't send externally)

7. Exchange Server lock-ups

8. server lock ups - Exchange problem?

9. APC UPS and Exchange connection?

10. Reading old Exchange back-ups