OWA Front End BAckend Server specs for 500Users

Post by MV » Sat, 02 Nov 2002 02:05:07

>Can someone please recommend specs for both a front end and a back end
>server

>We have about 500 Users. Probably all will be mapi to the backend. and 300
>using OWA to the front end

>From Dell I got for front end server:

>Dual PIII 1.4 GHZ
>1 GB Ram
>3 36GB RAID Configuration (72GB Total)
>10/100/1000 Ethernet

>For BAck End
>Dual 2.8 GHZ Xeon
>2 GB Ram
>2 36GB (System Mirror) 3 (73GB) RAID 5 config
>10/100/1000 ethernet

>please comment.

Depends what you want the FE to do. If all you want to do is OWA then
you don't need that much storage.
I'd be a little concerned about front ending 300 users on one box
unless the concurrency were quite low. If you're going to have 300
concurrent then you might like to look at another FE box and use NLB
to keep the users life simple. Another of what you've got would be
ideal if it were me in the driving seat.
I don't like the back end disk config since you only get 3 drives in a
raid 5 you're wasting 72GB of storage and exposing your drive loss too
much. Is it too late to get a box that has two 18GB in a mirror and
then at least 4 36GB drives for the RAID5.
Mark Arnold MCSE MVP

Before U post...
http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq_appxc.htm

Post by Tony » Sat, 02 Nov 2002 01:40:29

Can someone please recommend specs for both a front end and a back end
server

We have about 500 Users. Probably all will be mapi to the backend. and 300
using OWA to the front end

From Dell I got for front end server:

Dual PIII 1.4 GHZ
1 GB Ram
3 36GB RAID Configuration (72GB Total)
10/100/1000 Ethernet

For BAck End
Dual 2.8 GHZ Xeon
2 GB Ram
2 36GB (System Mirror) 3 (73GB) RAID 5 config
10/100/1000 ethernet

please comment.

1. Front End (FE/BE) Backend Server SMTP Relay For IMAP Clients

I have recently implemented a FE/BE configuration for security reasons.  OWA
works perfectly when connecting to the front end.  But, if someone using
IMAP or POP when attaching to the FE, the Client (we are using Outlook
express) gives an error like the following:

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by

Subject '', Account: 'IMAP Mail', Server: '192.168.1.92', Protocol: SMTP,

Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

Now, the BE server has been configured for SMTP relay for a while, and IMAP
and POP3 works fine if you connect to it.  But the FE is the problem.  I
read some posts about setting up a Smart Host in SMTP, but I didn't know
exactly what they meant and I tried it and it didn't work on the FE and BE.
I also configured the FE SMTP relay exactly the same as the BE relay.

Any suggestions on how to set this up?  Or where I went wrong?

Thank you

            -Daric Smith

2. Deleting public folders

3. Front end / Backend servers

4. CDO/Exchange

5. 2 backend server and 1 front end

6. Restoring Exchange Server 4.0

7. Front end and Backend Server

8. Limit mailbox storage

9. Front End (FE/BE) Backend Server SMTP Relay For IMAP Clients

10. BETA: E2K3 Front end with E2K Backend Server

11. Front End (FE/BE) Backend Server SMTP Relay For IMAP Clients

12. No Front-End Server Checkbox for Font/Backend Configuration

13. OWA: Back End Server Works Fine, Front End Server Just Gives Logon Challenge Repeatedly