offline backup

Post by Gil » Fri, 11 May 2001 15:28:13

hi,
when i want to do an offline back of exchange server do i need to backup
only those files :
priv.edb
pub.edb
dir.ebd
or do i need to backup more files ?
another question:
i tried to backup all the echange directory on the server (contains 1.5
giga ), so what i did was to copy the directory to another server on my
network , but it took me too long (almost 1 hour and i stopped it in the
middle ) . what is the reason to this ? maybe some clients didnt closed
there outlook clients ? (i of course closed the exchange services on the
exchange server before i tried to copy the directory).
urgent, please help !!!
thanks,
Gil.

offline backup

Post by Lanwenc » Fri, 11 May 2001 20:42:05

Either use NT Backup on the Exchange server or get backup software like
Arcserve or Veritas with the appropriate Exchange agent and do an online
backup. Run full online backups to tape nightly.

If you shut down the Exchange services, it wouldn't matter that people had
Outlook open (in fact, they couldn't have been using it), so there are
probably other reasons that your copy failed - network problems, disk speed,
etc. Robocopy is the best utility for copying files like this. However, you
should still be doing online backups!

Quote:> hi,
> when i want to do an offline back of exchange server do i need to backup
> only those files :
> priv.edb
> pub.edb
> dir.ebd
> or do i need to backup more files ?
> another question:
> i tried to backup all the echange directory on the server (contains 1.5
> giga ), so what i did was to copy the directory to another server on my
> network , but it took me too long (almost 1 hour and i stopped it in the
> middle ) . what is the reason to this ? maybe some clients didnt closed
> there outlook clients ? (i of course closed the exchange services on the
> exchange server before i tried to copy the directory).
> urgent, please help !!!
> thanks,
> Gil.

offline backup

Post by Al William » Sat, 12 May 2001 00:57:47

You need to shut down the Exchange services to back those files up (you can
automate that using net start and net stop commands in a batch file).  Those
are the key ones but I'd backup all of the Exchsrvr directories (on all
drives - there can be more than one).  Offline backups will work OK for a
"not too important" exchange server, but you must set Exchange for circular
logging.  See MS Q183266.  Online backups using NTBACKUP or an Exchange
aware backup program are best.

--
Allan Williams
Harding Instruments

Quote:> hi,
> when i want to do an offline back of exchange server do i need to backup
> only those files :
> priv.edb
> pub.edb
> dir.ebd
> or do i need to backup more files ?
> another question:
> i tried to backup all the echange directory on the server (contains 1.5
> giga ), so what i did was to copy the directory to another server on my
> network , but it took me too long (almost 1 hour and i stopped it in the
> middle ) . what is the reason to this ? maybe some clients didnt closed
> there outlook clients ? (i of course closed the exchange services on the
> exchange server before i tried to copy the directory).
> urgent, please help !!!
> thanks,
> Gil.

1. files to backup on exchange 5.5 offline backup

hi,
if i want to make an offline backup for excahnge 5.5 . What files do i need
to backup except the: priv.edb, pub.edb and dir.edb .
i know i have to backup also the log files. but where does the log files i
have to backup are located ?
anything else do i need to backup ???
thanks,
Gil.

2. NDR: 522 Too Much mail data

3. Cannot access OWA from the local network

4. Restore indivdual mailbox from an offline backup?

5. Good Web Hosting Service

6. Utilitly needed to remotely stop Exchange services for offline backup

7. Weird Exchange Occurance..

8. Problems after restoring IS+DS from offline backup

9. How can I mount a renamed storage group after offline backups

10. W2K Server Exchange 5.5 offline backup routine

11. Exchange offline backup restore

12. Offline Backups